Auto tilt again

Zoltan

Auto tilt again

Post by Zoltan »

Sorry for my short memory, but I dont remember what I read about auto tilt. Is this process ALSO needed to make some correction for rough roads in order to increase the displayed power to give a better estimation or is it ONLY to calculate the tilt to get a proper slope even if the tilt is not properly calibrated manually??

What raised my question was my offroad experiences. When I rode on grass or loose surface it was evident that power was underestimated, since Crr set in iBike was too low vs the real one. But last time I rode on pretty rough unpaved road, which was hard enough, but bumpy. When I finished a stretch of 15 minutes I realized that the slope is too high. First I thought that my handlebar mount just had been shaken. But after 5-10 minutes of riding on smooth asphalt again the slope seemed to be correct again, so I overrode my bet saying that maybe it was just the outcome of the auto tilt. My model is shaky, but if it is true than power is underestimated on rough but hard-surfaced roads in the first 5 minutes, and overestimated in the first 5 minutes after returning to asphalt/concrete.

It would be great to remember what pieces of info I could collect about auto tilt before acquiring my unit, but I hope that somebody else could help me out.
racerfern

Re: Auto tilt again

Post by racerfern »

There's no doubt that you're taking the Gen3 beyond its intended "road" use. The sensors will have trouble on rough roads but the unit will average things out properly. So if you're drilling down to a specific section of rough road, don't. If you're accumulating TSS for an overall average then you're fine.

Of course on regular road surfaces you can drill deep all you want, if even if they're not smooth. The point is extremely rough roads can temporarily skew things.
Fernando