Problems With My Ibike

Jomoalli

Problems With My Ibike

Post by Jomoalli »

I went for a ride with my ibike and for the first 23 minutes the unit appeared to be working properly, then power stopped registering. I stopped did the first of several wind offsets and I started to to get unreliable power data. It started spiking and then falling to 0. What is the cure for this ? I've attached my ride file below. I have the Ibike Pro with the Garmin G firmware. Please help!
Attachments
iBike_08_05_2008_1900_15_Miles.csv
(427.62 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
coachboyd

Re: Problems With My Ibike

Post by coachboyd »

Looks like your tilt was pretty far off.
Did you do a tilt calibration a couple times during the ride? If not, that might be something to have taken a look at.
Attachments
badtilt.JPG
badtilt.JPG (72.85 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Jomoalli

Post by Jomoalli »

Coachboyd, thank you for your response. I did an initial tilt calicration before setting out which for the first 23 minutes it appearsthe ibike was working normally. I didn't do a tilt calibration once on the road as I didn't think doing a tilt calibration on roads with a grade of 3-5% made any sense. The central question is why is the ibike losing power in the middle of the ride for no apparent reason? Is it vibration? Is it something else?
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

It's not vibration. It looks like your tilt is not staying set, and so the ibike at first thinks you are riding down a steep slope, so it won't report power. Then later, the slope turned upward and the ibike thinks you are riding up a big hill, and that's why you are getting reading of 1000+ watts. I am not sure what is causing this slope behavior, but it might be something to call the higher ups about.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Unless you have a defective unit, the tilt of your iBike must be changing a lot during the ride. The mount might be loose, or whatever it is mounted to is loose. Before I started using an iBike, I was in the habit of grabbing my bike computer and rotating it to see it better and I caught myself doing it with the iBike a couple of times. This wreaks havoc with the iBike calculations, so I broke the habit quick enough.

Travis