Mount options

Millmouse

Mount options

Post by Millmouse »

I am disappointed to say the mount that came standard with the dash broke completely in pieces after just three months.
I think it is also quite a big unit and it made the whole dash rattle on my steer anyway.

I checked out the other option offered by velocomp but this one doesn't work on my FSA stem.
The cap does not have a long bolt but a short one hidden in the stem and the cap is a screw down one with wire in the stem.

Does anyone have good ideas on how to attach the dash to my steer??
RGA

Re: Mount options

Post by RGA »

I had to get a longer bolt and add some washers. I used the washers to raise the unit high enough to clear the bar stem. Other than that it works fine with me. Case does rattle against the Bar stem bolts but I put some little rubber pads underneath and that quieted it.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
Millmouse

Post by Millmouse »

The bolt in my stem seems to be locked in really tight. Does this bolt hold some vital part down? I guess it needs to be replaced with a bolt that holds whatever it's holding down with the same force. This force will be applied on the stem holder/mount. Is it strong enough?

I am also curious what velocomp has to say about the holder falling apart?!
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

There are a few different designs of the stem bolt and how it holds that handle bar/stem in place.

It depends on the bike manufaturer and what they chose to implement. The handle bar may clamp on to the outside of the steerer tube through the stem. The stem is affixed to the steerer tube by the clamps, but also a slip fitting inside of the tube (in many cases) - which is where the bolt going into the center of the steerer tightens - fixing this to the fork. Depending on the materials made - you may have a torque requirement - high end configurations can use carbon here and over-torquing results in fractures and lots of $$.

The combination of the screws on the collar of the stem and the bolt in the center of the steerer keep the handlebar from twisting and not steering - so they should be tight, but again, on any good bike setup there is going to be a torque specification for all the screws/bolts. Sounds to me like your may be a little too tight.

Chekc with you LBS or look in your bike's manuals for torque values and do a Google for more details, ifg you need to better understand this.

Tom
Roadiemark

Post by Roadiemark »

Hi

I got fed up with the way the mount work on trek madone so i have designed my own and printed out on our 3D printer were i work check out the photos, i also made a new air in take that i can leave in and open the door the get photo and battery out.

i have designed the mount so thats the phone booth sits flat on top of the stem not up in the air as that look ugly also by sitting it on the stem it stops the booth boucing on rough roads.

mark
Attachments
637 (Small).jpg
637 (Small).jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 11550 times
635 (Small).jpg
635 (Small).jpg (88.69 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
Trek Madone 5.5
Suunto t6c
Garmin Edge 800
Garmin FR910 XT
isport
ibike Dash+power
ithlete
Millmouse

Post by Millmouse »

@ Mark,
That looks brilliant dude! Why didn't velo come up with this.
One question, I think there is no way the dash is attached with a screw to the holder?
Doesn't it shake off the bike during the ride?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Some kind of mounting screw is missing but the 3d printer choice is about as modern as you can get. I'm impressed, what is the material?
Fernando
Roadiemark

Post by Roadiemark »

Hi Guys

the material is PVL plastic i plan on printing a new one but out of black ABS next which will look even better, as for the screw its not needed as the shoe and foot are wedged shape and because mt new mount is plastic it grips the photo booth, once its on theres no way its going to shack off to get it off you need to give it a shape knock to move it to then side off.

if you can get your hands on a 3D printer give it a go :D

mark
Trek Madone 5.5
Suunto t6c
Garmin Edge 800
Garmin FR910 XT
isport
ibike Dash+power
ithlete