Initial pairing

pmt

Initial pairing

Post by pmt »

I have followed the directions to the letter twenty times over three sessions, yet I cannot get the first sensor (speed) to pair. I just get "WLS FAIL" each time. Is there any trick beyond that in the manual? I've checked the battery voltage. I get the click from the sensor. I just can't get it to pair.
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Initial pairing

Post by Site_Admin »

Call me directly or e-mail me and we'll trouble shoot. However, this is the procedure I take....
1) Go in to "Set Up."
2) Set "Wls Cfg" to "on"
3) Press the red button once, and set "Speed" to "find".
4) Set "Cadence" and "HR" to "None".
5) Get out of "Set Up".

Place the iBike aside.

6) Take the stem mount, the speed sensor, the cadence sensor, and the HR strap, FLIP the batteries, put them in backwards for 2 seconds, pull them out and put them in properly. Also, you might manually move the switches in the sensors to their opposite position and then back to the position that you want them in (cad/spd).

7) Make sure you have iBike v 1.16 in the firmware.

8) Place the iBike on to the wireless mount.
9) Press the red button quickly, maybe twice, until the "O" in the top row is flashing.
10) Start rubbing a magnet against the speed sensor. It should say "Spd Found" within 3-5 seconds.

Repeat the processes, making sure that you set "Cadence" and "HR" to "Find" separately, and then rubbing the magnet or tapping your thumbs on the straps.

If you get "Wls Fail" within 10 seconds of searching, then call me. If you still have problems, still call me and we'll figure it out in person or over the phone.
marshr

Post by marshr »

I, too, am having almost same problem. I thought i was an experienced sensor pairer, but trying to pair another bike and am able to get the speed paired but absolutely no luck with either cadence or HR. I have another bike and all sensors paired easily there. This mount took away for speed but finally got it but as other respondent no luck with cadence. i hear clicking of cadence but get the wail fail everytime. if i reset ibike to speed only ,it pairs speed, but if try to pair either cadence or HR get wire fail and it also does not say the speed was paired when looking for cadence. also i only have ibike set to find either cadence or HR, ie i have the other setting to none. Finally, i am confused about HR strap, if i have set settings of wireless devices to profile and then pair another bike with same HR and flip battery do i lose the initial HR ID for first profile. It seems like i do, or another way why would i reset HR strap for each profile, confused on that aspect. thanks
Rick
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Let me call you early in the week. Have your stuff with you and available (and preferably off the bike), including the stem mount and the sensors, and have a nickel ready.
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

I have a similar problem with my new wireless devices for bike #2. My wireless devices for bike #1 installed, configured, paired, etc. with no problems at all. In fact, I've had to do additional pairing for bike #1 since I got it in December because of my own bumbling, but re-pairing worked very simply and easily just as before. No troubleshooting required. The wireless system for bike #1 works just great, and I've very happy with it so far.

Now I've spent several hours trying to get this thing to work on bike #2 :cry: , meticulously doing and re-doing all the steps to the point where I think I could do this blind-folded with my teeth :D , and nothing works--no speed, no cadence, no HR. I've also tested all the batteries and cleaned all contacts (they never were dirty as far as I could tell but cleaned them anyway) and switched and re-switched the SPD and CAD switches inside the sensors. I've combed through this forum as well as the documentation, and the only clue I've found is on page 15 of the Wireless Mount Owner's Manual: if I get the WLS FAIL message in less than 10 seconds with iBike on mount and after pushing center button to initiate communication, then communications are not working properly. It fails in 8 seconds every time on bike #2. It takes 45 second under the same circumstances on bike #1.

Added note: since I need to do power testing tomorrow, I just re-paired everything on bike #1 in less than 10 minutes. No problems. Simple and easy.

What have you found that works in these other two cases for a second bike? I see no follow-up or workarounds yet other than to call tech support.
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Send me a phone number off-list, please, and we'll figure it out.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Can it be that since each bike has its own set of unique transmitter ids, you are using the setup for bike #1 with ITS transmitter ids to connect to bike #2 with a different set of transmitter ids?

Do you have two profiles that have the transmitter ids stored with the profile? Maybe one of the profiles is missing the ids?

Just trying to help. Good luck.
Fernando
RocketRider

Post by RocketRider »

I am struggling with initial pairing to my iAero, but only for the HR strap. Pairing of speed and cadence sensors went smoothly, but every time I try to pair the HR strap I get a WLS Fail message within 10 seconds. I've read and reread the instructions and watched the video a couple of times, all to no avail. One thing I've noticed on the Set Up screens that aren't mentioned in the instructions are two additional steps/choices following the Hrt Find screen, Pin (none or find) and PCal (idle). Do I have to do something with either of these two steps to pair the HR strap correctly?

THANKS.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Make sure your speed and cadence sensors haven't gone to sleep. Wave a magnet past them to keep them awake. If they go to sleep during the pairing process you will get the WLS FAIL message during the HR pairing though everything else is OK.
John Hamann
marshr

Post by marshr »

My sensors are paired and have the ID in profile. I understand the battery life will allow the sensors to last for awhile but at some point i will need to replace the sensor batteries. My question is since I have the IDs saved in profile, will i just be able to replace the old battery and be up and running or do i need to redo the repairing. Does a new battery change the ID number ? Would i need to put battery in backwards, then flip and redo pairing or would i just have to flip and spin the wheel and be ready to go. thanks , i just want to be prepared as i have had good luck recently so may have forget how to repair.
Rick
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

marshr wrote:My sensors are paired and have the ID in profile. I understand the battery life will allow the sensors to last for awhile but at some point i will need to replace the sensor batteries. My question is since I have the IDs saved in profile, will i just be able to replace the old battery and be up and running or do i need to redo the repairing. Does a new battery change the ID number ? Would i need to put battery in backwards, then flip and redo pairing or would i just have to flip and spin the wheel and be ready to go. thanks , i just want to be prepared as i have had good luck recently so may have forget how to repair.
Unfortunately, changing the batteries in the sensors will cause you to have to redo the pairing. The old ID is lost when you have to replace the battery.

You will need to go through the same pairing process again that you just went through, including the sensor battery flip.

Travis
Landim

Post by Landim »

Hello, I am also having trouble pairing my sensor, I always get a WLS FAIL in 8 seconds. I have flipped the batteries, and everytinhg else. What am I doing wrong?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Make sure there is a good battery in your wireless mount. If that doesn't fix things contact Aaron at atimmer@velocomp.com
John Hamann