Differences between iBike Dash+Power and Powerhouse?

ellislo

Differences between iBike Dash+Power and Powerhouse?

Post by ellislo »

What are the differences between the two, as both can do power measurement, but one selling for 750 while the other only selling for 270..... :?:
ellislo

Re: Differences between iBike Dash+Power and Powerhouse?

Post by ellislo »

Anyone from Velocomp?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The +Power and POWERHOUSE share the same, underlying power measurement method and electronic circuitry.

However, the two products are targeted to two very different types of cyclists.

The +Power is designed for enthusiast-to-competitive cyclists: cyclists who are numbers-oriented, who understand power training, or who have a cycling coach. The +Power is feature-rich, completely customizable, and compatible with external software such as WKO+ and iBike software.

The POWERHOUSE is designed for mainstream cyclists, who want to ride their bike better, to achieve specific health and fitness benefits, but who have no interest in competitive cycling, power numbers, and the intracicies of power training methods. The POWERHOUSE focuses on simplicity and is a standalone product.

Here are the specific differences:

The +Power includes a HR strap and spare battery. POWERHOUSE does not

The +Power displays power numbers in watts; the POWERHOUSE displays (FTP-based) power zones, no power numbers. (Note that while FTP is measured, FTP is never displayed or "talked about" in the POWERHOUSE app).

The +Power includes the fully configureable/customizable iBike app and screens. The POWERHOUSE app screens are not configurable or customizable.

The +Power is data rich: speed/distance/time/cadence/HR/Power/hill slope/wind speed...and much, much more, all customizable by the user. The POWERHOUSE is data-simple and data fields displayed is not customizable.

The POWERHOUSE will not work with the iBike app.

The +Power works with iBike software and WKO+; the POWERHOUSE does not.

The +Power reads DFPM sensor data; the POWERHOUSE does not.

The +Power includes advanced interval workouts oriented towards competitive cycling objectives; the POWERHOUSE has simplified, interval-based plans that are oriented towards health and fitness benefits (weight loss, general fitness, body shaping).

The POWERHOUSE is a fantastic product for mainstream cyclists who want to ride for better health and fitness; the +Power is a fantastic product for enthusiast cyclists who want to take full advantage of power measurement/training to get to higher levels of cycling performance.
John Hamann
ellislo

Post by ellislo »

Thanx for the info.

Btw, any plan to make the powerhouse apps compatible with ibike dash+power?

I think it makes sense to allow higher end ibike model to run lower end ibike apps. This will allow other family members, who do not need all those power figures to use the ibike for fitness/leisure.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We're thinking about it...
John Hamann
RGA

Post by RGA »

I agree with ellislo's suggestion. Being able to use Powerhouse applications on the higher-end models allows greater flexibility for the end user. Family members may not be interested in the minute details of power, but want to ride for the exercise or even a social ride from a club. Later, as they develop skills, they can start using the advanced features that the Dash+Power offers. I don't think it will deter sales of the Powerhouse unit as many cyclists either social cyclists, want to get fit to do the longer charity rides events or to just lose the weight. The Powerhouse is great product for that segment of cyclists. Adding backward comparability to the Dash+Power can only strengthen the appeal of the unit with that additional flexibility.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
merneric

Post by merneric »

Hello!

My wife and I are just now getting into cycling. I am a bit more fit than she is, and I also aspire to maybe do some racing in the next year or so, so I ended up getting an iDash + Power for myself, and a Powerhouse for her. We haven't had much time to try them out yet as I just got them yesterday, but I quickly installed them, and we went for a short ride before dark just to try them out. We both have Trek Madones with the duotrap sensors, so I think I had issues getting them paired properly--hers paired great, and mine said it paired ok, but I didn't really get reliable data. It was after the ride that I figured out that I was probably pairing mine to her sensor, since we were both in the same area when I first was setting everything up.

Anyway, back on topic. If the Dash+power had the option of using the Powerhouse software, then I definitely would have just bought two of those, as my wife has already questioned why mine has GPS and HRM and hers does not. As an alternative, since (I believe) the internal electronics/sensors of the Powerhouse casing are essentially the same as the Dash+Power, I would gladly pay an upgrade fee to bring the Powerhouse to the full capabilty of the Dash+Power. It will probably be a while before my wife is ready for the Dash+Power features, but when the time comes, I would much rather upgrade what she has then spend another 550 for a new unit. Likewise, even though I think I will be ready for the Dash+ Power features sooner than she will, I would love to do some of the more basic mode training programs that are offered on the Powerhouse, without having to physically move her unit over to my bike.

Anyway, like I said, we haven't had much time to use them yet, so I am anxious to clock some more miles with them as soon as we can.

Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, you're going to make me let the cat out of the bag.

The POWERHOUSE system (case + app + mount) is now available for sale. $279 MSRP, online with us or Amazon, or at the Apple Store.

Here is the secret: The POWERHOUSE app works both with the POWERHOUSE case, AND with the + Power case!!! So, if you are a + Power owner, you can use either system...

I have been using the PH app with my + Power case (Express Fitness plan) now for about 3 weeks (18 rides so far). It is simply the best thing I have ever done with my bicycling. WHY? There are so many reasons...

1) I am getting completely customized workouts. I can't goof off; the Fitness Test really pegs my ability, and Hunter's plans and workouts are based on the Fitness Test. You work hard, but never too hard!

2) It is brain dead simple. I am not staring at power numbers, trying to compute my % FTP. I simply pedal hard enough to put the needle between the brackets.

3) It is really efficient. My rides are about 1 hour long (about all that I have time for) but I get a fantastic workout in that time

4) It is a ton of fun. EVERY RIDE IS DIFFERENT!!! Today, during a 58 minute ride, I had 11 short (1 minute) intervals at about 150% FTP, and two, 5 minute intervals at 100% FTP. Today's ride was completely different from yesterday's ride, which was much more about longer, lower watts.

5) It is a blast to hear Hunter pop into my bluetooth headphones. It is surprisingly motivational.

6) The PH is keeping a complete history of all my rides. It's amazing to see how they add up over time :-)

7)I feel really energetic after my morning ride. Most amazingly, the PH is pushing me, but never too hard.

8) I am getting better: my FTP (which I measure independently with my iAero) has gone up about 10% already. I have become a much more even-pedaling cyclist. I am much smoother in my pedaling motion.

9) I look forward to riding my bike, for completely new reasons.

Now, clearly I am biased. But others who are using the PH are saying the same kinds of things.

Folks, if you really want to learn about power, if you really want to see what professional coaching can do to help your cycling, and if you really want to enjoy your cycling in a brand new way, check out the PH.

And remember, if you are a + Power owner, you can get the app for free...
John Hamann
ellislo

Post by ellislo »

Ha.... Have been waiting for this for quite some time! Finally I can use powerhouse app with my +power! :D
RGA

Post by RGA »

Most awesome, I tried it out today. Did the set up and the calibration ride. Will do the fit test tomorrow. I find that the calibration ride to be easier that the iBike version.

I take it doesn't read the HR strap.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nope, we don't use HR data with the Powerhouse.
John Hamann