Gen III Aero - tilt and battery issues

alback

Gen III Aero - tilt and battery issues

Post by alback »

I used the Gen 3 on my trainer all winter - worked fine. Now after setting trainer mode off, and using outdoors it is behaving very strange. I thought it could be a battery issue (although the battery was only a couple of weeks old), so I put fresh batteries in everything and tried again. Same strange outcome.

1. Tilt initially read fine then goes crazy such that it is unable to calculate watts, then at the end read fine again.
2. Battery read 3.1 when I put it in (Eveready), yet a low battery reading came on after about 50 minutes. Battery read 2.82 when I finished the ride (now reads 2.89).
3. The ride was split into 2 files (on its own), yet the latter ride read as full Km in the header while reading 27km when downloading, the second file was the missing 6 km.

I tried resetting the tilt - the first day starting, and underway - still went crazy. I reset the tilt the start of the second day. Same result

I used the Gen II Aero the next day, no problems.

Is there something wrong with this Gen III?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Gen III Aero - tilt and battery issues

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file.
John Hamann
alback

Post by alback »

Here are the 3 files, for 2 rides. They were return loops, not the same course. These are my only 2 rides with the Gen III outdoors, dry conditions.

thanks,
AR
Attachments
04_12_2011_1914_34_km_Road - Doran Bidwell - 2nd Ski org.csv
split file
(45.42 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
04_12_2011_1804_28_km_Road - Doran Bidwell - 2nd Ski org.csv
4 fresh batteries
(174.24 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
04_09_2011_1501_33_km_Road - Doran Bidwell - 2nd Ski org.csv
Batteries from trainer use
(213.85 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It looks like your accelerometer is misbehaving. You have an older unit from 2008 but you can email us for repair information.

This problem has nothing to do with your batteries.
John Hamann
alback

Post by alback »

I didn't believe the batteries were defective either, as they gave a reading of 2.83v following the ride, and 2.89 after they warmed up> Plus the Gen III recovered briefly after going strange for half the ride. The unfortunate part is I didn't start to use Gen III until December 2010, it has about 30 hrs use indoors and barely 3 hrs outdoors total.

Where should I email to arrange shipping this back?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

atimmer@velocomp.com

If you purchased your unit less than one year ago, from an authorized dealer, it is covered under warranty.
John Hamann
alback

Post by alback »

No this was purchased directly from you, just didn't see the need to use it until I read the trainer function was added. How much will this cost to repair? Frankly if it is too expensive, I will just keep it for trainer use. I have yet to see any gains over my Aero Gen II. I guess mine has always been defective - my fault for not trying it out within the 1 year period.