out of saddle algorithm?

ronpei

out of saddle algorithm?

Post by ronpei »

it would seem that the out of saddle algorithm does not work well for me? I climbed a full hill out of the saddle and it actually only shows a small section near top of hill??? not certain how to insert the screen capture though to show it.
racerfern

Re: out of saddle algorithm?

Post by racerfern »

Actually, that's a good thing. By coincidence the same happens with me.

Newton reads the amount of side to side motion and that determines where something is declared out of saddle. If you hold your bike nice and steady, you will tend to see less out of saddle as analyzed by Newton. That's good because it means you're not wasting a ton of energy flailing around on your bike.

OTOH, I would love to see some settable parameter that could be individualized to a rider, similar to a profile that could be tweaked by the end user as to what's out of saddle and what's not. Hopefully this request will bubble to the surface in a future update.
Fernando
Pete

Post by Pete »

Does the drops v hoods thing work by change in air flow from being closer/further to/from the unit?
Could out-of-saddle makw use of that too?
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

I am not certain I understand the drops vs hoods thing you speak of. This is only in the quick set up I think? and is as I see it just a stop gap until you do a real calibration. It just uses generally accepted data for the average riders CdA either drops or hoods, as far as I am aware the iBike does not do this sort of thing in real time unless you have a DFPM in addition to the iBike then it can do real time CdA.

What I was talking about is on the elevation graph there is a purple option called out of saddle. This I assumed used the accelerometer to infer side to side rocking and maybe some other things to say you are pedalling out of the saddle. It does not seem to be sensitive enough to capture my out of the saddle vs my normal pedalling meaning both are terrible or both are fantastic :)!

Any how it appears that it is not a good metric/ visual algorithm for me. I was wondering if others had a similar experience.