Speed sensor on seat stay DLP style

rider of rohan

Speed sensor on seat stay DLP style

Post by rider of rohan »

So I just got my wireless kit and haven't installed it yet. I noticed the DLP team seems to have their speed sensor on the seat stay like Boyd here. Anybody else use this configuration? Does it make sure the speed and cadence magnets don't cause weird readings by being too close? Is it better on the seat stay?
Attachments
boydfoodlion.jpg
boydfoodlion.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
ddotmark

Re: Speed sensor on seat stay DLP style

Post by ddotmark »

You should have no problem mounting your speed sensor on the seat stay and the cadence sensor on the chain stay like the photo of the DLP rider. I have my sensors set up the same way and have not had any cross-talk between the sensors . I have my speed sensor mounted pretty high on the seat stay to keep it as far away from the cadence sensor as possible. I would advise flipping the speed sensor to the front side of the seat stay versus the rear side like the DLP rider. Why you ask...because, if the DLP rider's sensor came loose it could flip into the spokes and be sucked into the wheel. I placed my speed sensor on the front side of the stay. If my sensor comes loose and swings into the direction of the spokes, in theory the spokes will kick the sensor out because of the forward motion of the wheel.
D. Mark
Brooklyn, NY
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

I don't think that the proximity of the sensors to one another is a factor. Mine are mounted next to each other, one over the chainstay (speed) and the other under the chainstay (cadence). They don't interfere with each other.

I think it's more of a matter of preference, and perhaps with teams, uniformity.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

I put the speed sensor on the seatstay just to keep it away from the cadence sensor. It could have been on either. I know it should be flipped so it's facing forward and I may get to that, but I wanted easy access to the battery door when I first put it on my bike. Since I haven't had to touch the battery in the speed sensor since getting the ibike, I may just flip it around in case something does happen and it loosens. No need in taking three spokes out should something bad happen.

On the TT bike, the speed sensor is facing forward, also on the seatstay, but that was more due to the shape of the aero tubing.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories