Strava

GWPOS

Strava

Post by GWPOS »

I was playing around with Strava and exporting files so that I could see them in Strava but the files do not load properly. It keeps setting the date for some time in 1904. Also it has me finishing my ride somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean???? My Garmin files go ok, its just the mergered files from Garmin and Ibike that get wacked. Any ideas why or what is happening?
racerfern

Re: Strava

Post by racerfern »

Post a file, I upload my iBike csv files directly to Strava. I first merge the GPS data in the iBike software and export as a csv, then upload that file to Strava. http://app.strava.com/athletes/6535 for a view of my rides.
Fernando
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

Thanks Fernando, I was trying to export in a different format. Looks good now.
whftherb

Post by whftherb »

Boy! I can't wait to try this tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see how the time difference between the two devices/universes works out.

But Wait a minute...hold the phone. Fern are you using a Garmin? I'm on an Android - I think I'm sunk. From where exactly does the GPS stream from Strava come from???? And where exactly do you inject that GPS stream into the iBike 6.1 software? I'm looking at it now and there's no import. Is it Control-M to merge from another ride file?

Thanks Fern - your research is tops...

H
Last edited by whftherb on Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

GWPOS wrote:I was playing around with Strava and exporting files so that I could see them in Strava but the files do not load properly. It keeps setting the date for some time in 1904. Also it has me finishing my ride somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean???? My Garmin files go ok, its just the mergered files from Garmin and Ibike that get wacked. Any ideas why or what is happening?
Hey, the reason it puts you in the Atlantic just south of Ghana is that one point in the GPS coordinates didn't match up. So, 0,0 is put in. You would have to manually edit the CSV file and change the 0,0 to the row just above 0,0. Then save the CSV file, open the CSV file in iBike software and export again. I believe an updated version of the software will have a solution for this unusual behavior.

As far as the 1904 date, I know why 1904 is the date but I've never seen this. Does the 1904 and the Atlantic Ocean start/finish happen on the same files only?
Fernando
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

whftherb wrote:Boy! I can't wait to try this tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see how the time difference between the two devices/universes works out.

But Wait a minute...hold the phone. Fern are you using a Garmin? I'm on an Android - I think I'm sunk. From where exactly does the GPS stream from Strava come from???? And where exactly do you inject that GPS stream into the iBike 6.1 software? I'm looking at it now and there's no import. Is it Control-M to merge from another ride file?

Thanks Fern - your research is tops...

H
OK, if you have a Droid then I think My Tracks from the Play store will work just fine. It offers a TCX export IIRC. You might have to play with some of the options, but it SHOULD work. Yes, CTRL-M blends the GPS data and timestamp into the iBike file. Then export as a csv and you have that Strava and many other sites will accept. The nice thing is you get the data streams of the iBike while using the TCX file for the GPS and timestamp only. Almost all my Strava uploads are done that way.

If you need help with it, post the iBike file and the Android / My Tracks file. I'll check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... HJhY2tzIl0.
Fernando
seanw18

Post by seanw18 »

I have had this problem too.

All you have to do is crop either the start or end of the ride to remove the points without GPS co-ordinates before exporting to TCX and unloading to strava.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

That works also. The error generally occurs in the first or last ten seconds, so cropping a tiny bit from either end is a nice workaround.

Note that once in a blue moon you'll get an error in the "middle" of the ride and it may be tough to figure out the exact spot. That's why I export to csv so I can edit it with Excel or a decent text editor.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

I did a ride on Saturday where I logged the ride to My Tracks on my Android phone and then uploaded it to Strava (I hadn't yet played around with this merge function of the software yet). So I exported the GPS data from Strava to a GPX file and then ran the merge function and ended up with a .CSV file that had 0's in the Latitude and 0's in the Longitude from line 6 (the beginning of the data right below the header line) to line 156 (0.5833 miles). I tried taking the numbers in line 157 and putting them into all the previous lines with zeros and then uploading the file to Strava and it was seen as a "bad file". Then I tried deleting all of the lines with zeros and that was also seen as a "bad file".

Then I found a function on Strava that lets you crop the file. You can move the start point by pushing a little arrow button. You just need to push that button until the start location is no longer in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean (it should then be at your real starting point, or close to it).

So ... I fixed my problem but I am curious as to why neither of the fixes that I tried worked. Any ideas??

This is definitely a cool function. It is a few hoops to go through and I'm mildly considering getting a Garmin but I really don't want to mount another device on my bike (I am a gadget geek but that may just be a bit too much). The main issue is that the phones (at least mine) have a maximum battery life of about 5 hours using the GPS (and I've heard that 5 hours is really, really good). I have been on a ride that was about 7 hours that would not have recorded all the data. Phones also don't like water much. You have to remember to start the app on your phone (easier to forget than to start a bike computer that's right on your bars). A Garmin ... or an iBike definitely do better in wet conditions. And ... I think that the GPS devices have more fine grained GPS functionality (don't know how much difference that makes or not).

So ... while the merge functionality is pretty cool and it seems to work pretty well (except for this zero Latitude and Longitude strangeness) I'm still wondering why iBike didn't go with putting GPS right into the Newton+ ???

Thanks,

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Hey Robert, post the iBike file here along with the GPX file you got from Strava. I'll try and make sense of why it didn't match up properly.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

I would but I don't have the originals any more - they're all merged.

If I have it happen again I'll save the originals just in case.

Thanks for the offer.

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Upload what you have. I can strip out the gps stuff and get back to your original data. You can download the GPX from Strava and from there we can come up with a solution. If it's worth a try for you, it's worth it for me.

Let me know what data you come up with.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Alright .. no issues with that!! :D

Interesting - the forum would not accept the GPX file or the GPX file renamed with a .TXT file extension.

I zipped up the Strava GPX export and the iBike CSV file.

Again, the Strava file is probably trimmed now since I made things match using that Strava function. You may not be able to see any of the issues that I saw (original lines 6 - 156 were zeros for the Latitude and Longitude)

Let me know if you find anything.

Thanks,

Robert
Attachments
06_30_2012 - Focus Cyclery Brenner Pass ride.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 662 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You didn't send the original ibr file so i took the csv and stripped out the LAT/LON and timestamp columns. Then I merged the two but it all seems to be working just fine. Take a look at the two screenshots. You do see a couple of areas where there is a lack of recording but all in all, it's pretty good. Try uploading to Strava and see if it looks better.

Note, you had massive negative wind which is not right. That needs to be addressed. I suggest a good cal ride and take a look at your wind scaling numbers. Either that or you followed a truck for the entire ride. :)
Attachments
rstrom_map1.jpg
rstrom_map1.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 33549 times
rstrom_map2.jpg
rstrom_map2.jpg (107.67 KiB) Viewed 33551 times
FM_07_01_2012_0648_31_Miles_GPS.zip
(574.47 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Opps ... sorry ... didn't think about sending that (I always use the CSV's with Training Peaks).

So the ride on Saturday was a pretty good sided group ride that happened to have a local neo-pro tagging along. It was a semi-windy day and there was lots of drafting - hopefully this accounts for what you're seeing.

I have definitely done a CalRide (a few of them). I've posted before that even with the Newton this does NOT appear to be a piece of cake to calibrate. Don't get me wrong, I like the device, but it's certainly not as easy as it's made out to be ... eh ... plug in some numbers and go for a ride. It just doesn't ever seem to be that easy!!

So, I also attached a ride that I did 100% solo easy ride this morning (Monday) for comparison sake.

Let me know what you think (of the GPS and the Calibration).

Thanks much,

Robert
Attachments
iBike_07_02_2012_0546_30_Miles.ibr
Monday Solo ride
(649.53 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
iBike_06_30_2012_0500_78_Miles.ibr
Saturday group ride.
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 566 times
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Figured I'd send the profile as well.

Robert
Attachments
2012-06-28_RStrom_Profile.ibp
(435 Bytes) Downloaded 559 times
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Here's another one that won't upload to Strava.

I believe that I have included all the files that are need to examine the data.

.CSV merged file from Issac for Windows
.IBR file
.TCX file from Android phone using My tracks

I see two rows of zero on lines 10473 and 10474 for Latitude, Longitude, and Timestamp. I also see what appears to be the timestamp starting to repeat itself after that. I tried truncating the file at line 10472 (deleting 10473 and beyond and that didn't upload to Strava and then I tried filling in the data on those two rows and that didn't work either.

Any tips / tricks in fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Robert
Attachments
iBike_07_03_2012.zip
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Well I got it to work.

I was opening the files in Excel and modifying them there.

For some reason I decided to open some of the CSV files in a text editor (Notepad++) and see if there was anything different between one that I knew worked and one that didn't (there wasn't anything that I could see). I did see that there was a blank line at the end of the file - maybe Excel trims that, or maybe it adds some quotes when you save the file (I haven't looked into that yet).

Anyway, I trimmed off everything after line 10472, saved the file and then successfully uploaded to Strava.

So, now the question is why the strange zeros for the Latitude, Longitude, and Timestamp and why the repeat time stamps after that.

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

OK, here's the reason and the solution.
A CSV file from Isaac strips out excess commas. A CSV file from Excel puts them back in.

So... after making a correction or change in Excel and saving it as a csv file, open the file in Isaac and export as a csv. That will strip out the excess commas and Strava will thank you for it.

If you get a couple of zeros in LAT/LON you can use Excel to fill them in with the surrounding numbers, save, open in Isaac, export as csv and you're done.

The GPX or TCX file you have is from a device that has limited GPS capability so there are errors, missing sections of data, etc. Isaac does the best it can do to fix and fill in blanks but there are limitations, hence the zeros. A one second recording file from a Garmin cycling unit won't have those issues. You can also try moving your phone to try and get a better look at the sky.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

The phone is in my back pocket so I think that it's going to have the best reception that it's going to get. I'm still bummed that the Newton doesn't have GPS, having that one device does all is really, really what I wanted :cry:

You mentioned that you didn't think that my profile was good. I posted it in this thread ... could you possibly please take a quick glance at it and let me know what you think?

I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks much,

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Looking at the last file you uploaded here, there's no need to delete data. Simply take the row before the zeros and copy/paste the LAT/LON/Timestamp into the two "0" rows. Save as csv, open in Isaac, export as csv and you're done.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

FYI - I had to contact Strava support regarding a problem uploading and they said that .CSV files are not supported.

While their website certainly does not list them, obviously at least "this" particular .CSV file is recognized and does work (unless you have to do a Date / Time repair and only the start time is actually changed - Travis knows about this).

On a slightly different tack ... I just got a Garmin so I don't have to use the Android for GPS. All seems to be working well and in general I'm liking it quite a bit (waiting for my K-Edge mount though).

One thing that I've noticed is that when taking the Garmin file (which would seem to have everything in it) and importing that into my TrainingPeaks WKO+ software I get no hill slope data. There is altitude data, but no hill slope.

There is, of course, also no wind data.

So, while I thought that getting a Garmin would eliminate the need for doing any file / data merges, I'm not sure that I will decide to lose the additional data.

Any thoughts / comments regarding the WKO+ issue and iBike / Garmin file merger would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The Garmin does not measure slope. It estimates it based on changes in elevation. So for purposes of analyzing slope data it is useless. Also, since the Garmin tends to drop some data points the power data is flawed for analysis in WKO.

That's why I use ISAAC to merge the Garmin TCX into the ride file. Then export as CSV and upload to Strava. You'll have spot on data. Basically you're adding the GPS LAT/LON data along with the timestamp so that the ride maps out and you can account for the difference between total ride time and active time.

For importing to WKO I don't merge the TCX data, I rely on the csv file as exported by ISAAC and leave it at that.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Thanks for the reply and clarification Fernando!!

So now, as opposed to when I got the GPS data from the Android phone, every time that I go to merge a Garmin .TCX file into the Issac software it asks me to "Please select the data source for the direct force power meter".

I am selecting "Other" and Typing in "Garmin 500"; then clicking "Read and Sync"
Then I click Accept

Now one question is do I leave the DFPM box checked or not? I have been unchecking.

Also, what about the Elevation from the Garmin?

I tried this and while the elevation (starting) was set correctly (I don't go into the iBike and reset that very often) the Garmin data seemed to "smooth" things out quite a bit.

Thanks in advance!!

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I keep power unchecked since I have good power data. I also select "Other" but don't name it anything since it doesn't affect anything. I don't use Garmin elevation since the iBike elevation is more accurate and now with the Newton more consistent from ride to ride.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Fernando,

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback and the confirmation of my thoughts on the matter!!

Robert