Erratic speeds

crr5

Erratic speeds

Post by crr5 »

I have a new i-Aero set up on my bike. Everything's working well except that I get intermittent, ridiculously high speed readings from 30-50 mph. It eventually goes back to normal if I keep riding or it stops if I stop, but kind of ruins the rhythm or the avg speed/watts. I've tried moving the sensor farther from the magnet and it's still doing the same thing. On the front wheel, so the magnets for cadence and speed aren't close to each other. No problems with the cadence or HR sensors. Thanks for the help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Erratic speeds

Post by Velocomp »

If you're getting crazy speeds most likely there is one of three problems:

1) your speed sensor is too close to the hub. Position your speed sensor (and magnet) close to the rim

2) your speed sensor is too close to the cadence sensor. Move the speed sensor and magnet as far away from the cadence sensor as possible

3) your wheel circumference is too high. It should be around 2096 (700 x 23C wheel).

Let us all know if one of these three suggestions fixes your problem.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

For what it's worth,
On my first ride with wireless, headed over to my most frequent CD place, I noticed 50+k/h speeds. I vaguely remembered some tip (like above probably) about the magnets and sensors. So I stopped and pivoted my speed sensor away from the magnet a tad. Has worked fine ever since!

Russ
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Velocomp wrote:If you're getting crazy speeds most likely there is one of three problems:

1) your speed sensor is too close to the hub. Position your speed sensor (and magnet) close to the rim

2) your speed sensor is too close to the cadence sensor. Move the speed sensor and magnet as far away from the cadence sensor as possible

3) your wheel circumference is too high. It should be around 2096 (700 x 23C wheel).

Let us all know if one of these three suggestions fixes your problem.
Don't forget 4) If you have more than one magnet on the wheel for multiple devices, make sure there is plenty of seperation between them so that your iBike speed sensor never picks up ticks from any other magnets.