FTP testing on steeper hills vs flats

GWPOS

FTP testing on steeper hills vs flats

Post by GWPOS »

I did my last FTP test about 8 weeks ago and am to do a re-test in 1 week. I normally test on a section of road that is 4-8% climb. I know I should keep testing on the same area I have test in the past, but was wandering if maybe a more gentle grade would be better...say 1-3% incline??

The only reason I ask is because lately I have struggled doing 15 and 20 min intervals @ FTP or slightly higher on the steep climb but seem to be able to do them easier (if there is such a thing) on the more flat area. Maybe because I can have a faster cadence on the flatter area??

I race XC mountain bikes so I am usually either climbing or descending all of the time. There is not a lot of time spent on the flats if that really matters.

Also on another note coachboyd recommended doing 2-3 5 min efforts just below FTP to buffer my legs for the 20 min test. Is that right coachboyd or did I miss something? I guess I am concerned because my LTHR is normally 174 for a 20 min HR test when I was using a HR monitor to train with, but on my last FTP test it was 180 for the 20 min test. I f I do the buffering efforts will it help to eliminate me from maybe doing my test in an anaerobic state? Or........am I just over analyzing all of this????? Thanks

Clint
Morocco Mole

Re: FTP testing on steeper hills vs flats

Post by Morocco Mole »

You might be thinking about it too hard ;) A 20 minute test is really just that, CP20 or test of your Critical Power for 20 minutes. We then use that number to calculate\estimate FTP eg CP20 x 95% Was curious if your 180 HR test was also your highest average power for the 20 minutes? I have found my best 20 was accompanied by my highest avg HR, probably because I worked harder than ever before, and also because my lactate threshold was improved.

The steeper climbs at lower cadences are probably causing your muscles to fatigue and therefore the corresponding drop in power. Something around 4% is probably ideal as it doesn't allow you to slacken off during the pedal stroke (eg, you are more effecient), yet you can still maintain a high enough cadence so not to fatigue. If you were a roadie I would say do your testing on a flat circuit as it will teach you to be more efficient, it took me a while but I can usually match my climbing effort on the flat, just takes more concentration.

Also regarding the 5 minutes efforts, it's just a good warmup routine that primes you to start clearing lactate, eg the lactate buffering process. The important thing is to make your test repeatable, same warmup, same circuit, etc

Cheers
Jim
GWPOS

Re: FTP testing on steeper hills vs flats

Post by GWPOS »

Thanks for your reply. I figured I was over thinking it, but I guess thats what happens sometimes. On my last FTP 20 min test I did I subtracted the 5% to get my FTP, but then I read that Cogan even goes as high as subtracting 7% for those that have a higher anaerobic level which may or may not be my case. Here I go over thinking again!!??

So to make this short as possible like I mentioned earlier I was starting to struggle on my workouts when slightly above FTP, but I think it was more because I was starting to feel overtrained than anything. The rains made me move some workout days around so I ended up with a couple of more hard workouts together than my plan called for without any recovery. Will definitely have to watch that in the future.

And yes the 180 HR was my new highest level of power for 20 min I have done as of now. It was done at the end of a recovery week so I was nice and fresh in the legs. I will just keep doing my test in the same spot that way I get consistent results and my test are done in the same area. Thanks again...

Clint