Anybody successfully run Garmin ANT agent and Isaac on a Mac

Clydeone

Anybody successfully run Garmin ANT agent and Isaac on a Mac

Post by Clydeone »

So my wife gets both her forerunners back from garmin and I install Garmin ANT agent on our new Mac

Everything works fine until I go and install Isaac (Newton connects no problem)

then Garmin ANT agent will not recognize the ANT stick is installed

So I email Garmin Support and they tell me to do the following:

Go to Macintosh HD/Applications
Delete Garmin ANT Agent.app
Go to Macintosh HD/Users/(User Name)/Library/preferences
Delete the com.garmin.AntAgent.plist file
Go to Macintosh HD/Library/receipts
Delete the garmin.AntAgent.pkg file
Go to Macintosh HD/Users/(User Name)/Library/Application Support/Garmin
Delete the Garmin ANT Agent folder
Backup and then delete the (Unit ID Number) folder at Macintosh HD/User/(User Name)/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/(Unit ID Number)
Go to Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions
Delete SiLabsUSBDriver.kext and ANTSiLabsUSBDriver.kext
Unplug ANT Stick
Empty Trash
Reboot the computer
Once the computer has rebooted then download and install the latest ANT Agent using the link below.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4417

So I do all this and sure enough Garmin ANT works and Isaac can no longer talk to Newton

As you can see both Garmin ANT and Newton both use the same USB driver so I assume this is causing the problem. I don't know where to go from here. Anybody know how to make both work?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Anybody successfully run Garmin ANT agent and Isaac on a Mac

Post by Velocomp »

We haven't seen this problem in 3 years.

The Forerunner ANT stick and the Newton use the same USB computer chip and drivers. So, the Mac gets confused when both products happen to be used on the same computer.

You can return your Newton to us, and we can attempt to reprogram it so that the drivers won't conflict (but no guarantees that this will work).

Please note that this is not a defect of the Newton or the Garmin; it is simply an unfortunate coincidence. You could also ask Garmin to reprogram its ANT stick, but I doubt they would be willing to do so. :D
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

I do not work with Mac's but I am a Unix admin type.

So an idea, if you have the patience and some Unix (Osx) knowledge may be a kludgy workaround.

The idea is to start back from scratch as you did when you received the Garmin units, install them and get the Ant stick to work.

Next backup all of the files and folders listed in the Garmin cleanup.

Next install Isaac and get it working, then backup the files and folders again to another place.

Finally set up a script to copy some or all in place prior to use. If Osx has the "slibclean" command then you can run that to clear any loaded library's out of memory transparently (things will keep running and load any libs into memory again as needed) else if no slibclean or equivalent command then a reboot is needed.

- two options to work through for the script:

A. Brute force, copy all of the appropriate backed up file sets into place and run slibclean as mentioned or reboot as necessary.

B. Compare/identify file and reduce the number needed to copy over either with diff or cksum or iteratively with testing (takes a lot longer).

Oh third option, give John a shot at reprogramming your Newton, which I think is great of him to offer. Oh, he may prefer to have a shot at this in case others have the problem, don't know.

No idea if this is any help, this may be the first time I am relieved to be running windoz :P

Regards,
Russ

Edit: I did a bit more searching, probably no slibclean on Osx but this link may also be of help:
"Load and unload kernel extensions without restarting System":
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 5065101763
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote:We haven't seen this problem in 3 years.

The Forerunner ANT stick and the Newton use the same USB computer chip and drivers. So, the Mac gets confused when both products happen to be used on the same computer.

You can return your Newton to us, and we can attempt to reprogram it so that the drivers won't conflict (but no guarantees that this will work).

Please note that this is not a defect of the Newton or the Garmin; it is simply an unfortunate coincidence. You could also ask Garmin to reprogram its ANT stick, but I doubt they would be willing to do so. :D
We have verified that we can reprogram your Newton so it won't conflict with your ANT stick. However, you'll need to send it to us for updating.
John Hamann
Clydeone

Post by Clydeone »

I got the newton back -- Is there something different I need to do with installation of software now?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Clydeone wrote:I got the newton back -- Is there something different I need to do with installation of software now?

Just connect it with Device/Connect... Hopefully everything will work.
John Hamann
Clydeone

Post by Clydeone »

in order to make the ANT stick work I have to delete the Silabs driver and reinstall it via the ANT agent -- This action makes it so the ibike will not communicate with Isaac If i then reinstall the driver via Isaac it works fine with the newton and disables the ANT stick

So...... both ways I have to restart the computer it is a little infuriating

I wish I could setup hardware profiles

When I run connect with the newton installed and on I get "Ibike needs to use a com port in the range 1-64" and then the "Ibike is not responding common tips message"

If i push the download Sillicon Labs driver then the newton will work will work

The only option for a port is a Bluetooth PDA sync
jayt

Post by jayt »

I fought this for a long time (I would even use Parallels to run the Newton in a PC environment), and then they co-existed for some time, but again they do not work together (for at least the last month or two). However, there is another solution, the Suunto Movestick mini ($39 from Amazon) - this is a small USB ANT+ stick and it works quite well. It even works with the Garmin ANT+ downloader (I have FR60 watch that I download my Spin Class on). I just did this, but it all seems to work (I also have a FitBit - the original one that used a variant on ANT+ and it too would get all mixed up, but all seems fine with this setup). So, I think it is all working now, we'll see....
jayt

Post by jayt »

I just confirmed that with the Suunto ANT+ min USB stick everything works fine on a Mac.