4.0.4 and TrainingPeaks--incompatibility?

dtrousdale

4.0.4 and TrainingPeaks--incompatibility?

Post by dtrousdale »

I really have not been paying close attention since the new version of TP came out, but I was doing some sprint intervals for the first time in a long time and just thought I'd check to see how my 5s peak, 10s peak, etc. were looking. What I found was a considerable difference between what the iBike SW 4.0.4 saw and how TrainingPeaks interpreted the data. I've attached screen shots that highlight some of the differences. For example, notice that with iBike 4.0.4, I found a 5s peak of 1066.3W at just before the 5 mile mark. That peak does not even show up in TP, but instead it shows a 5s peak of 814s at just after the 3.25 mile mark. Note also that the "watts" line in the TP graph goes flat after the 2nd of 9 intervals, although the "mph"and "rpm" lines clearly show each of the 9 intervals. Same file, disturbingly different results.
Has anyone else noticed a problem like this? If so, has anyone reported this to TP?
ibike-peak5s-1066W.jpg
ibike-peak5s-1066W.jpg (157.07 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
trainingpeaks-peak5s-814W.jpg
trainingpeaks-peak5s-814W.jpg (118.95 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
racerfern

Re: 4.0.4 and TrainingPeaks--incompatibility?

Post by racerfern »

I have no issues with the latest TP. Check you have the latest build (45). Can you upload your iBike csv file?
Fernando
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

racerfern wrote:I have no issues with the latest TP. Check you have the latest build (45). Can you upload your iBike csv file?
Yes, I have the latest build of WKO+. Please see the iBike file attached.
BTW I just manually uploaded the ride file to my online TP account at trainingpeaks.com, and everything looked normal, just like it did in the iBike SW. Then I downloaded the file from trainingpeaks.com, loaded it into WKO+, and it was still wrong.
Attachments
ritchey_05_13_2010_0003_8_Miles_sportvelo_sprint-clinic.csv
(552.94 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Whew! Here's the problem, you have non zero numbers in the DFPM Power column. Once WKO sees the first non zero number (at 3.22 miles) in this column it ignores everything in the watts column.

So, I opened the file in excel and filled the DFPM column with all zeros. Then saved the file, opened it in iB4 and saved it again so that all the formatting would be correct. It now imports properly into WKO. See attached.

You could possibly have an issue because of your low cadence on some of the intervals. None of the current slew of power meters or software like cadence below +/- 33. Most PMs, iBike included assume you are not pedaling if you're pedaling that slowly. WKO software may behave the same way.

Now the big question, How did you end up with non-zeros in the DFPM column? Were you riding with someone else and did your iBike scan and pick it up? Your profile shows you are paired to a DFPM so make sure you re-scan without anything else in range and save the profile.

Unless of course you do have a DFPM, then the problem is you're NOT picking up the signal... You tell me.
Attachments
ritchey_05_130_2010_0003_8_Miles_sportvelo_sprint-clinic_resaved.csv
(552.81 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Fernando
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

racerfern wrote:Now the big question, How did you end up with non-zeros in the DFPM column? Were you riding with someone else and did your iBike scan and pick it up? Your profile shows you are paired to a DFPM so make sure you re-scan without anything else in range and save the profile.

Unless of course you do have a DFPM, then the problem is you're NOT picking up the signal... You tell me.
Excellent sleuthing, Fernando! Thank you very much. Your guess is correct: this was a group training situation with several bikes equipped with wireless DFPMs. I was not on my DFPM-equipped bike.
This reminds me that I had a similar experience during an indoor winter spin class where there were also other wireless DFPMs. I could almost never get my iAero to stay paired with my wireless DFPM, and I tried every tip offered by iBike Tech Support. I even went out of the building several times to re-pair, but it seem like whenever there was a lull, my iAero would find another DFPM. One guy with a wireless SRM told me he never had this problem. Another who used an Edge 500 with a PT told me he could program his PT ID into his Edge 500 so only his DFPM would be acknowledged.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

So, away from everyone else go to setup then scan. You should find HR, CAD, SPD. Then it should scan a bit more and say PIn Off and finally POut On.

At this point, connect the iBike to the computer and go to your profile under Edit Profiles. Switch to the Wireless IDs tab and click on Get from iBike. Then click Accept so you're back to the main screen. Note that the green radio button next to Power In should NOT be illuminated. Go back into Edit Profiles and send this same profile back to your iBike. Now the correct set of wireless IDs should become a permanent part of your profile and setup.

You'll need to do this procedure for your other bike with the DFPM and remember to either switch profiles between 1 and 2 or upload the necessary profile prior to starting your ride.
Fernando