Getting Rid of Spurious DFPM signals

perezjap

Getting Rid of Spurious DFPM signals

Post by perezjap »

Hello. I was riding today and at first I had a good wattage reading, then with the pack I started having problems. I lost the wattage. No change in bike, hr monitor, sensors still on correct etc. I fell back from pack to do a sensor search, it found the wattage. wattage on, back with the pack, it said PIN off then DFPM {may be different wording and order}. Then I lost my wattage and again, fell back, did search, found wattage and back with the group and the same thing happened.

I finally narrowed it down to a guy in the back of the pack who had a garmin set up. We tested it. Everytime I got near him(within about 5 feet) I would loose my wattage and it would find his watt meter.

How can I avoid this?

Thank you.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Getting Rid of Spurious DFPM pairing

Post by Velocomp »

At some point you did a Scan and found his DFPM. There are two things you can do (you'll need FW 413 to do this)

1) To get rid of the problem while on your ride, go into Setup, and then scroll to the User Sequence (Setup/User/No). Select User/Yes, then click the center button to accept, then scroll until you find On/dfP/disP (dfpm display is On). Set it to "off" and accept. Then exit setup.

In this setting (Off/dfp/disp), even if you're paired with a DFPM, your Newton will display your power readings (you'll still record his power readings, however, whenever he is close)

2) To permanently solve the problem, connect your Newton to your computer, and launch Isaac. Then, go to Edit/Edit Profiles, and select the Wireless IDs tab.

3) In the Wireless ID tab, click the button that says "Get from Device". The screen will populate with the wireless IDs in your current profile.

4) You'll see a non-zero number in the Power In ID. To get rid of it, click the button that says "Forget DFPM". The Power In ID will be reset to "0".

5) Click the "Send to Device" button, and your Newton will no longer search for the bogus DFPM.

The lesson here is that doing Scans while surrounded by other bikes is a risky thing. Many bikes have ANT+ sensors, and unless you're 60 feet away from all of them when doing a pairing, you're susceptible to picking up their sensors, too!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 6.28.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 6.28.16 AM.png (66.56 KiB) Viewed 13096 times
John Hamann
perezjap

Re: Getting Rid of Spurious DFPM signals

Post by perezjap »

Thank you John. I will make the changes.
Zoltan

Re: Getting Rid of Spurious DFPM pairing

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote:.

In this setting (Off/dfp/disp), even if you're paired with a DFPM, your Newton will display your power readings (you'll still record his power readings, however, whenever he is close)
John, I opted for OFF for a different reason, namely I wished to compare realtime the power readings of my Powertap displayed on my Joule GPS and those of my Newton+ displayed by itself.
And I realized that even if this setting is OFF, the numbers are the very same. Just to be sure what the situation is I fully obscured the wind port with my palm but the numbers displayed on the two gadgets were the same.

Just to inform you the filtering had been set to 3. Can it be that any filtering being different than 0 overrides the state of "dfp disp"?

Thanks
Zoltan

Displaying DFPM watts vs Newton watts

Post by Zoltan »

I made another ride, this time I set the filtering to zero. When I set dFP diSP to OFF and covered the wind port with my palm, the power readings were totally different as one expects them.
Afterwards I applied a filtering of 3 and there was no effect of wind port obscurement as regards power readings on Newton.

So my conclusion is that there is a small glitch in the OS of Newton which enforces the display of DFPM power numbers even if dFP diSP is set to OFF, if a filtering is applied, too.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Any confirmation or any denial from Velocomp or from another user with Newton & DFPM combo? Please!

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We have been unable to reproduce this situation.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

If I remember well I met this phenomenon using OS 4.13.

In the meantime I made the fw update. There is nothing more left for me than repeating the test with 4.14.

Thanks for your time spent with the attempts to reproduce it.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote:We have been unable to reproduce this situation.
Sorry for the late reply, but I had no time for riding until recently.

I insist on that there is a bug in 4.14, too.

a) if one sets the filter to 0, Newton+ shows the power readings measured by itself, if Dfp Disp is set to OFF.
b) if one sets the filter to 2, 3, 5, 10 or 30, Newton+ shows the power readings measured by DFPM (Powertap in my case), even if Dfp Disp is set to OFF.

I tested all the filtering options, and I am more than sure.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Zoltan wrote:
Velocomp wrote:We have been unable to reproduce this situation.
Sorry for the late reply, but I had no time for riding until recently.

I insist on that there is a bug in 4.14, too.

a) if one sets the filter to 0, Newton+ shows the power readings measured by itself, if Dfp Disp is set to OFF.
b) if one sets the filter to 2, 3, 5, 10 or 30, Newton+ shows the power readings measured by DFPM (Powertap in my case), even if Dfp Disp is set to OFF.

I tested all the filtering options, and I am more than sure.
Is there anybody around with a DFPM who could test it for my sake? Either with firmware 4.14 or 5.0?