New iAero mount

Steve_Davidson

New iAero mount

Post by Steve_Davidson »

Guys,

I've cobbled together a new mount for my iAero for use on the aero bars. Basically used a cut-off section from old tri bar extension, filed out a section to allow the stem mount to be screwed into it, and used some nylon clamps from bicycle reflectors and in true Graeme Obree style, an old piece of steel bracket I found next to a skip in the street.

Attached pictures. Works a treat. :D
DSC00713.JPG
DSC00713.JPG (137.2 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
DSC00723.JPG
DSC00723.JPG (136.93 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
DSC00718.JPG
DSC00718.JPG (125.46 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Re: New iAero mount

Post by bex »

Interesting.
Does the tilt get affected? Its quite a lever acting on the bars isn't it? I tried something similar, but that was my problem, couldn't even get a profile to save, I figured too much flex in the bars.
Is there another piece attached to the cross piece attached between the bars?
I don't see haw its attached with a stem mount.
If it does work well, I think its a better option than the RWS, I have one of those and cannot keep it in place without assistance from elastic bands and tape.

Nice

Bex
Steve_Davidson

Post by Steve_Davidson »

The tilt seems fine on the few rides I've done with it but I don't tend to pull on the extensions. My riding tilt comes out about -0.4% which is about the same as my riding tilt on my road bike.

The stem mount is simply screwed through the bottom of the carbon tube. The top of the carbon tube is drilled away to allow the mount to sit in it. The small metal brackets are simply screwed into the carbon tube. You can see this in the bottom picture.

I have made another mount for my training bike and have attached it below. This is simply a piece of aluminium strip with the stem mount screwed to it and a couple of nylon clamps from bike reflectors (free from my LBS). This mount is easy to make and is solid.
DSC00724.JPG
DSC00724.JPG (134.32 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
DSC00725.JPG
DSC00725.JPG (140.82 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
The RWS would still be handy for aero testing and also if riding in heavy rain but other than that it wouldn't be necessary with the ibike mounted as I have done.

It sits below my wrists and has a clean airflow and more importantly for me, I can see the screen easily without having to tilt my head down.

cheers

Steve
bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Post by bex »

Ahhh got ya
Thanks for explaining.
I think I have a project.

Bex