Weirdo wireless

talaskgg

Weirdo wireless

Post by talaskgg »

Has anyone had and resolved this problem: I installed my wireless and it "sees" the speed and cadence and HR fine. Speed sensor in onthe front wheel, cadence near the rear wheel, HR on chest and recording. But I get extremely bizzare data when i go out onthe road. I'll try to attach the data file below, but what happens is speed registers to over 100 mph (down my 0.5% driveway or on my flat street) and power is proportional. (the following is meant only to preempt of SA remarks.... Yes, I'm strong, yes, I'm fast, but not that strong or fast and you'd think I would remember a 100mph episode.) I checked the battery onthe speed sensor (using the iBike) and it was fine. Strangest of all, the iBike works fine in the non-wireless mode on my other bike, i.e., I return to my merely mortal status. Any help would be appreciated,

Glenn
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weirdo wireless

Post by Site_Admin »

talaskgg wrote:Has anyone had and resolved this problem: I installed my wireless and it "sees" the speed and cadence and HR fine. Speed sensor in onthe front wheel, cadence near the rear wheel, HR on chest and recording. But I get extremely bizzare data when i go out onthe road. I'll try to attach the data file below, but what happens is speed registers to over 100 mph (down my 0.5% driveway or on my flat street) and power is proportional. (the following is meant only to preempt of SA remarks.... Yes, I'm strong, yes, I'm fast, but not that strong or fast and you'd think I would remember a 100mph episode.) I checked the battery onthe speed sensor (using the iBike) and it was fine. Strangest of all, the iBike works fine in the non-wireless mode on my other bike, i.e., I return to my merely mortal status. Any help would be appreciated,

Glenn
It could be that the sensors are too close to the axle, and the magnets are 'double reading'. I had a 6000 rpm day once, myself. Move the sensors up a bit, move the sensors away from the magnet by about 1mm or 2, and then try again. If the problem persists, let me talk with you off-list.
talaskgg

Post by talaskgg »

Will do...I'll do it tonight and let you know monday
marshr

Post by marshr »

I had a similar problem and i am not that strong of a cyclist but i did move the sensor further up on the fork ie away from hub and everything was back to my mortal self so as coach suggest it did work for me. ;)
Rick
talaskgg

Post by talaskgg »

Moving the speed sensor away from the maganet is all that was needed, who would have thought? Got some very good results this past weekend, although I find I am neither as strong or as fast as was once led to believe. Oh Well, it looks like I may have to train this year, dambit.

GT
talaskgg

Post by talaskgg »

Thanks everyone for the help...Glenn
bkr

Post by bkr »

Recently upgraded to the wireless mount. First two rides were fine with all the readings where expected. After zeroing wind setting and doing the tilt calibration, went out again this morning with strange speed readings. About .2 miles from my house is a 5% 1/2 mile hill which I usually take at about 7 to 8 mph. Today my iBike registered around 15 mph with jumps to 25 mph and watt readings of 400 (don't I wish) with my usual easy warm up effort. I went back home to check the profile and re-loaded it with the same result. BTW all the batteries are new, voltage reading was 2.96. Firmware is 1.16. Since I have never had a problem with wired mount and my first to wireless rides were right on, I am somewhat at a loss.
Any suggestions?
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Hmmm. Send me that file, and we'll have a look. You might also try measuring the voltage on each battery by pulling the stem mount battery out, and then installing it in the ibike for a few seconds to get that voltage number. Both batteries should be above 2.75 or so.

One other question - was it cold outside today? that might have something to do with it...
Isaias

Post by Isaias »

bkr wrote:Recently upgraded to the wireless mount. First two rides were fine with all the readings where expected. After zeroing wind setting and doing the tilt calibration, went out again this morning with strange speed readings. About .2 miles from my house is a 5% 1/2 mile hill which I usually take at about 7 to 8 mph. Today my iBike registered around 15 mph with jumps to 25 mph and watt readings of 400 (don't I wish) with my usual easy warm up effort. I went back home to check the profile and re-loaded it with the same result. BTW all the batteries are new, voltage reading was 2.96. Firmware is 1.16. Since I have never had a problem with wired mount and my first to wireless rides were right on, I am somewhat at a loss.
Any suggestions?

I'd check your magnet placing and how firmly it's mounted. It may be flopping a little causing the sensor to pass through two magnetic fields per rotation.
bkr

Post by bkr »

Thanks guys.
Tightened the mount, it was a little loose, and after checking the batteries, they were all OK, I paired everything again, took my 1/2 mile "test ride" just before dark and readings were back to normal.