Fitness Test Procedure

MdC

Fitness Test Procedure

Post by MdC »

Attempted a test yesterday and abandonded it after 5 minutes.
I was working hard and not seeing the power numbers I expected, they were about 100 watts too low.
Looking at the file post ride I realised the tilt had reset at the start of the ride and it was about to correct itself when I pulled the pin.

So, perhaps it would be an idea to add a tilt and wind offset check similar to the cal ride at the start of the fitness test.
I will do next time anyway, but it may be option to add it.
coachboyd

Re: Fitness Test Procedure

Post by coachboyd »

did you do a trip reset before attempting the fitness test? A trip reset will put the tilt back at the default value before the tilt correction kicks in (for five minutes). I'd be interested to know if it does the same when just starting a fitness test.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
MdC

Post by MdC »

No I didn't. I just went straight into the test after riding to the location.
Just to be clear, I ride to the start of the test, do a trip reset and then go into settings, scroll to the test and start it?

In the past, I've done a wind offset and tilt calibration before riding to the start of the test. This time I just did the wind.
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

Nope, you shouldn't have to do a trip reset before starting the fitness test. I'll look into this, you may have found a little bug. . but we'll get right on it.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Russ

Post by Russ »

This thread has jogged my memory of a question I have been forgetting to ask.

When I ride to a cal ride/CD location - my most recent choice is only a few minutes away, if I hurry I can get started without a new tilt cal. I figure the wind cal is beneficial but what about the tilt and the automatic tilt correction?

If the tilt correction has kicked in after the five minute point, does that help with an improved cal ride and CD? Or is going straight into the cal ride right after the tilt calibration best?

Is the auto correction of tilt even used during the cal ride and CD's?

Thanks,
Russ
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

If you've done a proper tilt correction there should be virtually no difference in wattage as you cross the 5 minute barrier.

However, when doing a calride you are technically starting a new ride so any tilt correction that took place after 5 minutes and before 15 minutes is canceled out by starting a new ride.
Fernando
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I had a simular problem as the original poster the other day.

I did a strength Fit train on the way out got bored and decided to do fit test for the first time in like 2 months. I have a w/kg of 1.93 so the workout was really easy. I started the fit test and everything looked right until I wend down a slight hill. It read 0 for about a minute and KILLED my wattage, and then it looked better, but I was working really hard and getting 180ish watts going hard and at 18-20mph on a flat. I had been getting that kind of wattage going 12mph in training mode just moments before. What's going on? Also I have an iSport, so I have no way of hooking it to my computer seeing what happened. It may also be important to know I'm '62" and 222lbs. And, I have won a month of free training, so I'd like to have things working right. I suspect it's more to do with drag than gravity. It seems to do the hills right, it's just when I know I'm putting out some power it's telling me I'm not.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged