Blocked wind port!!! Need advice!

GeorgeHotopan

Blocked wind port!!! Need advice!

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Hi everyone:

I just came back from "Clasica Internacional de Los Lagos de Covandonga", a century race that takes places every year in Asturias, Spain. The weather this year was quite bad, raining thorough the whole race, high humidity and fog. After reaching the summit and returning back, after the descent, on a false flat I have noticed that even if I was pushing an going an average of about 35 km/h, my watts numbers were most of the time near 0.

When downloading the ride file, I saw that in many places the wind readings are 0 km/h (and there was no drafting on those portions). I assume that due to rain the wind sensor got blocked. I can try reparing it but it seems to me that the power readings once I repair, get higher than my usual (160 W). They show 198 W average, after repair.

I have one concern: I am not so worried about this ride file in particular. What I don't know is if the blocked wind sensor will continue to be blocked? Will this effect disappear in time? Or will it still continue to be blocked? Is this a permanent effect? I really hope not!!! Now I looked with a lantern through the wind port and now it is dry. I will go tomorrow on a short ride on a flat portion to see if the watts numbers are consistent with what I am used to.

Please advise!!! John or Fernando I would really appreciate your feedback or anyone else who passed through a similar issue:

Attached is the .ibr ride file where you can see the wind speed readings constantly marking 0 km/h through a good portion of the race (the second half).
Attachments
iBike_06_06_2015_0854_133_km.ibr
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 410 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Blocked wind port!!! Need advice!

Post by Velocomp »

Blow into the wind port to clear it of water, then let it dry out. Things should be OK.

Were you riding in a group on this ride? If so it looks like your wind port became blocked more towards the end of the ride.
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Hi there John!

Yes I was riding in a group through most of the ride, except the final climb and the way back, on the descent and the final flat portion, which was on my own.
I blew into the wind port. Hopefully things should be ok now. Nevertheless I will check it out today, if my body will listen to me :P.

And by the way, compared to last year, when I did not have the Newton, I managed to improve 22 minutes over the whole race, with an 11 minute improvement on the final climb. And I only have the Newton since February of this year.

Thanks iBike!!!

Velocomp wrote:Blow into the wind port to clear it of water, then let it dry out. Things should be OK.

Were you riding in a group on this ride? If so it looks like your wind port became blocked more towards the end of the ride.
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Everything is back to normal !!! I did a 3km out and back ride and everything seems ok now.

Thank you John!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.25.23.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.25.23.png (442.89 KiB) Viewed 9578 times