Lots of tube thingee issues

Brodirt

Lots of tube thingee issues

Post by Brodirt »

I'm a bit confused with this thing. The rubber plug into the iBike head unit doesn't stay in place, and I have it the right way, and it doesn't stay if its the wrong way anyway. It seems as though the torque inherent in the tube plastic is wrenching the tube out of the unit, and I am not trying to use any obtuse angle turns in the tube...I even tried a run with the angle less than 45 deg. and it still torqued out. The velcro that came with the unit doesn't hold the tube in place...meaning the female side of the velco doesnt stay where stuck and the male side doesn't stick to the female side!

I also have the issue with mounting the head unit between my aerobars, but I can deal with that separately.

Has anyone else dealt with these kind of issues. I am very disappointed with the very high price for what right now appears to be a not ready for prime time product.

Can anyone offer some help?
bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Re: Lots of tube thingee issues

Post by bex »

Best I have managed is elastic/rubber bands. There are photos available elsewhere (I think) or descriptions of solutions that others have come up with.
It is a little frustrating, I agree. But the bands work for my wifes unit and she has had no problems.
Her aero bottle also tends to lay against the bend in the tube as it bends down and back underneath the aero bars and it helps keep the tube where it needs to be (and it hades the rubber bands!)
Best of luck.

Bex
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We're coming out with a fix for this soon that will cause the plug to remain in the iBike's wind port. It will be free to all RWS owners.
John Hamann
Brodirt

Post by Brodirt »

I'm glad to hear about the fix.
mk_42

Post by mk_42 »

I just bought an RWS (August) and I see (hope) that the problem has not been fixed yet. You guys put some little sticky snot stuff on the connector which is nice but it still doesn't hold in place. Any better fix coming?
I have had to resort to all sorts of rubber band contraptions and am also very disappointed. For $54 I was expecting something a little better (don't even get me started on the $10 shipping).

For a little perspective the RWS looked cheap to me so I tried just making one. I bought some thick rubber washers, cut one into an oval and glue gunned it to some vinyl tubing and used a conical rubber washer for the wind port end. It looked pretty cheap but the cost was about $6 (I had tubing) and I had enough pieces to make four of them. Long story short, it kept falling out so I coughed up the $54 only to find it looks only marginally less ghetto and falls out just as easily and I had to spend a nearly equal amount of time fiddling with it to get it to stay.
klaus

Post by klaus »

I have the tube on my trike and had some issue on the inital 2-3 rides.
Now I have ridden over 700miles with the tube and it did not come of once. even taking bumps at high speed.

What I found is that the tube needs to be well attached and there should be if possible no tension or twisting of the tube. I turned the rubber piece to fit straight into the wind sensor and ever since it has been perfect.
When I was tuning it and had too much tube around I was getting the problems. Now it just works great for me. Any improvements are welcome anyway
KevinM

Post by KevinM »

Bump.

I'm holding off on my RWS order until the fix is available. Any update guys?

Cheers
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

Has the fix for the RWS been released yet?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We've got an extremely simple fix for those RWS installations where it isn't possible to get the tube to line up perfectly.

Place tiny dow of super glue on the upper surface of the wind port plug. This will hold the plug in place. However, the plug can still be pulled out if necessary.
John Hamann