moving Gen I and Gen II iBike profiles to Gen III

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

moving Gen I and Gen II iBike profiles to Gen III

Post by Velocomp »

We've had a bunch of questions about moving profiles to the Gen III units.

If you have a Gen II iBike the process is very simple: transfer your profile to your new Gen III, then just do a Calibration Ride (4 miles total, out-and-back). That's all you'll need to do!

If you have a Gen I iBike transfer your profile (which has weight and wireless ID information), then do a set of coast downs AND a calibration ride. This will give you maximum accuracy.
John Hamann
MultiRider

Re: moving Gen I and Gen II iBike profiles to Gen III

Post by MultiRider »

Excellent question. I'm interested in the answers, too. < bump >
Jim Mason
C'dale SuperSix, Specialized Transition, Ibis Mojo, Orbea cx
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

I had time to think about this question on my ride today. I had time to think about lots of things on my ride today.

If you have a profile that you use that you are really happy with, here's what you can do. Make a note of your cda and crr for that profile. Go out and do a calibration ride (do one coastdown before you do it). Now, when you get back to your computer you will have new wind scaling and riding tilt numbers. Play around with the aero and friction numbers until the cda and crr match the profile you had with Gen2.

Now you will have the current model give you the same values, with correct wind scaling and riding tilt numbers.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

You don't have to delete coastdowns, you can just change the numbers afterwards in edit profiles.
Changing the aero number will change the cda number. cda is the aero divided by the wind scaling.
So, if you have an aero of .400 and a wind scaling of 1.0, your cda is .400
If your wind scaling is .9, then your cda would be .360

Something I have been doing lately (for testing purposes), is to do a coastdown at the start of my rides. I make sure the tilt and wind offset are good. This will give me new aero and friction numbers, combined with the stored wind scaling and riding tilt will give me cda and crr. I used this when I was wearing different clothing (like a jacket when it was colder). The results were actually really good compared to my Cinqo.
Boyd Johnson
tyhaar

Post by tyhaar »

Velocomp wrote:We've had a bunch of questions about moving profiles to the Gen III units.

If you have a Gen II iBike the process is very simple: transfer your profile to your new Gen III, then just do a Calibration Ride (4 miles total, out-and-back). That's all you'll need to do!
I finally had a chance to do my Calibration ride for my Gen III unit. Is been very windy since I got mine some 3 weeks ago with cold fronts coming through. Calm wind conditions today for once.

Is this automatically attached to the profile you loaded from the Gen II profile to your Gen III. I keep dates that are stamped with the profiles with a which bike description also. I downloaded the file (4 mile out and back) but would not let me associate or save it as a profile for this bike. I had no coast downs as I had several good ones from back in May 2008 so it just showed the 4 mile out and back file. I did ride afterwards and downloaded the data and the box below in the analysis status just says profile attached. Is not labled as before and don't really know what profile is attached?

The aero and friction numbers from the ride I did after the 4 mile cal ride are different from the profile I loaded since I could not associate the 4 mile out and back calibration ride today.

Did I do this right?
Ty
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

What you could do is check the profile information for the ride you did after the 4 mile ride. Have that part of the ride open and then right click on the part that says "Profile attached" and look at the info. You can also go into "edit profiles" and then hit "extract" and the profile from that ride will show up where you can look at the info. If the cda and crr numbers don't match what you had before, change the aero and friction numbers until the cda and crr numbers match the profile from before. Just don't play with the riding tilt and wind scaling. Those numbers are unique to your unit.
Boyd Johnson
tyhaar

Post by tyhaar »

coachboyd wrote:What you could do is check the profile information for the ride you did after the 4 mile ride. Have that part of the ride open and then right click on the part that says "Profile attached" and look at the info. You can also go into "edit profiles" and then hit "extract" and the profile from that ride will show up where you can look at the info. If the cda and crr numbers don't match what you had before, change the aero and friction numbers until the cda and crr numbers match the profile from before. Just don't play with the riding tilt and wind scaling. Those numbers are unique to your unit.
Thanks I got it to work finally. The cda and crr numbers were the same but aero and friction numbers were a different. I'm guessing because I'm heavier and had more clothing on than back in May when the numbers were lower? I think later on I'm going to another set of coast downs again and 4 miler when I have some calmer winds again just to get it right with the Gen III unit and to ease my mind. But for now the numbers look good to me for the effort .
Ty