DFPM - can you disable in a profile ?

Morocco Mole

DFPM - can you disable in a profile ?

Post by Morocco Mole »

Turned up at the local Crit on the weekend, race wheels only so no DFPM, just the iBike Aero + Speed,Cadence and HR. Rode about 1 hour to get to the race and warm up, just before the start did a Wind Cal and then rolled to the line. About 3 laps in I glanced at the iBike and noticed I was not getting any power readings, not sure why, but guessed the cadence sensor had gone to sleep while I was registering, pinning my number etc. I was able to get into setup and perform a scan which detected all my devices, but also someone else's DFPM. Not a worry, I was only collecting data to review later and track TSS so I could just ignore the DFPM data.

Downloaded file when I got home and confirmed that I had all the iBike Data, there was only about 10 minutes worth of DFPM data anyway (you can't actually tell on the iBike if you are receiving DFPM signal or not). Saved the file and import\dropped into WKO+, TSS for the whole ride was very low. Looked at the graph and there was power data only for the 10 minutes where the DPFM was active. To fix I deleted the workout, opened the saved iBike File in excel and deleted the Column "DFPM power". Re imported into WKO+ and all is good, I now have power data for the whole ride. So thinking about this I have the following questions:

- is there a way of disabling DPFM within a profile now? Older versions of firmware did this as you actually had to enable DPFM, but now the Scan process is a little to smart. I would like to disable DPFM for my race wheel setup.
- is deleting the "DPFM Power" Column the best way to resolve my problem above, or is there some other way of saving without DFPM data, or making the iBike power data the highest priority when importing into WKO+ ? If not, that would be an easy feature to add within the iBike software, eg a checkbox to "NOT" save DFPM data.
- it's been mentioned before, but having a small symbol on the iBike screen when you are paired to a DFPM would be nice, something similar to the small circle on the Powertap head unit would suffice.

Cheers
coachboyd

Re: DFPM - can you disable in a profile ?

Post by coachboyd »

I have been playing around with a Garmin 700 and Garmin 500 recently. And after talking with a lot of people who have them, you have no idea how many times they have accidentally paired to somebody else's power meter during a race because of their scan process.

Our scan and pairing really works, and it's easy. When you have the sensors paired, you don't have to worry about it. If one of your sensors turned off, you can always do a trip reset and that should start the rescan for only the paired sensors. When it doesn't find the DFPM (in this case), it will turn that off.

It looks like deleting that column worked, so you can continue to do that. I remember before WKO would read our DFPM column, I would just copy and paste the entire power column over to the DFPM column. That seemed to work as well.

That last one is a good idea. . .There may be something we can do with that. I'll bring it up and see if there's a spot on the screen where we can activate a little symbol (it'll have to be something that is already there) that lets you know you are reading DFPM power.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Regarding the DFPM active symbol, I recall last time I used "User Programmed Intervals" eg the down-loadable Interval Sets, I noticed a small symbol on the screen and thought it would be prefect for this. Has been a while so I can't quite recall what the symbol was for, middle section I think.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We'll see what we can do :-)
John Hamann
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

I would love to be able to disable DFPM in a profile. I don't even use DFPM but get the annoying Pin FAIL readings twice on every ride.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Actually, it's simple:

1) With your DFPM off do a Scan. Your iBike won't detect a DFPM and will stop looking for one from that poit on.

2) The next time you download a ride you'll get a message saying that your Wireless IDs have changed (they have, your DFPM is no longer there). Click Yes to accept.

Now, when you ride the Pin Fail message won't appear.
John Hamann
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

Thanks, precisely what I needed!
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

John -

So you could save this profile and an almost identical one that did have a DFPM associated with the iBike? Minor change to some stored parameter so they are different as the software does not allow identical values.

Then all you have to do is switch profiles for the circumstances at hand?

Tom
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Correct. You can't have two different profiles with identical values of aero and fric, so change one of the two numbers slightly. As an example, if the fric value in your first profile is 9.243, for the non-DFPM profile set fric to 9.242. Make sure to give your profiles different names so you'll be able to remember which is which!
John Hamann
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Hi Guys

Just noticed in the last firmware there is now a small symbol on the display that indicates you are paired to a DFPM like I was suggesting above. Good things come to those who wait, much appreciated

Cheers
M.Mole