What parameters signal the end of a ride for PP

tbrucebowers

What parameters signal the end of a ride for PP

Post by tbrucebowers »

Since I'm doing a lot of little rides in a row, I'm wondering how the PP decides the ride has ended and creates a ride file. I've posted a similar question on the PP forum, but maybe I didn't state it well, because it has been viewed a bit and not answered.

Scenarios:

1) I go for a 1 hour social ride with a 15 minute coffee break in the middle, then continue on for another hour. My Garmin 520 stays in pause mode while I'm enjoying my java. Is PP going to decide that is two rides, or one?

2) I go for a training ride, get 1 mile into it, and flat. I repair it in about 10 minutes, and decide to go back to the start point to document the training effort without the flat pause in the middle. I stop my Garmin, and then start it again when I get back to the beginning. Will PP decide that is all one ride, or somehow figure out I've started over? If it doesn't figure it out on it's own, how do I insure that I get a separate ride file for the retry?

I hope that peaks someone's interest who has much more experience than I do.

Thanks, for checking it out, T Bruce
T Bruce Bowers
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: What parameters signal the end of a ride for PP

Post by Velocomp »

1) PP goes to sleep after about 20 minutes. If it goes to sleep it assumes it is because you have finished the day's ride. So, when you reawaken it PP starts a new ride file.

You can merge together ride files in Isaac with the command File/Combine-Split file

2) If you get a flat tire, please note that PP MIGHT start recalibrating itself, to compensate for the flat. So, the first few minutes of riding, after the flat has been repaired, may be off.

PP will not "know" you've restarted your training ride, though it will be pretty obvious in the ride file. You can use the Isaac command File/Combine-Split File to lop off the part you don't want.
John Hamann
tbrucebowers

Re: What parameters signal the end of a ride for PP

Post by tbrucebowers »

Thanks John. I get it now.
T Bruce Bowers