Sweat causing unit to blank out

JR_70

Sweat causing unit to blank out

Post by JR_70 »

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem - and/or if anyone has a good solution.

Whenever I have a ride over an hour and a half - although only took 1h18 today - and I ride in the aero position - I am finding that my unit will get sweat in between the mount and the unit and causes the "WLS FAIL" to come up - I have figured out that I can pull the unit off, wipe the sweat (or water/Gatorade/what have you) off, and replace the unit - and 50/50 it will start up again if it isn't too wet.

4 hours into my ride - it began to pour and the unit completely shut down after riding in the rain for about 30 minutes....

I am finding it increasingly frustrating though as I seem to sweat a lot and every single long ride I have done this season so far - the unit has died - including two races - which is ultra frustrating when one wants to look at data. I am also very concerned that the unit will die during my Ironman race - not good if you are using it for cadence, speed, AND power numbers to guide you during race day....and/or what happens if it is a rainy day in August???

As I use it on my TT bike - my head and chin are pretty much directly on top of the unit. I have tried wrapping it in saran wrap - but obviously it didn't work out so well today.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice - would love to hear it.

Cheers!
JR_70

Re: Sweat causing unit to blank out

Post by JR_70 »

Just an update - found out that the gasket seal was broken which was causing water/sweat to get into the unit/mount area - so the boys at Velocomp were quick to point it out once I sent them a picture of the bottom of my unit - it has been sent in for a quick warranty repair - so hopefully it will be all good once it comes back. Thanks Velocomp for addressing the issue so quickly.
nreimche

Post by nreimche »

Is the gasket in the battery compartment or between the black (or white) top half and the grey bottom half of the unit? I have this problem too of screen blanking out, one time it didn't, even, save the ride file.
"The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent."~Dr. Phil on the Tonight Show. John Nash(A beautiful mind) remarried, went back to work, etc. Flying Scottsman was Bipolar(like schizophrenia). myspace.com/ask_about_schizophrenia
JR_70

Post by JR_70 »

Hey there...it is in the battery compartment - between the mount and the unit. There is a clear circle that goes around the pins on the unit - it was broken..and sweat was getting in there - we "think" that might have been the problem - but I haven't gotten the unit back yet to confirm whether the issue has been solved....will keep you posted.

Sorry to hear about your frustration.
nreimche

Post by nreimche »

My unit isn't broken, cracked, or anything, but I still had the problem. I may just call velocomp, if it's something else? If someone else has this issue it would be great to read from you. In the meantime I cover it w/ a towel since I am using it on a trainer, and I view my watts from my UNCOVERED Kurt Kinetic power meter. Same circumfrence and power profile as the one in my IBIKE.
"The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent."~Dr. Phil on the Tonight Show. John Nash(A beautiful mind) remarried, went back to work, etc. Flying Scottsman was Bipolar(like schizophrenia). myspace.com/ask_about_schizophrenia
nreimche

Post by nreimche »

Also I don't have a wireless mount. The screen looks like a screen on a watch that isn't waterproof, then gets put in water. I think the sweat evaporates after awhile then it returns to normal. Other possibilities may include: sweat getting in the little hole at the bottom, I guess it's the air pressure port; sweat coming in the front air port; or it's soaking in from the clear screen or red button(s)??????????????????
JR_70

Post by JR_70 »

Well..Gen III is in at Velocomp to get gasket replaced - used my Gen II today on my pre-Ironman ride and it too died 2 hours into my ride - same problem - sweat getting in between the unit and mount.... sent off a note to Aaron (at Velocomp) to see if they can address the issue as I am sure I am not the only one experiencing it (obviously others here are as well). It is very frustrating for me as I have not had one SINGLE outdoor ride where my unit has managed to "survive" the entire ride.

I was going to wrap it in saran wrap to protect it - but then there is an issue with covering the air hole on the bottom of the unit. And I am not sure how to ensure that sweat does not enter between the mount and the bottom .... so if anyone has any ideas - I would really appreciate it - as I only have 2 more long rides to Ironman Canada - and I am debating as to whether or not to simply stick with HR and using my Cateye bike computer instead of risking it....

Cheers!

JR
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

I thought of a solution to the sweat pooling in the LCD area and possibly leaking in through there. This will also make screen much easier to read in the time trial position if you are sweating onto it. Because the LCD is slightly lower, the sweat can pool right on top of it and make it harder to read.

All you have to do it take a strip of clear packaging tape and run it vertical down the screen. Cut it to length so it covers the screen but doesn't interfere with the wind port at the front. As you can see from the picture, you can still read the screen very easily.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
JR_70

Post by JR_70 »

Boyd...awesome idea! Much neater looking than my saran wrap attempt.

I was finding that the sweat was actually entering the space between the unit and the mount. In speaking with John - the simple solution is to wrap tape around the connection area to block any sweat/water from getting in there - however, I had to get the gasket in my Gen III replaced and that will definitely help as well.

John has also mentioned that they might have a fix for the LCD issue as well - so I am really looking forward to seeing the solution. Will keep you guys posted.

Here's hoping that I can log a full 4 hour bike ride next week!!!! ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to post a solution and a pic - helps out a lot.
nreimche

Post by nreimche »

Update! As it turns out I have a visible crack near the lens. I must not have seen it from the distances I usually look at it. It may be a dumb question, but I want to save minutes on my cell phone: Does the warranty cover this kind of thing...cracked outside of unit? I don't know how it could have happened since I haven't sat on it, crashed it, dropped it on a hard surface or from a high spot, et cetera.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Send it to us and we'll take a look.

Velocomp
4931 N Dixie Highway
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Make sure to include your shipping address and a note describing its problems.
John Hamann