0 Power reading for first 5 minutes of ride then it started

adrescher

0 Power reading for first 5 minutes of ride then it started

Post by adrescher »

Hi - I'm new to the iBike, this is my 2nd ride with it calibrated. I had to do the calibrations several times due to stupidity, but it seems to be pretty good now. However, on my ride today, it all set up well. Wind test good, found HR, SPCD sensor (I use the garmin that does both on one device), and Power out, I send it to my garmin right now because I have the iSport. However, once I started riding I had no power reading. I had speed, cadence, HR, time, tilt, etc, but power was 0. I stopped 4 times to redo wind test, took device out of mount and remounted, and still nothing. So I just started riding, then all of the sudden, 4 minutes and 53 seconds into the ride, the power started showing up. My garmin shows the same thing in the download. Zero power for that amount of time, then it kicks up to 200 or whatever it was and worked fine for the next hour.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy
coachboyd

Re: 0 Power reading for first 5 minutes of ride then it started

Post by coachboyd »

All you have to do is a tilt calibration at the start of your ride. I usually do one of these about every couple of weeks or so. The tilt correction that is built into the Gen 3 units takes 5 minutes to kick in so that explains why you were seeing 0 watts and then all of a sudden having it show up.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
adrescher

Post by adrescher »

Thanks for the response Boyd -

Does that mean that my watts for the day were off? I don't really understand what you mean by tilt correction takes 5 minutes to kick in?

I just calibrated the iBike 2 days ago (did a cal ride without coast downs). Why would i have to recalibrate the tilt again so soon? I checked the tilt in my garage as I had read you do before I put the bike on the car and drove to my ride.

I was trying to do a Functional Power Test today, should I expect those numbers from the ride to be accurate or do I need to do the test again?

Thanks,

Andy
klaus

Post by klaus »

My wife had a similar issue suddenly the first 5 minutes of the rides had very strange power reading. Sure enough after the tilt callibration the power readings are ok again for the whole ride.

What we have found is that if the calibration is of the ibike will take about 5 minutes to self correct the tilt and the numbers after that are pretty good. But obviously the first five minutes are way of and should not really be counted.

Klaus