NP, IF and TSS in iBike Software?

gregh3285

NP, IF and TSS in iBike Software?

Post by gregh3285 »

In Gen III firmware 3.08, we now have access to NP, IF and TSS on our iPro or iAero. If we use TrainingPeaks, we can access it on your PC (because Training Peaks independently calculates this information). I don't use TrainingPeaks. Is it possible to see my NP, IF and TSS values within the iBike software on my computer once I've downloaded a ride? Am I missing something somewhere within the iBike software? Is the only option (if I don't have TrainingPeaks) copying down this info before I hit Trip Reset and manually logging it?
turbomentor

Re: NP, IF and TSS in iBike Software?

Post by turbomentor »

"In Gen III firmware 3.08, we now have access to NP, IF and TSS on our iPro or iAero. If we use TrainingPeaks, we can access it on your PC (because Training Peaks independently calculates this information). I don't use TrainingPeaks. Is it possible to see my NP, IF and TSS values within the iBike software on my computer once I've downloaded a ride? Am I missing something somewhere within the iBike software? Is the only option (if I don't have TrainingPeaks) copying down this info before I hit Trip Reset and manually logging it?"

Do you use WKO+ software? WKO+ also calculates NP TSS and IF. I've been using WKO+ now for two seasons and I can't say enough about how it really completes the experience of riding/training with power.

If not, as of now, I don't believe that the IB3 software displays NP IF or TSS info. These features were only just recently incorporated into the firmware. We'll see how long it takes for them to change the IB3 SW to add this feature.
wellmt

Post by wellmt »

If you use SportTracks to record your ride data, there is a plugin which will calculate this stuff too and allow you to import data from the iBike or Powertap.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

TSS, IF and NP are very useful in determining the intensity and stress of the workout. It's based on the numbers not on your perception of the workout. It's really nice to be able and glance at the IF and TSS numbers to know if you're on target for a long slow distance workout.

I use SportTracks along with the Training Planner plugin to track my TSS, IF and NP results. Just like WKO, ST can produce a PMC chart that shows the results of all that TSS accumulation. The attached graph is my iBike data imported directly into ST. This is just the iBike data not any kind of Garmin data.
pmc.png
pmc.png (259.99 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
You can also see the details for a given ride. Here's a screenshot of last Monday's effort. I warmed up, did a 20 minute fitness test which I selected to highlight and then met a couple of friends for a spirited ride up the coast and back. It was a 55 mile ride in total.
powerinfo.png
powerinfo.png (400.45 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
Fernando
wellmt

Post by wellmt »

That's the plugin - and very good it is to :D

You'll have to make sure you export your data using English and not Metric, i.e. using Miles and not km from the iBike software into the plugin. Ithink it's a bug. Fortunately the iBike software makes it easy to do.
gregh3285

Post by gregh3285 »

I don't use any of those packages. The ONLY two Windows apps I use in my personal life are Turbo Tax and iBike. Other than that, I stick with Linux. I wrote a Python app that I wrote that parses the data and generates similar information (as web pages with graphs). I added a module based upon the algorithm to calculate NP. I'm sure I can add IF and TSS as well. NP is interesting. I've always wondered why I feel so trashed after group rides even though the reported average power isn't much different than a solo training ride. Power to the fourth power is an amazing thing. :-) Good comments! Thanks everyone.