Multi-sport use

Brodirt

Multi-sport use

Post by Brodirt »

Perhaps its possible now or perhaps a wish for the future, but multi-sport use of my Ibike would be very nice. Currently I will have to wear my Polar HRM and strap for the run portions of my duathlon events and forego HR on the bike. Are there either future plans to integrate other wrist HRM straps into ibike/iaero, or are there current wrist HRMs that can be used with the ibike or Garmin straps? This is what ant technology if for! :twisted:
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multi-sport use

Post by Site_Admin »

Garmin has their own setup with Ant plus, and our straps are compatible with 305/705 and some of their wrist straps.

We won't be polar compatible unless they change their signals to ant plus sport.
Brodirt

Post by Brodirt »

Would the forerunner 50 work? All I would need would be a wrist top way to chart HR during run legs of multi-sport races and at its very reasonable choice if it works with ibike it would seem to be the way to go.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The Forerunner 50 uses the same HR strap as the Edge 305. Looks like you're good to go.
Fernando
kervelo

Post by kervelo »

It would also be nice if the iBike PC software offered the possibility to upload the heart rate data collected using for instance Polar or Suunto monitor. The two devices could then be used independently during the excercise, but the data could be analyzed in one place afterwards.

I guess the new PC software for iAero has something similar related to uploading power data from 'incompatible' power meters.
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

kervelo wrote:It would also be nice if the iBike PC software offered the possibility to upload the heart rate data collected using for instance Polar or Suunto monitor. The two devices could then be used independently during the excercise, but the data could be analyzed in one place afterwards.
As long as you have a speed sensor for your Polar, this functionality is coming in a future release of iBike2. (The speed signal is used for synchronizing the ride files.)

I don't have any experience with the Suunto monitors. Do they use a speed sensor? If so, and if I can get information on their ride file format, I can look into adding it to the mix. No promises. If you have a ride where you collected both iBike data and Suunto data, you can send me both files and I'll start looking into it: travispape at yahoo.
kervelo

Post by kervelo »

Suunto wristtop computers have several types of speed sensors. One is the traditional bike sensor, another is a gps based sensor. I am using the traditional bike pod in my bike, but do not (yet) have an iBike. My idea is to continue using the Suunto for collecting heart rate, training intensity, etc. data and perhaps get an iBike for collecting just the power data.

I will mail you two versions of the same log file: so called Suunto formatted file and the same file as an XML file.
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Suunto's owned by the parent company of Adidas and Mavic, I'm almost certain. The QR speed sensor is probably some form of ANT technology for both the Suunto and the Mavic.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Suunto uses a proprietary version of ANT (so does PowerTap) so their stuff isn't ANT+Sport compatible.
John Hamann
kervelo

Post by kervelo »

You are right: Suunto, among other brands, is owned by a finnish company Amer Sports.
http://www.amer.fi/brands/