Repair Blocked Wind Port Feature

barry6054

Repair Blocked Wind Port Feature

Post by barry6054 »

Today was my first ride using my Newton in the rain and my pwr numbers were way low. I noticed it as soon as I left my apartment while climbing out of the parking lot. It was not raining then but humidity was 88%. After about 30min I did a 20min FTP interval and pwr was ~50W low. I then performed a cal ride just to be sure there was no issue there and afterwards did another 20min FTP interval, again very low pwr. From what I've just read it has to do with the wind port being blocked with water. I tried using the repair blocked wind port feature. When doing that Isaac will ask you to enter either a positive or negative value depending if you had a headwind or tailwind. I left it at zero as I had no idea if I was riding in a head or tailwind, however, after the repair the pwr was too high. I wish I made this kind of pwr:) Any ideas on how to best determine the correct pwr? Also, for those that are using a RWS have you found that the problems are corrected? I have attached both ride files, before and after cal ride, for anyone to review.

I appreciate anyone's help!

Barry
Attachments
iBike_02_22_2015_1525_23_Miles.ibr
(304.74 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
iBike_02_22_2015_1423_11_Miles.ibr
(148.68 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Repair Blocked Wind Port Feature

Post by Velocomp »

barry6054 wrote:Today was my first ride using my Newton in the rain and my pwr numbers were way low. I noticed it as soon as I left my apartment while climbing out of the parking lot. It was not raining then but humidity was 88%. After about 30min I did a 20min FTP interval and pwr was ~50W low. I then performed a cal ride just to be sure there was no issue there and afterwards did another 20min FTP interval, again very low pwr. From what I've just read it has to do with the wind port being blocked with water. I tried using the repair blocked wind port feature. When doing that Isaac will ask you to enter either a positive or negative value depending if you had a headwind or tailwind. I left it at zero as I had no idea if I was riding in a head or tailwind, however, after the repair the pwr was too high. I wish I made this kind of pwr:) Any ideas on how to best determine the correct pwr? Also, for those that are using a RWS have you found that the problems are corrected? I have attached both ride files, before and after cal ride, for anyone to review.

I appreciate anyone's help!

Barry
Your wind sensor was not blocked; if it were you'd see extremely lower wind readings, near zero in most places. In fact, your wind data looks great in both rides.

What kind of bike are you using?

In your 20 minute test you averaged 15 mph, but you rode a course with lots of rollers, and there are a few places where your cadence was zero. Both of these factors will knock down your average watts.

In your second ride, about an hour out, you have a long but shallow incline. It would be good to do your testing there.

I don't see anything wrong with your data.
John Hamann
barry6054

Post by barry6054 »

John,

I appreciate you looking at my files. I ride a Specialized Roubaix. I've tested on these roads before and can usually avg 165-168W for 20 minutes. You are correct in that my routes are filled with rollers and hard to avoid. The zero pedal cadence will occur when I'm going down the rollers even though I don't stop pedaling and still have force on the pedals. It doesn't happen the entire time when going downhill but will flash between zero and a low number. As long as everything looks ok to you I'll just chalk this up to an abnormality and not panic that I've lost 40W or so.

Thanks-you!!

Barry
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Try doing your test on the uphill portion of your ride, about 1 hour in...
John Hamann
barry6054

Post by barry6054 »

I know the section you're talking about John and will test there. After thinking about it for a few days I guess it does take huge pwr to overcome any zero or low pwr "time" during a 20min interval. It doesn't matter as much during a longer 3-4 hour ride. It reminds me of middle school, it takes a lot of 100s on quizzes to overcome a zero:)

Barry