Heart rate strap water proof?

gerrard

Heart rate strap water proof?

Post by gerrard »

I assume it is so it can be worn in the swim but thought I better check. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Gerrard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Heart rate strap water proof?

Post by Velocomp »

Assume nothing! I, for one, don't know. Best to check some triathlon forums...
John Hamann
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Velocomp wrote:Assume nothing! I, for one, don't know. Best to check some triathlon forums...
Um, you make it - shouldn't you know?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nope, we don't make it; we buy it from the same people who make the Garmin strap, Timex strap, etc etc...
John Hamann
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Velocomp wrote:Nope, we don't make it; we buy it from the same people who make the Garmin strap, Timex strap, etc etc...
Ah, ok. There's a lot of different model straps out there so the answer for one might not be the same as others. Let me know who makes the straps and where I can get hold of them. I'll check it out and report back here for those interested.

Cheers
Gerrard
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

Why would you want to wear it in the swim as the unit (ibike or idash) would only record your heart rate if it's mounted on the bike and active ?

Wearing it swimming unnecessarily risks the unit getting corroded (in sea water) - wouldn't it?

FWIW, I own a Suunto strap - with a watch based HRM - I tried it out swimming in a freshwater pool once and it works intermittently - signal readings shows huge spikes. Suunto advises that water is a poor conductor of wireless signals. If that helps.
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

It's not to capture data during the swim, it's so you don't have to stuff around putting it on in T1 . Watch any race and you'll see a lot of people come out of the water with it already on.

Gerrard
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Can't find who makes the strap, but have asked Garmin the question - might take a few days for the answer.

This is about the best annecdotal info I can find out there (suggesting it IS waterproof) http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_ ... _P2356284/
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Well the official word from Garmin says NOT waterproof: "Your Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) is rated at IPX-7 for the waterproofing. This means that it is resistant to incidental water contact, such as sweat & rain. It is not rated to be able to be worn while swimming."

Bugger - there goes my almost lightening transition times ;)

If I was motivated enough to get another ANT+ strap that was waterproof would that work fine with the ibike?

Gerrard
jesawdy

Post by jesawdy »

IMHO, I think Garmin just gave you the "safe" answer. Check out the DC Rainmaker site, I think I recall him saying that he will wear the Garmins straps while swimming.
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Yeah the annecdotal information seems to say it's ok, but the official line says otherwise. I guess it's ok up to a point, but no one's prepared to say exactly what that is!

IPX-7 = "Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion)." which means it can handle AT LEAST that and probably some more. Guess I'll have to find out one day ;)
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

I have used my strap several times during the swim portion of the race. I believe is is water resistant to 1m... Which is in excess of 3ft. It sounds shallow, but most races are a beach start, so you tend to stay pretty shallow anyway.