iBike 4.0.3 is released

travispape
Site Admin

iBike 4.0.3 is released

Post by travispape »

I posted iBike 4.0.3 earlier today for Windows and Mac/Intel. You can get the update by launching iBike4 and select "Help -> Check Online for Software Update..."

The biggest new thing is that the old "Analyze Power" function has been expanded into the "Analyze Route" function, which retains all the functionality of the former but adds a lot of new stuff. iBike4 will investigate the altimeter data looking for either Out & Back rides or laps ridden on a route. If it finds such a feature, it will automatically use that information to analyze the ride for possible improvements. For example, one of the basic limitations of altimeters is as atmospheric pressure changes they will start under-reporting or over-reporting elevation; however, if the new analysis can determine from the elevation data that the ride was an O&B or laps, the altimeter data can be corrected. Note that the power data is also analyzed to benefit from the improvement to the elevation data.

Further, if the whole ride or part of the ride is a closed loop, the new analysis might use that information to adjust the wind data if needed. Note that the wind data will only analyzed if the software does not detect that the rider was drafting. (If it is a close call, the software will prompt the user to say if there was any drafting in the ride.) Otherwise, if the ride was solo and there is an O&B, laps, or a closed-loop, then the wind data will be analyzed to remove any problems due to wind offset (a.k.a. wind cal) being off.
analyze_route.png
analyze_route.png (158.38 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
The above is an example of an out & back ride that I did solo. The software automatically detected the out & back and these are the settings it presented when the window was opened and no further setting changes are needed for this ride; however, here are some tips if the need arises:

* If the software incorrectly detects an O&B or laps, you can get rid of it by unchecking "Ride Has Out & Back" or "Ride Has Laps" depending on which was detected.
* If there was any drafting in the ride, check the box in order to make sure the wind data is not analyzed
* If wind conditions changed significantly during the ride, check the "Wind Changed" box which, again, will make sure the wind data is not analyzed

Since the entire ride was and Out & Back, the program correctly figures out that the "Ride Ended Where it Began" as shown in the screenshot. This is the only setting that might be automatically detected in the area with the radio buttons; however, you can make addition edits manually if necessary:

* Use "Selection Ends & Starts at Same Place" to tell the software that only part of the ride was a closed loop or O&B or laps. Click and drag in the graph to highlight the section and then click the button next to "Selection Ends & Starts at Same Place"
* Alternatively, if the ride is a one-way ride but you know the starting elevation and the ending elevation (e.g. a commute ride), you can click the button to enter the information. When you click the button, a dialog box opens up where you can enter the two elevation values. The data is analyzed appropriately for the values you enter.
* In the extreme case that a false O&B ride is detected that also causes the "Ride Ended Where it Began" to be selected, be sure to uncheck both boxes in order for the ride to be processed correctly. This should be rare, but if it happens it will probably be for rides where the terrain is very flat such as in Florida.

Note that all of this analysis is done by processing the altimeter and/or slope data for patterns. It's not perfect, but it is pretty good. We used a large database of over 400 ride files from a variety of riders and different ride conditions in order to tune the algorithm to detect as many features correctly as possible without resulting in too many false detections. I think you will find the the analysis usually does a good job, but there will always be a few rides that stump the detector in which case you can correct the issues in the new window above.

Some other goodies:

* By default, this route analysis will now happen automatically. This is done in two stages, the CPU-intensive part when you download ride files. The second stage happens the first time you view the ride. During the second stage, you may be prompted an answer whether there was drafting in the ride or if the ride ended where it started (in other words, was it a closed-loop ride). This way, if you download a bunch of rides all at once you only see the dialogs when you view them later. Be sure to save changes to avoid future dialogs. There are new settings in the Preferences window if you would like to turn off the automatic route analysis.

* If the ride is a one-way ride and you don't know the starting and ending elevation, there is a new feature that can use weather station data downloaded from http://www.wunderground.com in order to corrected the altimeter data. Select the menu item "Tools -> Set Atmospheric Pressure..." entering your local weather station.

See the release notes below for further information. One of the more significant bug fixes is that the program should now work correctly for those who have locality settings that use comma for the decimal character (e.g. million = 1.000.000,00)

iBike 4.0.3 Release Notes

Code: Select all

* The “Analyze Power” tool has been expanded into the new “Analyze Route” tool under the Tools menu.  In addition to its old functions, the tool processes elevation data to automatically detect sections of the ride ridden on the same road, either as a portion of an out & back ride or as multiple laps.  If such conditions are detected, the information is used to analyze any possible improvements to the ride data that are possible.  The user is also able to override the automatic route detection information if necessary, or to add additional information that goes undetected.  Further, even if the ride file is a one-way ride (a commute for example), starting and ending elevation data can be entered to correct for atmospheric pressure changes during the ride.  Note that more complex types of out & back rides can be detected, such as a partial out & back rides that contains a loop in the middle.  
* There are new controls in the preferences window for setting how route analysis is performed on downloaded ride files.  By default, route detection happens automatically when rides are downloaded, but this can be set in the preferences window.  If additional information is needed from the user, a dialog box appears the first time that the user views the downloaded ride file.  Be sure to save changes to the ride file to avoid the dialog box in the future.
* There is a new function “Tools -> Set Atmospheric Pressure” for removing the effects of varying atmospheric pressure during the course of a ride by using weather data from a nearby weather station.  The new route analysis function is the preferred method for making such adjustments, but this function can be used in some situations where route analysis cannot (e.g., one-way rides where starting and ending elevation values are not known).  This function replaces the old “Set Weather” function, which was only needed for legacy ride files acquired with FW 1.14 and older.
* Fixed bugs when reading files on computers set to use the comma character as decimal as in Europe.  (Please report any further problems anyone finds.)
* Fixed a bug that sometimes caused cadence data to disappear.  The cadence data can be recovered on such rides files by doing “Tools -> Return to Original Download”.
* Fixed a bug that on rare occasions could cause speed and wind data to become unsynchronized.  Such ride files can be repaired by doing “Tools -> Return to Original Download”.
* New file format for CSV ride files, but the changes are only in the binary data sections.
* Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the calibration ride processing to only process a small portion of the ride file.
* Small internal improvements in handling air density and atmospheric pressure.
* Additional small change to the function for repairing speed spikes.
* Names can now be edited in the Power Meter Comparison window.
lorduintah

Re: iBike 4.0.3 is released

Post by lorduintah »

There are a couple of tasks in the application that seem to be excessively slow - file saving and opening are an example. (Mac version). These dialogs should almost be immediate. This may be Snow Leopard and not the iBike program as the file manipulations are slow in Safari, too!)

I have a ride that completely traces the route - sections are one way then back (but there are pieces - think of drawing a Y - and not lifting the pencil but getting back to the beginning from wherever you started), but is not the clean out/back in the truest sense.

How do you go about updating the profile after an analyze route?

Tom
Attachments
iBike_03_31_2010_1232_25_Miles.csv
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 330 times
Russ

Post by Russ »

Worked well under XP for me.
Looks great! Really cool new features!!!
Thanks Travis,

Russ
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

lorduintah wrote:There are a couple of tasks in the application that seem to be excessively slow - file saving and opening are an example. (Mac version). These dialogs should almost be immediate. This may be Snow Leopard and not the iBike program as the file manipulations are slow in Safari, too!)
I did check and found that this build shouldn't be any slower than previous builds. There might be something else going on if things are slow in Safari too.
lorduintah wrote:I have a ride that completely traces the route - sections are one way then back (but there are pieces - think of drawing a Y - and not lifting the pencil but getting back to the beginning from wherever you started), but is not the clean out/back in the truest sense.
Once of the segments of the "Y" should be detected as a section of O&B. Hopefully it is the segment where the ride begins and ends, but it depends on which segment looks "best" to the algorithm.
lorduintah wrote:How do you go about updating the profile after an analyze route?
That doesn't happen with the route analysis feature. This feature touches elevation, slope, wind offset, and power, but does not make any modifications that cause the need for updating a profile.

Travis
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Russ wrote:Worked well under XP for me.
Looks great! Really cool new features!!!
Thanks Travis,

Russ
Glad you like it!
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Travis -

Yes - slow response on Mac system was due to some issues with the newest release of Snow Leopard. I did a re-install of the update using the combo update not the incremental. Also did a cleanup of the system permissions - the application of both of these has restored system performance, so nothing was due to the iBike software. Which, I might add, is what I suspected when it took place initially.

Tom
rruff

Post by rruff »

Thanks Travis... good stuff!

I wanted to point out though, that we should be careful with zeroing the wind on out and back rides on windy days. Even if the wind is totally consistent (ie same going out as coming back) the effective wind will *not* cancel out... and the stronger it is and the more it comes from the side, the more this is true.

As an example I looked at cruising at 250W on a road bike with a 10mph 90 degree cross-wind. Speed is 21.6 mph. If there was no wind it would take only 232W to go that speed. And the equivalent headwind for a 10mph crosswind would be 1.1mph. So if it's windy out, you should generally have an average wind that is greater than zero.

Some discussion here from Jobst Brandt: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html
Russ

Post by Russ »

rruf, nice post, got me thinking about my Navy days as (back then called) a radarman using maneuvering boards for vector solutions to relative motion and wind.

The Sheldon Brown link is interesting and in particular figure two shows increased power required for even slight tail winds, as I read it. Infact, best I can understand, a wind blowing perpendicular to your actual course of motion is still experienced as a head wind, though from off center, more so as your bike speed increases. The last situation described in the following paragraph depicts this.

Here is a quote (and link) from the Navy instructions:
"Wind Problems
Relative wind is the direction and speed from
which the wind appears to be blowing. Relative wind
seldom coincides with true wind, because the direction
and speed of the relative wind are affected by own
ship’s movement. For example, if your ship is heading
north at 10 knots and the true wind is blowing from the
south at 10 knots, there appears to be no wind at all. In
another situation, your ship may be heading north with
the wind appearing to blow in on the port bow, but the
true wind is actually coming from the port quarter. In
both of these cases, the ship’s movement is affecting
the relative wind."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 8_ch11.pdf

The vector solution via maneuvering board is discussed in detail after figure 11-16.

Russ
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Travis -

4.0.3 will not read data from my iBike on the Mac Version (Intel). I can use 4.0.2 on my PPC Mac and input works.

Also - After attempting to read the data, the progress window pops up several times and at the end I get the previous file, I also see that the space used on the iBike for data says 0%, while in version 4.0.2 the same says 9% used.

I turned off auto analyzed route to see if that made any difference - no luck.

I can transfer the csv version of the data from the PPC Mac and version 4.0.3 will process that.

Tom
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

lorduintah wrote:Travis -

4.0.3 will not read data from my iBike on the Mac Version (Intel). I can use 4.0.2 on my PPC Mac and input works.

Also - After attempting to read the data, the progress window pops up several times and at the end I get the previous file, I also see that the space used on the iBike for data says 0%, while in version 4.0.2 the same says 9% used.

I turned off auto analyzed route to see if that made any difference - no luck.

I can transfer the csv version of the data from the PPC Mac and version 4.0.3 will process that.

Tom
Tom, sounds like there is something we need to debug with your Mac/Intel setup. I'll email you.

Travis