Getting the most out of an iBike for snapshot/continious cDa

w01fy

Getting the most out of an iBike for snapshot/continious cDa

Post by w01fy »

Hi all,

As a new ibike owner I currently trawling all the posts to understand how to get the most out of the snapshot/continuous cDa measurements.

I originally bought the ibike it was to gain the wind data to use in Golden Cheetah's aero lab, as I do a lot of aero testing but as the continuous cDa functionality gives real time info I'm looking to try this out.

I'm currently putting a list together of step my step items to get the most out of it/repeatability, such as doing the cal ride, doing a tilt and wind calculation etc in between changes in setup (bar angle, height, pad width etc).

Is there a good guide for this already or any good topics I may not have seen that would be useful?

If there isn't I think I will start collating all info in this forum topic.
Cheers

w01fy
Russ

Re: Getting the most out of an iBike for snapshot/continious cDa

Post by Russ »

w01fy,

I have had an Aero iBike for years, the Newton+ now but no DPFM :-(
However, there are lot's of posts buried in this forum about that but my quick search did not pull up a gold mine.
I did continuous cDa and DPFM cDa in the search box upper right, you may want to do that and expand from there.
Also googled continuous cDa and that also got a few hits in this forum as well as an interesting post here:

http://coachrobmuller.blogspot.com/2009 ... nt-to.html

I did not try snapshot cDa (all I can do with just the Newton+) but you may want to do that search too.

Hopefully some with the DPFM will start adding to your thread, it is a great idea!

Regards,
Russ
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

Thanks for the advice and link Russ.

I've emailed the chap in the blog for any best practice tips.

I think I will email velocomp as well, as they must have some pointers from there own testing/development
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

I'm collecting lots of info now, so will post up a thread at some point.

A question for someone though.

I've read that doing a cal wind and tilt call inbtween aero testing is a bad idea, I think the analogy used was, its like changing the tone on your stereo mid concert.

Now being that some of the position changes I will make include changing the handlebar position/stem angle, this may indeed change the tilt.

I presume it is acceptable to do a tilt cal in this situation? or would it be better to simply ensure the angle doesn't change (as best as possible).

I can't obviously do a cal ride in-between as I'm looking to use the continuous cda measurement to show improvements round a set course.