App update is in the works

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

App update is in the works

Post by Velocomp »

We are beta testing now an app update that will add the following:

1) New user interface, even easier to read

2) Background recording, making it possible to exit the app (for example, to receive a phone call or change music) and record ride data even when the app is not running. When the app resumes, all "missing" data is updated seamlessly

3) Calendar screen that tracks key weekly and monthly stats

4) % Max HR gauge

5) Estimated calories when HR is available (useful for iDash CC owners)

6) Assorted bug fixes

We will let you know when we've sent this update to Apple.
John Hamann
Brandy

Re: App update is in the works

Post by Brandy »

last week I took a phone call on my iPhone in the middle of one of my rides. After I placed the iPhone back in the Booth, I noticed that my on-screen normalized power started over at zero. However, when I got home and uploaded my ride data, it seemed to capture all of the data correctly. I guess it was just an issue with on on-screen calculation and display of normalized power for the entire ride after a phone call was received. Will that be fixed?

thanks,
brandy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When you physically remove the iPhone from the Phone Booth, all bets are off; the iDash electronics lose power and that's like like unplugging your computer in the middle of working on an excel spreadsheet. All of the live-update data registers, including NP, are lost.

However, and despite the loss of electronics-stored data, the ride file records aren't lost when the iPhone is removed, so when you resume your ride, after downloading it you'll see all of your data, just as you observed, and all ride stats will be correct.

The background recording feature requires only that you keep your iPhone in the Phone Booth. Use a bluetooth headset to take your call. In this situation, when you resume your ride all ride file records and stats will be updated correctly.
John Hamann
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Thanks for that info. So, if I initiate a text message (or phone call with BlueTooth) in the middle of one of my rides by pushing the home button on my iPhone (but keeping it in the Phone Booth), will the same thing happen with my ride NP numbers starting from zero. Or is loss of the display of NP just an issue when the iPhone is removed from the booth.

Looks like I might need to get a BlueTooth specific for cycling. I know the one I currently have will not stay in my ear with wind speeds in excess of 35 MPH. Any product suggestions that have been tested out by other cyclists? I would be nice to pipe in some audio for those long training rides. Also, does listening to music via bluetooth substantially deplete battery life?
empella

Post by empella »

Please remember the problems with the mectric system!
Celcius degres, total odo in km. etc. Thank You

Michael-Denmark
Empella
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Brandy -

Like car drivers - leave phone calls for some other activity.
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

Just for interest; using a phone while driving or biking became illegal in New Zealand late last year liable for a fine if caught !
I guess it's still ok in the US
;)