WLS FAIL DURING RIDES

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

WLS FAIL DURING RIDES

Post by Velocomp »

We've had a few cyclists report that they get unexpected WLS FAIL messages during their rides. When this happens the natural temptation is to start replacing batteries, do new pairings, etc. DON'T DO THIS!!!

The problem is simple: most likely your sensors have gone to sleep because the bike has been motionless (or, you've been coasting for a long time down a really long down hill and the cadence sensor has gone to sleep).

The Garmin combined speed/cadence sensor goes to sleep very quickly: in about 2 minutes by our estimates. This is done to save battery life.

Our original iBike sensors go to sleep in about 5 minutes. Again, battery life savings. (Our latest sensors go to sleep after 20 minutes--far more reasonable in our view).

When any of these sensors go to sleep you'll get the WLS FAIL message.

The fix is simple: spin the wheel and crank, then press the iBike/iAero center button. You'll get SPD FOUND, CAD FOUND.

If you're waiting at the start of a group ride spin the wheel and crank periodically to keep the sensors awake. This will avoid the WLS FAIL message.

If you're riding and do see the WLS FAIL message then press the center button of the iBike. That should get things going again.
John Hamann
Freebird

Re: WLS FAIL DURING RIDES

Post by Freebird »

Hi,
Is there a way to identify which sensors one has, by serial number etc?

Thx
alback

Post by alback »

John:
If I understand this correctly, when the unit indicates a wireless fail, it stops recording from the sensors until the centre button is pushed?

Yesterday in preparing for my 2nd ride, I turned on the iAero and did the wind and alt resets, I spun my wheel with the crank and was already wearing my heart strap. I didn't check to see a found message.

When I started the ride only moments later, I saw no watts, no speed and no heart rate. I definitely pushed the centre button and scrolled screens frantically during the first .5km trying to see any data. I stopped my ride and returned home, did a re-setup of the wireless to find and everything was found, and then it worked. I also did a reset for the ride to separate the original start from my data. I completed the ride and everythng continued to work throughout the hour.

When I connected to the computer, the 1 hour ride was available for downloading. IBike2 indicated there was a sensor ID change to my profile and asked if I wanted to update my profile. When I checked to see what had changed, the new ID numbers were the same. I now noticed that original ID numbers had a 0 type in all but the speed, it was marked as Type 1. However the speed type had changed from type 1 to type 0 after this ride. I don't understand why the type would change or what is the difference between a type 1 or 0?

I have only had the wireless function for 2 days and it has faulted each day - or I am not starting out properly. (you may recall my first ride with the iAero, the cadence didn't record, although watts/speed/HR did). I haven't touched the sensors since they are very solid from the original installation and I can hear clicks as the magnets pass. Nor has there been any drop outs during the 2 rides where they all worked, some up to speeds of 50 km and RPM of 124.

Alan
alback

Post by alback »

What is the difference between a type 0 and a type 1 sensor? Also, how do we tell if we have the 20 minute vs the 5 minute models.

I ask as both days this week-end, I stopped during my ride to re-hydrate and eat a 40 gram protein bar. I do this about every 45 minutes during rides over 2 hours. Both days this week-end, on only one stop, my IAero lost contact with the sensors until I pushed the centre button once again? I definitely didn't stop for more than a few minutes. I don't know if the loss of signal is the iAero or the sensors cutting out to save battery life. I tend to believe it is the iAero as all 3 wireless sensors were out and the iAero didn't display anything other than tilt.
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

Whenever I have a sensor go to sleep, I get a "<sensor name> Fail" message, not a "WLS Fail".

The only time I received "WLS Fail" messages is when the iBike would rotate on the mount a little bit from ride vibration--enough to cause loss of all sensors.

A bit of waterproof tape around the circumference of the mount increased the interference fit and keeps the iBike from rotating--no more "WLS Fail" messages.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
alback

Post by alback »

My iAero is quite tight as I twist it onto the mount. I don't believe it rotates during any ride just yet, but I will watch for this. Are you saying the bayonnet mount loosens after a while? Doesn't that work against the process of ensuring we have a solid mount??

I didn't read any FAIL messages, however I wasn't checking out for them either. Since all 3 required a re-connect, it appears this happened in the main unit.

thanks for the help,

Alan
alback

Post by alback »

I am using my replacement IAero now, I haven't had the same wireless fails as I had before. I did have one the other day, but I not only ate a power bar, I also made a couple of calls on my cell. The entire iAero unit had turned off, which I didn't realise until I had rode for a couple of kilometers. A user setting in the firmware would help here as I would easily forego some battery life to reduce risk of missing a percentage of ride data.

Today, my heartrate stopped while riding. I had been riding for 5 minutes, however I was with my family so it could have been a stop to tweak a setting on their bike or something other than the iAero. I didn't notice until I pushed the centre button for a screen change and the message came up HR found? Then after I downloaded the ride data, the HR was missing for about 15 minutes.

Again, it would help if there was some type of alert in the iAero screen to indicate of the 3 sensors (in the profile) were not receiving, a sound isn't possible with todays units, but for future consideration?

Perhaps there could be a symbol for each of the sensors engaged so the user could see when one has dropped out?

Alan
rsmithersfitness

Post by rsmithersfitness »

I am getting wireless fail during rides. I have the iAero and everything will work fine for 5 min. then all of the sudden while riding I get a wireless fail. It will reconnect then fail again. Then I try to reconnect and nothing. What would be the cause of this. I just started to have this problem this week. I never had a single problem prior. Sensors are lined up perfectly. Batteries all have plenty of power. I'm baffled at this point. :?:
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Measure how long it takes for the WLS FAIL message to appear. If it's around ten seconds your mount is not working properly. If so email me at jhamann@velocomp.com and we will replace your mount.
John Hamann
tyhaar

Post by tyhaar »

Hi,

I'm having the WLS Fail message now even before getting out riding. I did a couple rides with it this past week and everything was working fine and with the Garmin 705. My Garmin is picking up the signals fine but to be sure since I have been off the bike for awhile for a injury and changed out the batteries. Still no signal and lucky I had another wireless mount to test on my road bike. Loaded that profile and it worked fine narrowing down my problem to my wireless mount on my fix gear. It fails within 5-10 seconds. Checked the contact points and they were fine.

What do I need to do about getting a replacement?

Thanks....

--Update the wireless mount woke on me right as I was heading out the door. Thought I would do the tilt/wind cal. again and tried getting it to sync again and did. I was wondering if anything could have been interferring with it like cell, wireless home router. Then again the my road bike wireless did sync after trying to pinpoint the problem. Did a 2 hr. ride with it tonight and all was fine. Don't know......
Ty