Another Garmin Question

bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Another Garmin Question

Post by bex »

We have an Iaero and an Ipro.
My wife is the Iaero user and she is a triathlete.
We do not need the ability to see power data on a Garmin, according to her :(
She does want to use one HRM strap for each of the three disciplines, swim, run and bike.
What is the least we would need to buy from Garmin to get HR monitoring from one strap on both units? Any? Or is there a series that they start being compatible?
Now, given that I might want power or other data displayed, where does this start?
Will a 305 read the Ibike sensors, I believe the reverse is not the case without Garmin Firmware. Again, what series do I need to look at to start the process?

Cheers for any input

Bex
arkiejon

Re: Another Garmin Question

Post by arkiejon »

I have an IPro G and an ISport GT. Both are wireless and I have a Garmin 705. I have an IBike HR strap and a Garmin HR strap. All three of the units will find both straps but the problem comes when switching Hr straps. The Garmin 705 has 1 user profile and three bike profiles, but if I change the HR strap I have to stop and rescan for the new HR strap and then do it again when I switch back to the other HR strap. When you set what data is shown on the screen, It is the same data shown for all profiles.

Unless someone else has found a way around these problems that don't make you have to stop, set down, re-program each unit, the IBike and Garmin. You should get one HR Strap per person and each person should have their own IBike and their own Garmin programmed to their personal needs on their own equipment.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Unless there is a need for you to use two different straps, you can use the same HR strap with both computers! If you want to use your Garmin strap with your iBike, simply do a wireless "Scan" and the iBike will remember the code of the Garmin strap.
John Hamann
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

I would lean towards the new Garmin Edge 500 [1]. The Foreunner 305 will not display ant+ enabled power meter data. The Edge 500 is similar in many respects to the 705 (which is compatible with ant+ power meters), except that it does not store maps and provide turn by turn navigation. I have the Edge 705, and find the maps etc very useful.

Nik

[1] https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... cale=en_EN
bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Post by bex »

Thanks folks
I neglected to mention anything we get needs to be wrist mounted for running and swimming so I think options would be limited (now I have dome limited research) to the 405/405CX perhaps?
I ended up buying a Timex target trainer and a 305 at Costco. The 305 has to go back for reasons already mentioned plus as my wife is only 110lbs the unit looks like a brick on her wrist. Additionally, there is a do not use to swim warning in the manual, should be more obvious on the website.
The Timex has a setting to switch on speed and distance, something the Timex customer service neglected to tell me when I asked them for advice, they just said I would need to get into a complete new system and suggested something that would have been inappropriate for our use.
So now my wife can at least use the new strap with the old Timex watch (she can read it) and I can continue with the Bodylink system and a larger watch face. She does not really need the HR on the bike, she uses power, of course. Not perfect but we do save a bunch of cash.

Side note.
I have got so used to the phenomenal customer service and product knowledge from Velocomp that I just assumed Timex would be up there with both, they were not even close.