iBike Aero Total Odometer not incrementing

rstrom

iBike Aero Total Odometer not incrementing

Post by rstrom »

Since November 16th I have noticed that my iBike Aero has not incremented the total odometer mileage did not properly increment at least 12 times that I have documented.

It has happened after battery changes, after being reset to the proper mileage directly on the unit, reset to the proper mileage via the iBike software, after changing to trainer mode and back (both manually and via the software), after accidentally leaving in trainer mode. I cannot seem to find a common factor, but it's happening far more often than not.

I have two questions regarding this:

1. Has anyone else noticed this?
2. Does iBike know about this issue and is there a new firmware update that will fix the issue?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: iBike Aero Total Odometer not incrementing

Post by Velocomp »

This is not a known issue to us.

I would do a hard reset of your iBike (remove battery, insert backwards, then reinsert). Please let us know if this fixes things.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

I had done one previously, but will do one again.

Going to get it and do it right now. We'll see what happens during this weekends rides.

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Well, I think that I've gotten a little bit closer to figuring this out. I first observed it yesterday (Thursday 12/23) but I wasn't 100% sure and then I saw it happen right before my eyes today.

- Got home from my afternoon ride and saw the mileage on the iBike showing 2943.
- Connected it to the USB docking cradle
- Placed the unit display so that it showed the total mileage
- Clicked on the connect on the device menu (I am in the habit of doing this since the unit has had some small issues connecting from time to time)
- Then clicked on the device menu and selected Download Ride Data
- Once I selected this the download started and the mileage REVERTED to the total odometer mileage (2905) that the unit had at the beginning of the ride!!

I'll need to play around with it a bit more but this is either exactly what happens or very, very close.

So, it appears to be the iBike software that is resetting the unit somewhere during the download process.

Happy Holidays!!

HTH,

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I followed your description and note that my odometer is incrementing with each ride. I don't see anything in the iBike software that could alter your odometer other than actually sending a new number to the iBike.

In the iBike software if you click Device > Set Odometer > Get from iBike what does it read? What happens if you force it to some number and then track it for a few rides?
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

I know that the mileage on the iBike display shows the incremented mileage, I am almost 100% sure that the mileage from within the iBike software shows the same but I will test after another ride. If I update the mileage with the software I can see it change on the iBike display and I can then pull the changed mileage from the iBike using the software.

One note on the last ride was that the iBike was still set to a Trainer ride mode when I went out for a regular ride (and I think that the unit recognizes (somehow) that it is a regular ride.

I don't know that this has anything to do with it as I believe that I have seen the lack of mileage incrementing whether or not the unit has been set to the Trainer mode or not.

The iBike is currently set to regular riding mode and I will be going for a ride within the hour. I'll see what happens when I get back. Hopefully I'll have more information at that time.

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

OK ... here's what I found after my ride earlier today ....

The mileage displayed on the iBike screen was 3033 after completing the ride

Here are the steps that I performed

- Docked iBike
- Selected Device / Set Odometer in iBike program
- Retrieved the mileage from the iBike - it was the same as displayed on the iBike screen
- Selected Device / Download Ride Data from the menu in iBike program (this may be important as it may behave differently than if you click on the download ride button)
- Now the Download Ride Screen comes up (one thing to note here is that the download ride did not display the 35 mile ride in the drop down - it said "No Data" - I had to select the drop down and choose the 35 mile ride)
- As the screen comes up the mileage on the iBike unit reverts back to 3000 miles (the previous mileage was 2998 - reset to this via the iBike software after the last ride did not increment)
- Used the pull down menu to select the 35 mile ride
- Checked the Save box
- Clicked on "Download Ride"
- Set mileage to 3033 (what the mileage should be after this ride) using the "Device Set Odometer"
- I tried performing the 'Device / Connect"; then "Device / Download" again to see if the program would reset the mileage back again - it did not
- I then Erased the ride data using the program

So, this is exactly what I have been able to figure out and I have seen this three times in a row now.

I have not yet tried using the Download Ride button to see if this makes any difference. I will do this after the next ride.

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Here's more information on what I've found / experienced in the past two days.

Went to go for a ride yesterday (Tuesday 12/28) and the iBike unit read BAD BATT so I changed the battery. I took this opportunity to reset the unit by inserting the battery upside down for a few seconds then inserting it right side up. I then reset the date / time using the iBike software and went for my ride.

I followed the exact same steps as previously described and did NOT have any issues with the mileage reverting back to the previous numbers on this ride.

- Docked iBike
- Selected Device / Connect
- Selected Device / Download Ride Data from the menu in iBike program (this may be important as it may behave differently than if you click on the download ride button)
- Now the Download Ride Screen comes up
- Checked the Save box
- Erased unit data using the iBike software

I went for another ride today (Wednesday 12/29) and came home and performed these steps

- Docked iBike
- Checked the mileage on the iBike display (3105) and left the display set to this view so that I could watch it
- Selected Device / Connect
- Now the Download Ride Screen comes up
- As the Download Ride screen comes up the mileage on the iBike unit reverts back to 3078 miles (this was the previous ending mileage after the last ride)
- Checked the Save box
- Set mileage to 3105 (what the mileage should be after this ride) using the "Device Set Odometer"
- Erased unit data using the iBike software

So at this time I think that I have established a pretty clear and reproducible (at least for me) set of steps to get the unit to revert back to a previos mileage state.

The next few times I will try using the "Download Ride" button to see if this makes any difference.

Anyone from iBike out there? Has anyone tried to reproduce these steps? Any luck?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We're here, reading, following your experiments with great interest... :D

Travis, our software guru, says this:
I checked the iBike software code and I don't see any way that the SW is setting the odometer value.

There is another possibility, though. It looks like there is a separate odometer reading per profile. If you go into the unit setup menu, and select the other profile, you will see the odometer value change when you exit setup. For example, if the user somehow gets into a situation where he put 1000 miles for the odometer reading into both profiles (either by setting with the SW or setup), then does a 50 mile ride with profile #2, when he gets back he would see 1050 for the odometer reading. If the unit then somehow reverts to the profile #1 setting after downloading data then he would see the confusing 1000 miles. If this is the explanation, then it has to be something in the FW, because the SW has no way of setting which profile is active.
So, the thing to check is this:

1) do you have more than one bike profile?

2) If so, are there different odometer readings for each profile?

3) If so, is the "other profile" odometer reading incrementing properly?

See, we really are trying to figure this out with you...
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Yes, there is a second profile stored in the unit but it's never used and I haven't switched profiles in months - probably 5 - 6 months.

Profile #1 -

3105 miles
291:34 Hours/min

Profile #2 -

5.6 miles
00:19 Hours/min

Really doesn't look like there can be much confusion between these two.

I'm telling you - I see the mileage change on the iBike display right as I'm downloading the data using the program. I've watched it happen right before my eyes at least three times now. I see 3105 on the screen on second and then 3078 the next. The hours and minutes incrementing does not seem to be an issue - not that I've noticed, but I haven't been keeping close track of that.

FYI the firmware says REL 4_24

So what now Velocomp guru's?

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Well ... here's the daily update ...

Braved temperatures in the low to upper 40's with steady 10mph winds gusting to 20-25+mph to get out and ride today (trying to beat even colder weather).

Anyway ...

Here's what transpired:

- Put iBike unit outside on side garage door stoop to get acclimated to the temperature
- Put iBike on bicycle
- Turned unit on in garage with door closed to get good wind calibration
- Went out on ride
- Mileage incrementing properly while riding
- Previous mileage / starting mileage was 3105
- Pull into driveway
- Remove iBike from mount / reciever
- Ending mileage displayed was 3142
- All looks good at this point
- Dock iBike
- Set iBIke display to Total Odometer
- Launch iBike Software
- Device / Connect from the menu
- Device / Set Odometer from the menu
- Retrieved the mileage from the iBike unit to confirm it says the same as is displayed (it is - it actually displayed 3141.9)
- Clicked on the Download Ride button (as opposed to the "Device / Download Ride" menu selection)
- Mileage reverted back to previous mileage of 3105 as the Download Ride window of the software is being displayed

So, while a test of one is not totally scientific, it appears that it doesn't matter whether or not you use the Device / Download Ride menu or the Download Ride button. Both seem to give the same results.

FYI - Software version is 5.0.4

What's next? I don't know what else to test or any different variables to play with.

I think the ball is in your court now Velocomp. I'm totally willing to keep trying to figure this out, but I think I need some suggestions / directions from you at this point as I am out of ideas (for now anyway).

Off to go soak in a tub and thaw out ....

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We share your mystification.

Do you do a Trip Reset at the end of each ride, prior to downloading your ride? Do you download your ride immediately after ending each ride? This isn't indicated in your procedure...

Please let us know. We will try to duplicate this condition here. We can ride without worry of snow... :D
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

No, I virtually never do a trip reset after any rides. I disconnect the unit and then go to download.

Yes, I usually download the ride immediately. Not always, but usually. I can tell you that today's was downloaded immediately. I cannot swear 100% that yesterday's was but I am almost certain, same for this past Tuesday's ride. I know that there are other times when I have waited for a hours or more, but this does not seem to matter.

I will be able to ride without worrying about snow either, but it will be really, really cold tomorrow - freeze warning tonight - it's 35 right now (8:45pm) and it's supposed to get down to 25 for the low tonight and I'm in the desert!! Phoenix, AZ area - it does get COLD here from time to time.

I won't be out the door first thing, but I will probably be out there ... bundled up well though :? ;)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I replicated this sequence on my iBike.

The issue is that a Trip Reset is not being done at the end of the ride. The Trip Reset function closes out the existing ride file, captures all of the ride data in final form, and updates the iBike's non-volatile memory. Because the Trip Reset isn't being done at the end of the ride, the odometer data isn't being recorded in final form in the iBike memory.

When the iBike is asleep for 4 hours or more, a Trip Reset is done automatically. However, in this situation, the 4 hour time hasn't passed and the iBike doesn't know if the ride is truly over, or if it's just a pause in the ride.

Please do a Trip Reset at the end of your ride, prior to downloading, and all will be well.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Well I'm glad to know that you were able to replicate and I'll be happy to do the trip reset at the end of a ride, but I'm pretty sure that this has not been the case all along since I virtually never do a trip reset.

I just did some quick calculations based on the mileage recorded in my WKO software and came up with 3533 miles (I'm estimating the August mileage because I got this new bike about mid August) since getting the new bike. I also didn't reset the iBike to zero until after about 170 miles with the new bike. So if I subtract the 170 miles from the 3533 I come up with approximately 3363 miles and I had 3142 miles showing on the iBike unit yesterday. Pretty darn close. I'm pretty sure that a large portion of my rides since mid August were uploaded to the iBike software within the 4 hour period that you're talking about. If this condition has always existed then my accumulated total mileage would be much more off than this.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Robert
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I was just able to duplicate and finally understand this issue, I think.

You will get a revert to the previous mileage IF:
1) You download your ride prior to the 4 hour reset window
AND
2) You erase your data prior to the 4 hour reset window without resetting the ride.

Once you reset a ride, the ride length is added to the odometer -or - once the 4 hour window elapses, the ride length is added to the odometer.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The issue is that the ride file isn't being closed out prior to downloading the file.

After 4 hours the iBike does a Trip Reset automatically and all is well. If the ride file is downloaded prior to a Trip Reset the odometer update isn't recorded in the iBike.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

OK ... here's the update

I went out on a ride and did a trip reset after these last posts and that seemed to work. I thought all was well but then ...

Next ride - On New Years day I was out for a ride and the battery ended up being too weak to record the data anymore (I think it said Speed not found and then just read zeros the remainder of the ride - about another 45 minutes. BTW - it was, and has been cold, so short battery life).

I thought I remembered that the iBike did it's own trip reset in some conditions when the battery was dying but when I got home and into my driveway I went ahead and did a trip reset anyway (pushed down the center button until TRIP RESET flashed and then pushed the button again). When I went to upload the data I saw two entries that said "No Data" and one with the abbreviated 36 mile ride. I am imagining that the two "No Data" entries are some trip resets? Anyway, the mileage reverted back to the previous rides ending mileage again.

Next ride - Then I went for another ride yesterday, came home and did a trip reset when I got into the driveway, came up and downloaded the data and the mileage reverted to the previous rides ending mileage again.

I'm not sure what's going on here but the trip reset does not appear to be working.

Comments / Thoughts / Suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When the iBike battery is low, one of the first things that "goes" is the ability to record data into memory. That's why the "low batt" indicator works.

We are looking at an FW change that will cause an automatic Trip Reset if the user doesn't perform one manually at the end of a ride.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

When the iBike battery is low, one of the first things that "goes" is the ability to record data into memory. That's why the "low batt" indicator works
Does this translate into "No matter what you do no trip reset will be performed"?
We are looking at an FW change that will cause an automatic Trip Reset if the user doesn't perform one manually at the end of a ride.
That sounds good but "what defines the end of a ride"?

That also doesn't answer why on my last ride (yesterday) I rode for 2:51, came home, did a trip reset in my driveway, and then downloaded the trip data and the mileage still reverted back to the previous ending mileage. You told me if I did a trip reset that this wouldn't happen but it is still happening. If that is the case then the trip reset isn't working to prevent this issue and it doesn't make sense that the FW change that you're proposing would fix the problem.

Am I missing / not understanding something here?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If your battery is low when the Trip Reset command is performed, as it might be after a 3 hour ride in the cold, the command might not "take". It takes a fair amount of energy to push things into non-volatile memory.

Connect your iBike to your computer and USB. Before downloading, do a trip reset. The voltage from the USB adapter will be high enough to do the job, then all should be well.

The iBike requires sufficient electricity to operate. Any FW change that completes the Trip Reset command will happen if--and only if--there is sufficient energy to implement the command.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Thanks for that clarification on the Low Battery and Trip Reset behavior. That takes care of that one and it makes sense.

I am not sure that you are separating the two rides here since you seem to be totally focused on the Low Battery issue.

I just want to be sure and clarify that the second ride where I did do a trip reset in the driveway was NOT at a point when the iBike Aero had a low battery, this was on a ride the following day after I had replaced the iBike battery; the heart rate strap battery, and the iBike receiver battery (everything except for the TREK Duotrap since it was only purchased in August and the others are significantly older).

So, the second case of performing the Trip Reset when entering the driveway at the end of the ride was done with a unit that had brand new batteries (three hours) and the behavior when downloading was the same as initially reported - the mileage reverted back to the previous ending ride mileage. With fresh batteries!!

If the entire solution is to perform the Trip Reset and I did this AND the batteries are fresh then this should not have happened.

?? Why ??

:? Please help me to understand this because it's not making sense to me at all!! :?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If it is cold where you are riding (50F or below), then new battery voltage can drop to low levels even after riding for a few hours.

As an insurance policy, do your Trip Reset at the computer, with the USB adapter connected, prior to downloading the ride.

We're looking at this issue now and assessing if there is a different way to make sure the odometer increments reliably.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

If it is cold where you are riding (50F or below)
It has certainly been around 50 or lower for many of my recent rides. The last 3 hour ride with the new batteries was between the mid 40's and the lower 60's, with most of it hovering in the mid to upper 50's.
As an insurance policy, do your Trip Reset at the computer, with the USB adapter connected, prior to downloading the ride.
I will start doing this.
We're looking at this issue now and assessing if there is a different way to make sure the odometer increments reliably.
Excellent :)

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Thanks to this thread we've found an obscure bug that is causing this problem. The next release of the iBike SW will eliminate the odometer problem, whether or not the Trip Reset function is performed.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Well, well, well ... great news!

Persistence pays off :shock: :D
an obscure bug that is causing this problem
I am in Information Security. I got into IT after spending 16 years in a bike shop (12 as a manager/part owner). I bought a point of sale system for the store (5 other store owners bought the same POS system because of the research that I had done), found bugs (lots of reproducible bugs), was asked to become a beta tester, agreed to that, became their best beta tester by far, ended up going to work for the company and the rest is history.

Thanks for:
- Working with me on this
- Following through on this
- Admitting that there is indeed a bug

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Oh .. BTW - I rode today and did the trip reset while the iBike was docked and the odometer behaved well.

Looking forward to the new software release (I told you that it - the odometer - didn't always behave like this :lol: ).

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

iBike software 5.0.5 will be released today. Among other things, this update fixes this bug.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Well I upgraded and rode the first ride since doing so and all appears to have worked as expected. I did NOT do a trip reset and the mileage did stay properly incremented as I would expect it to.

More riding and validation to come this weekend.

Thanks for what appears to be the fix!!

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

:D
John Hamann