Question about outside rides

bradwilson

Question about outside rides

Post by bradwilson »

Does the wind in this ride look correct? This was a group ride with drafting. I have noticed that my trainer rides have a higher average output than my outside rides.

Thanks, Brad
Attachments
iBike_08_21_2010_0706_13_Miles.csv
Trainer Ride
(116.35 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
iBike_08_24_2010_1726_27_Miles.csv
Outside Group ride
(268.05 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Question about outside rides

Post by Velocomp »

I think your outdoor ride is fine but that your indoor trainer watts are high.

On your indoor trainer you have a section where you average about 20 mph and average watts are about 252. This may be correct for your trainer but that's a pretty intense trainer.

On outdoor rides, on the level, with no drafting, I find that 20 mph requires about 200W. This rule of thumb is in line with your outdoor results.
John Hamann
bradwilson

Post by bradwilson »

Ok great! I am using a Kurt Kinetic (6lb weight), and I loaded up the KK profile from iBike software. Does the trainer profile need to be modified?

Thanks,
Brad W.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Every iBike is different and every placement of the iBike is different - as are the riders and their positions and riding styles. So every iBike gets a different calibration.

You cannot possibly think that a trainer is reproduced exactly every time they make one? The power curves the manufacturers supply are typical, not customized per trainer. Many are set up to mimic a 1% grade not flat land, too.

Use the trainer and power readings as a day to day relative measure. Set your workouts relative to that and not some fantasy absolute number.

Same thing goes for tires - even the ones on your car - you make enough of a change to them and you may not record your speed correctly or you may change your gas mileage.

All in all - don't be hung up on the absolute number, but train relative to them - they get better - you get better.

Tom
bradwilson

Post by bradwilson »

Agreed, thanks for the input. I will use it in that manner.

Thanks for all the support, I really enjoy using the iBike!

Brad