Rechargeable Mount in Cold Weather

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Rechargeable Mount in Cold Weather

Post by Velocomp »

We have tested the new mount by placing it in a refrigerator (37F). The mount powered the attached iBike. The iBike remained on continuously.

iBike battery voltage dropped to 262 (remember: the CR2032 isn't as efficient in cold weather) and then held there...for hour after hour, just as expected.

As soon as the iBike was removed from the refrigerator, the iBike battery voltage recovered.

Jay Todd, who did these experiments, insisted on placing himself inside the refrigerator so that he could watch the battery voltage constantly.

Jay is now being treated for frostbite at a local hospital. :D
John Hamann
cjonbike

Re: Rechargeable Mount in Cold Weather

Post by cjonbike »

John
Isn't 2.62v below the operating voltage of the iBike? When mine goes that low I can not see the screen, Is it still recording data? If not what good does it do to hold at that voltage, and how is it helping in cold weather? I know I am missing something, please help!

Chris
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

All is well. The iBike works down to about 2.5V. You'll be able to see your screen and also to get your ride data recorded reliably.
John Hamann
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

Sorry to keep bothering you all with questions but I got a couple more. So if it is cold outside the voltage drops to 2.62v, We can expect to have multiple ride files then as the iBike saves the ride after 30 minutes when the voltage drops below 2.65v, is this right?

Also If we set our iBike outside to acclimate when we start it it might be under the 2.65v limit, we will get a battery bad. Can we still take off and ride and the iBike will record and work?

Thanks again

Chris
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Everything will work just fine.

We may do a firmware update with a lower voltage threshold so that the files aren't split.

Remember: Jay's test was extremely severe!
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

FWIW, I have a homemade additional battery that I've been using for quite some time. I'm not in extremely cold weather so my winter is 35-37F but it warms up as soon as the sun pops up.

The displayed battery voltage on my iAero is always 2.75 to 2.85. I think all you really cold weather people will be just fine in all conditions. The new system should be fantastic.
Fernando