Trouble getting Isaac > Newton connected

whftherb

Trouble getting Isaac > Newton connected

Post by whftherb »

I've succesfully used the Isaac/Newton package for about a year now on Win XP Pro SP3. I've now gotten a brand new Win7 Pro 64bit box. I've installed the Isaac software latest version this afternoon and the SIL USB driver. Plug the Newton in, ensure it's awake, launch Isaac.

First thing I encounter is two "script errors".
Capture_IBike_Script_Error_#1.JPG
Capture_IBike_Script_Error_#1.JPG (71.61 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
and
Capture_IBike_Script_Error_#2.JPG
Capture_IBike_Script_Error_#2.JPG (60.21 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
I bypass both of these with a "Yes". Go to Device > Setup device. And another script error appears:
Capture_IBike_Script_Error_#3.JPG
Capture_IBike_Script_Error_#3.JPG (32.4 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
Again, bypass it with a "Yes". Next panel, "Device is attached..." And I'm presented with a box that has <-1> in the selection field. I hit all 3 COM ports and test. Nada. Note: I'm only permitted three attachments on this forum so my fourth screenshot can't be posted.

So, I'm wondering if this script error business is interfering. And, yes I've already uninstalled Isaac, SIL and the NI plug-in and resinstalled everything with all brand new downloads.

Anybody else seen this behavior? I wonder if I need to call iBike tomorrow....

Another related question is: What exact sequence should be used to initialize and use Isaac with the meter? I have it that you should:

Plug in the USB cable to the computer, then to iBike. The order here doesn't really matter with the Newton; the cable contains no electronics that have to be contended with. Windows will issue a short "burp" denoting the fact that something's been plugged in.
Ensure iBike is awakened, on and at the ready screen.
Launch Isaac.
Hit Device > Setup Device.

I have tried different sequences all with the same result except that if I launch Isaac -without- the iBike plugged in, I do not get the first two script errors.

Really strange...

H
racerfern

Re: Trouble getting Isaac > Newton connected

Post by racerfern »

Under Control Panel > Devices and Printers the bottom section should have an unspecified device:

Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3) Com 3 for me, for you?? Is it there and do the properties say it is working properly?

Also try a different USB port.
Fernando
whftherb

Post by whftherb »

HI Fern.

Good suggestion. I have this which is different than yours because perhaps I'm on Win 7???
Capture_IBike_Unspec_Dev_No_Driver.JPG
Capture_IBike_Unspec_Dev_No_Driver.JPG (48.49 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
Note that the device name/label is not CP210x! I assume a CP2102 is compatible and probably chosen because I'm on a 64-bit system- hence the "x" on the back of the designation. But, Windows is reporting no driver installed. I absolutely did install it! I swear I did, both outside the Isaac program and from within when told to do so by the UI when it fails!

So, let me look into that further.

And, it doesn't matter which COM port I select - 1 - 2 or 3.

H
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I am also using Win 7 64bit just the home edition.

Did you download the two files from the ibikesports website or did you copy them from another PC?

Maybe try the attached install file but be sure to completely uninstall whatever you have right now.
Attachments
iBike_Windows_7_ONLY_USB_Adapter.zip
(4.05 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
Fernando
whftherb

Post by whftherb »

OK, we have lift off!!!

I uninstalled the "failed" driver. Reinstalled -BUT- this time I right-clicked on the executable and "Ran as Administrator". This made the difference. The first half of the install went like before however near the end a few slightly different prompts showed up and I complied. (Note: Even though you may be on an account with Admin privs, you still need to override Win 7's UAC which is one level above you - something I'd forgotten)

iBike and Isaac are now one. I'm on COM4 FWIW.

Still getting that idiotic blasted "script error" though every time I leap through Device > Setup Device. Fortunately, you don't visit there too often. I don't think it's important enough to worry about.

I hope now that I've gotten this thing to work, I'll re-gain some interest in getting back on the bike. It's been my "struggle" over the last several months.

Thanks Fern and I hope you "see" you around here more often.

H