Custom TT mount

veloman

Custom TT mount

Post by veloman »

Hey all-

Like some other iBike users, I was unhappy with the the Topeak Xtender setup. So I worked on a mount for the end of my aero extensions. Long story short, it just didn't work. Enter the iBike Remote Wind Sensor. However, I at the time I was using an uber short 50 mm stem, too short for a stem mount. So not wanting to use the Xtender and snaking vinyl tube around, I came up with a new mount.
IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg (217.57 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
The mount for the iAero is simple bar stock aluminum and zip ties and is surprisingly sturdy. I have the vinyl tube placed inside a much stiffer poly plastic tube. This is key as it prevents it from bouncing as much and actually helps holds the vinyl tubing in place so it doesn't fall out of the head unit. Having the tube extend straight and not curving also helps keep it in place. I cut the poly plastic tube down the length of the tube to assist in getting the vinyl tube inserted and so that it doesn't compress the vinyl tube.
IMG_4211.jpg
IMG_4211.jpg (192.74 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
IMG_4230.jpg
IMG_4230.jpg (141.44 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
The tube "bridge" near the aero extensions end is made from a piece of carbon fiber from the cut-off end of a cf fork steerer tube.

All told the entire set-up weighs about 30 g. It places the head unit in a more visible location so I don't have to tilt my head as much to see the sad power numbers I produce. I haven't ridden a huge amount with this yet, but early indications, calibrations, coastdowns, etc seem favorable thus far.

Lots more picts if anyone is interested, but can only post three here.

-craig
coachboyd

Re: Custom TT mount

Post by coachboyd »

That's a great option and puts the iBike right where you would want to see it. Unfortunately with my Quarq, I can't have the iBike there as the antenna on the Quarq crankset is not strong enough when the iBike is mounted between the aero bars. Supposedly they have a new antenna coming out soon and hopefully it'll help the problem.

The iBike in that position always has a solid lock on the iBike sensors.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories