Whacked out iAero mileage and speed

rstrom

Whacked out iAero mileage and speed

Post by rstrom »

On Sunday I went out on a three hour ride and the iAero told me that I covered 138.9 miles in 2 hours and 57 minutes @ an average speed of 47.1mph and a max speed of 80.7 and only used 1335 calories and 188.83 TSS.

I ask you, what am I doing in my current job with these awesome numbers? I am in awe of myself ... this is a whopping new PR!

This isn't the first time that I've seen this happen, it's happened at least 4 - 5 times in the past and I've seen that it's happened to a few other riders based on some posts that I've been able to find.

What I didn't find was any kind of definite response that outlined under what circumstances this happens. I did see one that said it had to do with the cadence magnet remaining next to the cadence sensor while stopped. This was definitely not the case since when I stopped the bike was propped up using the pedal on a curb. The pedal being near the bottom of the pedal stroke makes this nearly impossible.

VeloComp folks, please tell us what causes this reaction and what can be done to fix / avoid it.

BTW - the iBike software has always fixed most things regarding this issue, but not all.

Items fixed

- The Ride file contents (distance, calories, and even the speed) seem to get fixed upon download

Items not fixed

- The name of the iBike file - iBike_11_07_2010_0758_139_Miles, when it should be - iBike_11_07_2010_0758_53_Miles
- The accumulated mileage in the iAero itself is incorrect and needs to be recalculated and then uploaded to the unit (I do this because I keep track of when I perform certain maintenance on my bike - chain lubes, cleaning, new tires, tire rotation, chain replacement, etc.).

I'd really like to not have to deal with this anymore ... please help ....

??? VeloComp ???

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Whacked out iAero mileage and speed

Post by Velocomp »

Please post the ride file. It should have the clues needed.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Here is the file - I did make some changes to the power in lines 6426 - 6431 to fix what I think was zero power readings in those locations. Hopefully you can see and explain what happened.

Thanks,

Robert
Attachments
iBike_11_07_2010_0758_53_Miles.csv
Original file name iBike_11_07_2010_0758_139_Miles
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If possible please post the unedited file. Perhaps you can download it again from your iBike
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Also, In Edit/Preferences/Analysis, uncheck the box that says "Auto Fine Tune"
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Sorry, no can do - I erase the ride data in the iBike after every ride.

Sounds like this may have to wait until the next time this happens?
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

The only thing that was edited were the 4 lines that I already mentioned and that was only the power data.

Any other edits made were made by the IBike software itself when the ride was downloaded - it seems to make all corrections during the download - the resulting file / display in the iBike software never has the bloated mileage listed.
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Try this one - I did a "Return to Original Download"

Looking at the original file, there were definitely more things that were changed than I remembered (and in a different way too).

HTH,

Robert
Attachments
iBike_11_07_2010_0758_53_Miles_return_to_original.csv
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 324 times
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

It looks like there was a lot of starts and stops in this ride, maybe riding down streets with stop signs or lights. Something nearby could have given off interference that cause the big speed blip. I'm not sure what triggers it exactly though.

It looks like it happened when you started from a stop as your cadence kind of spiked high also. The slope line stays the same so we can rule that out. It may have just been when you started off your magnet triple triggered your speed and cadence sensors or something like that.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories