New to training with power

Abu Jack

New to training with power

Post by Abu Jack »

I am a 44 yo male and have been riding for about 18 months. I have had my IPro since November. It's been frustrating so far. When I first got it and tried the fit test, the first few times it seemed like i was never putting out any power for the first 5 minutes of the test, so I wore myself out and the results were disappointing. I also had difficulty with the interval function it seemed like the same thing happened over and over. Anyway I was given The Time Crunched Cyclist book for christmas. So, I decided to input the two eight minute intervals with ten minute RBI in by hand. I finally got an interval that I thought was a good measurement. Now I have something I can use with the recommended training in the book. Average watts 201 Avg Hr 183 Max Hr 188 (Highest I've ever seen)

A couple questions:

Does the file look like everthing is the way is should be?

I thought the intervals would show up in the file but only the second one did as a seperate segment that I could just click on and see the results. Is there a way to set the IPro so each interval is segmented like the one at 12.3 miles in the attached file?

Thanks
Attachments
iBike_01_04_2011_1228_19_Miles.csv
(897.38 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
racerfern

Re: New to training with power

Post by racerfern »

You've got a number of very basic issues that need solving. I suggest you go back to the beginning.

1) Install the latest version of iBike software which was just released. v5.0.5

2) Click on Help > Fast Setup For Wireless Mounts and follow directions for Fast Start Setup. The easiest way to get to this starting point is probably to remove the battery in the iPro, flip it over then install it normally. Perform the setup as noted on pages 2-3. This includes entering your info, your basic riding position, etc. Note that in one place you're asked for your weight, in another place your asked for total weight (you, bike, gear, water bottles, etc). When going through the Fast Start Screens you come to one that says Est Aero. Click the center button on that one. That's where you enter more info. Some people tend to go right past that. Follow the instructions to a "T" and you should be OK.

3) Then do the calibration ride as noted on page 4.

Here's a list of the issues I see and suggested resolutions.

1) You struggle through the first 5 minutes because the tilt calibration is off. A proper one time setup will fix that.

2) If the ride you posted was an out/back ride then your windscaling might be off. A proper cal ride will fix this. Try to do this in as calm conditions as possible. I live by the ocean and I do my cal rides before 6AM if I ever need one.

3) I come up with a higher average wattage because it seems your profile has you being far more aerodynamic than you probably are.

As far as intervals, when starting intervals, enter the screen (assuming you are using user screen) and the timer will start. Do this before you're ready to really start the interval. Now press the center button to actually start your interval and a "lap" marker will be inserted. That's the workaround. Of course you can always insert lap markers into the ride file once it's downloaded.

All in all the ride looks OK. Fix a few minor issues and you'll have a reliable and repeatable unit.

BTW, you have your FTP set at 142. Once you get the unit dialed in do the fitness test as shown in the manual. You're substantially higher than that.
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Fernando,
Thanks a ton for taking the time to help me out. From what I gather from your reply, every time I change the battery I need to go through fast start as well as a cal ride? I have done cal rides with the tilt test (rotating the bike 180 degrees a couple times) as well a few coast downs. But I have changed the battery since then.
BTW, you have your FTP set at 142. Once you get the unit dialed in do the fitness test as shown in the manual. You're substantially higher than that.

Thanks for that. That FTP came from the fit test I completed. One point of frustration was that I would try the intervals that are pre loaded and they just seemed too easy.

Thanks again.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

NO!!!! If you go through fast start every time you change a battery you'll have to do the setup all over again. You only need to do a setup and calride once. Here's the easiest way to change the battery:

Go to the setup screen and navigate to the batt voltage screen. When you're on that screen you press the center button. That shuts off the unit. Now open the battery door, remove the old battery and insert the new one. Put the cover on and you're done. Next time you wake up the iBike you'll have retained all your info, even the clock.

You only need to do the fast start and calibration ride once for a good setup. You would make changes if you significantly changed your riding position or you moved the iBike location on the bars or stem.

So... under average conditions once your iBike is setup as previously described all you have to do is wake the unit up then:
1) Do the wind calibration which is the the first screen
2) If your weight changed go to that screen and make the adjustment there.

That's it.
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

OK, so since I have done those why am I getting the low numbers? Do I need to adjust the aero numbers? The only other thing I can think of is that I do my intervals at work on my lunch break which is about 25 miles away from where I did the cal ride at my home. Would that make a diference?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Correct, as I suggested earlier in this thread I thought your CdA was too low and your wind scaling was too low ( at least assuming with the ride you posted that it was an out/back). Rather than tweaking numbers I think you would be better off doing the FAST START process and getting good base numbers to go from.

This has nothing to do with location, I see it as an issue with your initial setup. After you do the FAST START and calibration ride following the manual we can compare numbers. Please post a ride after your new setup.
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Wilco, I'll do the cal ride this weekend and post. My weekday ride uses a bike lane that is only on one side of a four way road. It's not conducive to the necessary 180 degree turn.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The one way ride on the four lane road could explain the low wind speed. So a good comparison would be to the ride in the other direction of the same road if possible. That will give a better indication of your wind calibration.

Of course, do this after the setup and cal ride we talked about. Have fun.
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Didn't have a chance to do the cal ride this weekend. It was too windy. 10-gusting to 20 Saturday and 7 gusting to 13 Sunday.
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

I attached the cal ride and the ride I did immediately after the cal ride. I also did a couple coast downs. Prior to the cal ride I did not go to the aero page and set the hooks, so I think things are not right. I looked at the aero on the 17 mile ride and it is back down to the lower number. So, I am guessing that I need to redo the cal ride again.
Attachments
iBike_01_16_2011_1615_17_Miles.csv
(777.51 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
101111_1325_cal_ride_AB7E1002.ibcd4m
(239.32 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You're not making this very easy on yourself or anyone trying to help you :( The calride and coastdown is from November 2010. Yesterday's ride is a nice steady ride. So I bumped your windscaling slightly because of the ride data and used some of the typical settings I previously suggested.

Why don't you take the profile I'm attaching, download it to your iBike and ride. I think this profile will give you some solid numbers to work from. I set your FTP at 200 although it's probably quite a bit higher.
Attachments
AbuJack1fromFM.ibp
(415 Bytes) Downloaded 406 times
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Thanks for the profile, I uploaded it. Sorry for the wrong file. The correct one is attached. I really appreciate your help.
Attachments
110116_cal_data.ibcd4m
(231.98 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Today's Fit Test.
Attachments
iBike_01_27_2011_1032_7_Miles.csv
(286.5 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Nice job! Now that was textbook perfect. Looks like an FTP of 235. The nice thing is you can go back and test the same location and really watch your progress. All your efforts really paid off.

I do see two issues and one of them needs to be addressed:
1) Your before and after tilt are off quite a bit. So you probably showed wattage that was a lot less than your real effort. You NEED to do a tilt calibration. Nothing else, just a tilt calibration. Take a look at the Analyze Tilt and Power Advanced View and click on the "Show Tilt Plot" button. The before and after lines should be level for all intents and purposes. Either your tilt calibration is off or something is loose, either the mount, bar, head tube... check it out.

2) But you were underwater :)
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

I did the tilt calibration today before my lunch time ride. It took me 4 times to get a good tilt. I looked at the tilt plot it looked better than the fit test, but is it good enough? I looked for something loose on the bike but couldn't find anything. A related question, how often do you have to do the calibration?

Thanks for all your help and patience.
Attachments
iBike_01_28_2011_1122_21_Miles.csv
(930.3 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

This tilt cal is better but it seems to be chasing

You only have to do a tilt calibration once. If you switch profiles then you would have to do it again but other than that your tilt cal is kept in the iBike memory.

It shouldn't take four times to get a good tilt cal. Make sure to hold the bike steady and follow the directions. Something's not right.

Here's a screenshot of a typical tilt plot for me. I'm not bragging, I'm showing you what you should expect.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 16613 times
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Still have the issue. I was trying to do intervals on this ride. My target wattage was 208-220. The reading on the ibike was low for the first interval, so I kept pushing and ended up with an average for that interval that was much higher than I expected.
Attachments
iBike_02_01_2011_0726_21_Miles.csv
(948.06 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

It's weird that your tilt plot moves so much. The before and after analysis number are excellent, but the tilt skews the initial numbers. I'll ask someone from Velocomp to jump in.
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Fern,
Iv'e been pretty happy with the way things are going. Last week I realized my front hub was loose and had it tightened up at my LBS. I looked at the tilt plot from my ride today and it looks pretty different. What do you think? Thanks for looking.
Attachments
iBike_03_08_2011_1126_20_Miles.csv
(939.71 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

As ugly as it is, it's a ton better. You need to redo your tilt calibration because everything changed. That's why it drops so radically for the first few minutes.
Fernando
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

Got it. Thanks.
Abu Jack

Post by Abu Jack »

I just finished an 8 week training block.

W/Kg went from 2.44 to 3.1
FTP went from 211 to 256.

Thanks for the help Fern.
Attachments
iBike_03_27_2011_0807_7_Miles.csv
(288.49 KiB) Downloaded 326 times