Total Wattage?

mseanschmidt

Total Wattage?

Post by mseanschmidt »

iBike gives an Average Wattage for your ride but is there a Total Wattage generated during a ride? In other words, I could do a 1hr ride or a 4hr ride and on both get an Average Watts of 150w. The only real cumulative number based on work done I can see would be calories burned. I would think if watts is a direct measurement of true work being done that you could calculate a Total Wattage Output to compare overall work done between different rides.

Hopefully some of you experts could shed some light on this for me. Thanks for your help!
racerfern

Re: Total Wattage?

Post by racerfern »

That would be like saying total horsepower required to drive cross country. There is no such number. The effort number is your calorie expenditure.
Fernando
mseanschmidt

Post by mseanschmidt »

that was kind of what i was thinking but wanted to make sure! thanks for the help!
Russ

Post by Russ »

I think technically the KJ is total output and could be converted to whatever in energy terms. The calories is based on kj with assumed efficiency of the body.

Well for 4 hrs at 150w you can also multiply hours times watts to get watt hours and divide by 1000 if you want KWH like you buy from the electric company :-). So your example ride would be a total of about 600 watt hours or .6KWH total.... Or at 10.8cents per KWH you generated just over .06$ equivalent worth of electricity for your several thousand dollar investment :-) You need to ride a lot to earn your investment back!

Regards,
Russ
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

The tss (or total stress score?) is cumulative as well, and might be a more satisfying number than calories burned.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

jazclrint wrote:The tss (or total stress score?) is cumulative as well, and might be a more satisfying number than calories burned.
Actually, an even more satisfying number would be the number of cheeseburgers you can eat after a ride.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories