First Fitness Test - some questions

whftherb

First Fitness Test - some questions

Post by whftherb »

I did my very first fitness test today using iAero v4. I need some more information about the results.

At the end of the test, I got a 1.67 W/kG or a level one (male). However, re-reading the instructions and refreshing memory post-test, I did not get a chance pre-test to enter my weight nor gender. But I didn't have the instructions with me and just passed over these parameters. Plus, when I got the iBike home and plugged in, I find that the 7 mile length test extended slightly beyond 20 mins when I was trying to recover (and not faint!). So, apparently I did not follow the sequence to stop the test. So, I went and click-drag selected the tail end and deleted that and resaved using a diff filename. OK, so here come the questions:

If I didn't enter the weight/gender are my results totally useless? Frankly, I was hoping for a bit better results than a level 1, but am willing to accept something so obviously low. If I'm out of shape, well, I'm out of shape...

Given that the weight and gender were missed, any way to now add those parms back in and "cook up" a new result value?

If you slice off that tail, wouldn't that produce perhaps modified W/kG results? If so, how would I hand-calculate the new results?

I notice that the short ride to the test, the test itself, and the "noodling around" ride after test, all came out as three separate rides. OK, but you have to sort of know that the second ride file is the test. It's pretty easy to tell given the time values.

Any comment?
racerfern

Re: First Fitness Test - some questions

Post by racerfern »

Your first fitness test wasn't useless, it was good exercise. Now that you get the gist of the process, you should do it over so the iBike "learns" your fitness level. I wouldn't worry about clearing out or splitting out a few seconds after the test. Now that you know what to expect you'll be better prepared.

Besides taking the time to enter the correct info, the most important part of the fitness test is consistency. Pick a spot you can return to regularly and know that things like traffic won't get in the way. You don't need a perfect setting but as few interruptions as possible. Get in a good warmup then go for it. The results will be what they are. In a month or two when you're ready for the next test, do the same thing. You'll have consistency and that's most important.
Fernando
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

I would definitely try it again and make sure that you enter your weight correctly. w/kg is very heavily dependent on getting the weight correct.
Also, the day of doing a fitness test before you leave the house make sure that you do a good tilt calibration. If your tilt is off, the tilt correction will kick in but when you start your fitness test it will be off for the first five minutes again. We are working on fixing this, and also a fix to where you won't have three separate files.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
whftherb

Post by whftherb »

OK, folks - I get it. Probably will retest next week. I really pushed out a lot of effort yesterday for it and I know if I try again too soon, I'll not get a good effort to measure from. I'm lucky to be in a really good area for this test. Delray Beach FL and A1A north is about as perfect as you can get for a consistent effort over the 20 mins required. But because I'm just down here for a month, I see a whole new string of tests when I return to NH in April. Different terrain is a definite for my home riding environment.

Funny that I did not get a option/chance to input weight and gender in the start up sequence. Perhaps I completely missed it when it came up but I honestly don't remember seeing it and was only aware of it when I came back home. I thought I was careful but as racefern says I know now what to expect.

I think this is one of the neatest things with the new firmware. And, then I just started reading about creating individualized training intervals! Wow. When used in conjunction with Cyclo-Core (http://www.cyclo-club.com) I think I've got enough cycling training regimen to last me for quite a while.

Now, it all comes down to: I've got to get out there and just do it.

Thanks for the assist.

H
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

Did my first test too. My question is: During set-up, I entered "hoods" as primary riding position. When I did the test, I was on the drops the whole time though. Should I have done the test riding on the hoods? In an all out effort, I find it more comfortable on the drops.