Defining Out and Back for Isaac Cal Check

texmurphy

Defining Out and Back for Isaac Cal Check

Post by texmurphy »

Currently Isaac uses Elevation to determine Out & Back sections for Calibration Check.
For a pure Out & Back activity this works well. I.e. Midpoint exactly 1/2 way.

Often I find that a mid-point is not the "pure" turn-around. There may be a many mile (e.g. >10 miles) Out and then a many mile loop followed by rejoining the many mile Back. Due to elevation variances (similar terrain profile or barometric pressure change or just error in recording), the un-pure Out&Back will often grab more miles then it should. There seems no way to edit the un-pure Out&Back to correct the selection.

We can merge gps data with the iBike using sources such as the Edge 500.

Enhancement request: add option to use gps data instead of elevation data for Out&Back selection.
This would certainly improve the Calibration Check.
lorduintah

Re: Defining Out and Back for Isaac Cal Check

Post by lorduintah »

Realistically, if you are going to the trouble to do a calibration check (or are planning on one), do just that; don't intermix something else and make it all complicated. It is not something that is a must for every ride. Keep it straightforward and you are far less likely to find an issue with the results.

Tom
Russ

Post by Russ »

Texmurphy,

As far as editing the O&B annotations, you can go into edit annotations and delete all annotations. Then you can manually add whatever you like.

As to the gps data being used to determine out and back, I think that would be a major programing task as you are probably thinking about how easy it is to do that by eye on a map, but analyzing the lat and long data stream for that would be major, I think. It might be a nice feature to have but as long as Velocomp has more useful improvements in the works, I would vote a very low priority on this one.

Izaac, I think, looks for reasonably close matches in elevation profile sections which certainly is not all that simple but also is probably not an extendable bases for the gps idea.

Edit to add: Velocomp, I would like to patch Izaac so that if O&B is unchecked in the analyze ride panel, then remove the annotations that seem to persist.

Thanks,
Russ
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Russ wrote:...Edit to add: Velocomp, I would like to patch Izaac so that if O&B is unchecked in the analyze ride panel, then remove the annotations that seem to persist.
Yes, the Out&Back annotations are far too persistant.
lorduintah wrote:Realistically, if you are going to the trouble to do a calibration check (or are planning on one), do just that; don't intermix something else and make it all complicated. It is not something that is a must for every ride. Keep it straightforward and you are far less likely to find an issue with the results.
So I do a nice "pure" Out&Back, and Isaac badly truncates the O&B match up.

Question 1 - Is the Isaac O&B selection optimized for the CalCheck analysis?

Question 2 - If I have a "pure" O&B, is there a way to correctly define it?

Question 3 - Should an O&B route be chosen to avoid cross winds (i.e. only have headwind or tailwind)? What about avoiding hills (difficult in my terrain), given that O&B uses elevation to determine the O&B sections?
"Pure" O&B where the entire O&B is not selected.
"Pure" O&B where the entire O&B is not selected.
O&B.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

In Edit > Preferences > Analysis tab, I have all boxes unchecked. It's not often I add annotations so I choose to do them manually. Additionally, with a good profile in Newton the Analyze Route procedure only changes things by a couple of watts using starting and finishing elevation with nothing else checked.

Agreed as stated above by Lorduintah that if you are looking for out/back cal check sections then go and do an out/back where you do your cal rides. If you are still trying to confirm the quality of the profile then do what it takes to get a good profile, don't look for sections in a regular ride.
Fernando