Garmin compatibility announcement

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Garmin compatibility announcement

Post by Velocomp »

We are pleased to announce that we have implemented full Garmin compatibility with the iBike.

Garmin/iBike compatibility requires the use of an iBike wireless mount, and the installation of for-purchase iBike firmware that enables Garmin compatibility. The firmware update will be serialized to the owner's iBike, similar to the way the trainer key works.

If you are using the combined Garmin speed/cadence sensor the iBike will be able read its signal. The Garmin HR strap (which is identical in technology to the iBike HR strap) will also be read by the iBike. So, if you own Garmin sensors it will NOT be necessary to use any iBike speed/cadence/HR sensors.

The iBike will also transmit its power signal to the 705.

You will be able to use Garmin units and the iBike at the same time; the sensors will work with both iBike and Garmin receivers simultaneously.

Also, we will also make it possible to purchase the wireless mount ONLY, without any sensors.

We will make announcements about firmware and wireless mount pricing soon.
John Hamann
Julius

Re: Garmin compatibility announcement

Post by Julius »

Thank you. This product just keeps getting better and better. :)

Julius
Derath

Post by Derath »

Cool,

Hopefully the pricing won't be too bad. This is something I have been waiting for before jumping in to the ibike deep end.

Will there be any chance that models moving forward will come with this firmware already installed? Or will it always be a purchased upgrade?
[edit]
Also any thoughts for a combined garmin/indoor trainer firmware? For people that want both?

-D
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

This will be an optional upgrade for those who want it.

We'll certainly look in to combo packages for optional firmware updates.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Well this will be perfect!! You said that the power reading will be sent to the 705, I assume this means it wont be sent to the 305? No where to send it I guess. I'll email gamin about updating there firm where put could you gays do that as well!
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The 305 is not capable of receiving data from other units.Besides, I don't think you will ever see another firmware update for the 305 now that the 705 is out. Garmin would bring the sale of their new unit to a halt.
Fernando
Derath

Post by Derath »

No transmitting to a 305. But at least you can use the same speed/cadence sensor for a 305 and ibike. Good enough for me. I honestly am not sure the benefit of getting power data in a 705 with an ibike anyhow.

-D
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Derath wrote:I honestly am not sure the benefit of getting power data in a 705 with an ibike anyhow.
-D
There is no "real" benefit, but there definitely is a "cool" factor. It puts all the data neatly in one place. WKO+ at this time cannot do it as far as I have been able to figure out. You upload your power data and separately upload your GPS data if you want. However they are counted as two separate exercises throwing off the totals.

SportTracks http://www.zonefivesoftware.com software can bring both the GPS data and the power data into the same activity. I use it now with my 305 and the 705 will make the process a breeze. Although it is donationware, it is very extensive. Through the use of plugins by other developers powermeter users get another way to look at their data. For instance you can drag and select a portion of a ride based on location (which is difficult without a map) and look at just those totals. Sorry if this became an ad for SportTracks, that was not the intention.
Fernando
Derath

Post by Derath »

Yea the combined data is moderatly cool. And I can see the benefit with other PM's. If you could use say a Powertap hub but with a 705 head unit, you keep a nice clean cockpit and still get all of your data. But with the ibike that doesn't help since the sensors and "head unit" are one.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I don't see sales of the 705 dropping just because the firmware is up dated on the 305. The 705 is very sweet, with color, maps, the ability to share routes wirelessly and a memory slot (ibike guys would do well to add this feature to the ibike so you could add more work outs and other data). I love my 305 but really it's a big step up to the 705.

The other advantage for me for buying the wireless mount for the ibkike is that then I can use it on my wind trainer. Of course all of the fore mentioned reasons as well.

Having all the data on one unit would be nice and they you could compare everything and know exactly the route that you did.

For sure the powertap and garmin 705 would be a sweet setup but your talking about $1700 worth of gear, the bike I'm riding right now isn't even worth that much!! Anyways, I admit I am a bit of a tecno geek and love my toys but at the end of the day it's about how many watts you are cranking out, everything else is fluff, right?

L
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

(thank you)
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

All I need now is the price for two wireless mounts and the firmware upgrade. Super! :D

I do have a complete Edge 305 (fully boxed Heart-rate, cadence and speed, handle bar mount or stem mount) never been used I'd like to sell if someone is interested in a 305 @ 50% list.
Derath

Post by Derath »

Larry wrote:For sure the powertap and garmin 705 would be a sweet setup but your talking about $1700 worth of gear, the bike I'm riding right now isn't even worth that much!! Anyways, I admit I am a bit of a tecno geek and love my toys but at the end of the day it's about how many watts you are cranking out, everything else is fluff, right?

L
I agree in, but you are missing the point of my post. The benefit in the powertap+705 combo is the ability of having just one device on your handlebar (ie the 705) and not needing the powertap head unit. Of course this doesn't work with the ibike since you still need the ibike on your handlebar. Having combined data is nice, but the ability of power on the 705 along with the ibike doesn't unclutter my handlebars.

Keep in mind this isn't a slight on the ibike at all. Just an observation. The simple ability to use the garmin sensors is enough justification of the new firmware on its own.

-D
Derath

Post by Derath »

Hey,

Here is an off the wall question. Will the Ibike cadence/speed sensor work with a garmin?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Garmin could certainly implement compatibility with the iBike sensors but I doubt they will do it. :D
John Hamann
Larry

Post by Larry »

Derath

I see your point and with both the 305 and ibike in my cock pit I agree it's less then perfect. What I would like to see is garmin join forces with ibike to create one clean unit and still keep the price reasonable, and there lies the rub.

L
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Larry,
Why don't you call them. They certainly have more in their product development budget than we do right now, and, they own the protocol....

BTW, stonewalling in the industry is mandatory, as well as planned obsolescence and utter disdain for pragmatic solutions.

"you want WHAT?"
Larry

Post by Larry »

Richard, I hear you and Garmin, while they make great product are not anywhere close to you guys on listening to there customers. I'm sure you guys would be open to doing something with them but as you have implied it doesn't seem that it would go both ways, I'm sure. I emailed them about the 305 and if they would have a FW update and they simple said no, but the 705 will show the power from the Ibike.... Anyway I will email them and I suggest that everyone on this forum email them and ask for a firmware up date on the 305 to show power. It's the only way they will listen.

Look forward to the wireless mount for the Ibike I hope that it wont be too much.
Derath

Post by Derath »

Larry wrote:Richard, I hear you and Garmin, while they make great product are not anywhere close to you guys on listening to there customers. I'm sure you guys would be open to doing something with them but as you have implied it doesn't seem that it would go both ways, I'm sure. I emailed them about the 305 and if they would have a FW update and they simple said no, but the 705 will show the power from the Ibike.... Anyway I will email them and I suggest that everyone on this forum email them and ask for a firmware up date on the 305 to show power. It's the only way they will listen.

Look forward to the wireless mount for the Ibike I hope that it wont be too much.
Well in Garmin's defense, I don't know if the 305 would even be able to get power data. The Specs for the 305 say it uses the Ant protocol, but the 705 speciically states Ant+sport. I would say the 305 uses an older version that probably is not compatible in the same way as ant+sport. Maybe isn't even the same chipset. Garmin didn't buy Dynastream until almsot a year after the 305 was released.

-D
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

I got two or three firmware updates today and we're showing watts on both the 705 and iBike. So we're making good progress.

And while the Garmin is slightly heavy, it's a really nice product.
Larry

Post by Larry »

One other advantage that I thought of of using the 705 as well is that you can use their interval set up, which I'm sorry to say is much better then the Ibikes. I am interested to know if the 705 can do power based intervals? Rich could you tell me that? Not that I need another reason to get the 705;) just have to pass it by the minister of finance!
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Good question - all I have is the 705 right now, not even a charger/downloader. Is the software available on their website?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Whareagle wrote:Good question - all I have is the 705 right now, not even a charger/downloader. Is the software available on their website?
This will get you going. Check under workouts. You should be able to charge from a mini usb cable attached to the computer.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... 60&pID=331

I just checked the Workouts Tab of Training Center. Using both Intervals 1 and also trying a new workout, the parameters are HR,CAD and SPD. Power is not one of the criteria.
Fernando
Larry

Post by Larry »

Yes I know that the 305 has other type packaged workouts but with power you would think they would broaden the scope.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

For your information, the iBike G firmware is now available at the iBike Store. Also, it is now possible to purchase an iBike wireless mount WITHOUT sensors.

If you don't own an iBike but want to get an iBike that will work with Garmin sensors, purchase the following:

iBike Pro, wired version
iBike wireless mount, no sensors
iBike G firmware
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I just installed the "G" firmware upgrade and it worked perfectly. I now have just the Garmin GSC-10 sensor and of course a HR strap. Both the 305 and the iBike are displaying all the appropriate data correctly.

When I get the 705 I'll have an even bigger smile on my face. :D
Fernando
Larry

Post by Larry »

It's a little unclear or maybe it's just me. If you buy the wireless mount for your bike do you get the firmware? I'm talking about the garmin mount only here and the G firmware. I hope so for $150.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

There is no such thing as a wireless "G" mount. There is only the "G" firmware upgrade.

Anyone with a wireless mount can buy the firmware upgrade to convert to read the Garmin sensor.

If you have a wired mount and want to convert to wireless AND you have a Garmin on your bike then buy a wireless head and the "G" firmware upgrade. $149 for wireless mount and $99 "G" firmware.

I upgraded mine yesterday and it's perfect.
Fernando
Larry

Post by Larry »

So your saying I need both!!! Thats too much I think.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Already have on your bike another product with ANT + Sport speed, cadence, and HR sensors? If so, all you need to upgrade your iBike to wireless is the Wireless Mount Receiver. Your iBike Wireless Mount receiver will pick-up the speed, cadence and HR signals from your ANT + Sport sensors and send them to your iBike! Includes: - Wireless mount (select handlebar or stem version) - Accessory kit for mounting to your bike - Instructions CD - Does NOT include speed, cadence, and HR sensors
$149.00

I think this is all I need to have my garmin sensors work with the Ibike. The firmware works if you already have a wireless ibike
Share one set of speed, cadence, and heart rate sensors between your iBike and your Garmin®.

The new iBike G firmware allows the iBike to transmit iBike Pro power data from the iBike wireless mount to the new Garmin Edge® 705, making the iBike Pro the first ANT+Sport-enabled power meter to allow Edge® series owners to view power output along with GPS data on their Garmin display.

Because the iBike can receive signals from wireless ANT+ SportTM sensors , it is NOT necessary to use iBike Pro wireless sensors (speed, cadence and HR) to use the iBike G firmware; however, you must own an iBike with wireless mount. The iBike wireless mount, without iBike sensors, can now be purchased separately.

$99.00

Thanks why I'm writing I'm not sure