Something new for TT applications

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Something new for TT applications

Post by Velocomp »

We've been working on this and hope to have it available soon!

(Can you tell what it is?)
Attachments
TT port.jpg
TT port.jpg (133.42 KiB) Viewed 13553 times
John Hamann
racerfern

Re: Something new for TT applications

Post by racerfern »

That's cool! An alternate air intake for the wind port. Kind of looks like the snorkel intake on a Range Rover, actually a kind of pitot tube variation.
Fernando
Robert

Post by Robert »

I like the idea a lot. I don't do many TT's, but had to do a short one for this weekend's stage race. I just slap some aero bars on my bike and have never taken the time to set my iBike up with a different mount to do coast downs or an out and back in the aero position. This looks like a much better and faster option for when I have to do the occasional time trial!
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

Even if you are not doing a TT, from early test data, it appears that it improves the wind scaling factor of the iBike, thus improving your data accuracy.
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

Just a wondering if there is any update on how this is looking, and maybe even an estimate on when iit might be available? Yep I am anxious....

Thanks a bunch

Chris
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Within the next 30 days...
John Hamann
jim_s

Post by jim_s »

Ah, cool! Do I get a cut of the action on new TT setups, since I was proposing pitot tubes back in the good ole' Topica days?? ;-> (http://lists.topica.com/lists/iBikeProP ... start=2425)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sure, we'll consider sharing profits in the future, as long as you're willing to absorb today your share of the engineering and tooling costs :D
John Hamann
samisrour

Post by samisrour »

I was under the impression that a pitot tube works on the ram air principle. Placing a curved long tube such as in the picture, how will it work in principle? I have tried a straight tube on the Iaero, but not on the Gen3, but the numbers don't work out.
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

You will get a new wind scaling factor with the pitot tube. With this you will need to do new coastdowns and a calibration ride. Then you will be good to go with the pitot tube. If you take the tube out, you will need to go back to the original wind scaling.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
jim_s

Post by jim_s »

Heh heh, sounds like a deal John - put me down for the aquarium tubing - I'm sure our family fish won't miss a few hundred feet of that! :-)

You guys truly do rock - great to see you exploring the options and limits of the setup.

I think you guys might be onto something as regards keeping rain water out of the port, too!! :-)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Remember that the iBike measures air pressure, not wind speed.

With the Remote Wind Sensor, the moving air that hits the remote, funnel-shaped port pressurizes the the air in the tube. At the other end of the tube is...the iBike's wind sensor, which measures the magnitude of that air pressure. Since the air pressure is the same throughout the tube, you'll get accurate wind readings with the Remote Wind Sensor.

Even though we're measuring air pressure, we call this a wind sensor. Most people are more comfortable with the idea of wind speed than they are of air pressure.
John Hamann
Steve_Davidson

Post by Steve_Davidson »

Velocomp wrote:We've been working on this and hope to have it available soon!

(Can you tell what it is?)
Great stuff John. This will be excellent for aero testing 8-)

I tried a rigid tube a while back but had a lot of trouble fitting it to the front of the ibike and didn't get the weather window for proper aero testing. I wanted rigid tube so that I could extend it out in front of my aero bars and test different hand positions on the TT bike. Looks from the picture that the tube your using is run up one of the extensions so it would be easy to extend it out a bit.

cheers

Steve
mfez

Post by mfez »

How does it attach to the unit? also, what is the eta for when it will be available. I just got a topeak thing, but really don't like the way it looks.
samisrour

Post by samisrour »

Hey Steve, what brand is your aero helmet with the wind screen. It looks very Aerodynamic from this picture

Sami Srour
ludlaw

Post by ludlaw »

Anyone hear when this is going to ship?
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

It is shipping now!!! Good stuff

Chris