Cannot Pair with Garmin Strap

mlennox

Cannot Pair with Garmin Strap

Post by mlennox »

Hello, I have firmware 1.90 (iAero G) and cannot for the life of me get the HR strap from my 705 to pair with the iAero. No problems pairing my speed/cadence sensor, but cannot get HR despite many attempts and following the instructions.

2 Questions

1. Has anyone successfully paired the HR belt that comes with the 705 (HRM1B) specifically. I'm not talking about the older model Garmin straps (HRM1) but the new version of the HR Belt that is now shipped with Garmin products (HRM1B). Not sure what has changed, but the "B" would indicate a new revision of the belt.

2. Why is wireless pairing with iBike such a "black art" as compared with the Garmin devices? With the 705, you simply force a re-scan from the unit and you're done (no battery removal or complicated order-dependent steps). Is this something we can expect to be simplified in future releases of the iAero firmware?

Thanks.
racerfern

Re: Cannot Pair with Garmin Strap

Post by racerfern »

Mark,

I use the iBike strap for the ibike and the 705. My new 705 HR strap is still wrapped up in plastic. I don't think it should be any different, however.

Go into WLS CFG make sure HRT is set to find. Before exiting WLS CFG take the battery out of the HR strap, flip it over, then flip it back. Now exit WLS CFG and squeeze the ribbed section of the HR strap to each side of center section. The upper number should blink and say HRT Found. I know you are comfortable with the process, but just in case...

Yeah the hoops you have to jump through are a pain but everything we have asked for has been accomplished so hopefully a newer version of the firmware will make pairing as easy as the Garmin method.
Fernando
mlennox

Post by mlennox »

What exactly is the purpose of flipping the battery backwards? I didn't need to do this for the speed/cadence sensor, I just pressed the "reset" button, then turned the crank to get the cadence and speed magnets to wake up the sensors.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

When you flip a battery backwards you are actually touching the positive side of the battery to both battery terminal contacts. If there were any electronic component holding any latent voltage it would zero it out, totally resetting the unit.

I'm surprised that doing a reset on the cad sensor did the trick for pairing purposes.

Did you get the newer version of the HR strap to work?
Fernando
mlennox

Post by mlennox »

I did get the HR strap working, thanks Fernando. I'd still like to see a more seemless pairing process a la Garmin, but I'm wondering if this is a function of the wireless mount and not the device firmware...
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

mlennox wrote:...but I'm wondering if this is a function of the wireless mount and not the device firmware...
Good point. It might just be.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are captive to the pairing protocols that have been created by the ANT+Sport manufacturer (Garmin subsidiary Dynastream).

I fully agree that the pairing procedure could be much more user-friendly, but creating that better procedure is something that Dynastream must do.

Garmin has much more influence over Dynastream than we have... :-)
John Hamann
mlennox

Post by mlennox »

Velocomp wrote:We are captive to the pairing protocols that have been created by the ANT+Sport manufacturer (Garmin subsidiary Dynastream).

I fully agree that the pairing procedure could be much more user-friendly, but creating that better procedure is something that Dynastream must do.

Garmin has much more influence over Dynastream than we have... :-)
If this is the case, why is the pairing process so simple between the Garmin devices and the sensors? There is no battery removal or resetting involved, you just choose the "rescan" menu option on the device for each different sensor voila, no problems. The only issue is that if you have more than one active sensor (such as 2 HR straps or 2 Speed/Cadence sensors) within range, it will warn you about this.

Are you suggesting that Garmin has a "hidden" API that they use for pairing but what they make available to the outside world is less friendly?
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

The reason is because their product is heavier than granite (proverbially speaking), and has mondo processing power, and it absolutely eats batteries. In our quest for small, light, and inexpensive, we had to be more creative. Also, there's a Microsoft Effect as well. If you own the code, you get to write in all the goodies first, and maybe not even tell others about them at all. That's what sank WordPerfect... MS had both the OS and their own Word Processor, and they were able to push it faster and easier with less code.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Marc:

Garmin makes their own combined speed/cadence sensor. As you know their combined speed/cadence sensor includes a "reset" button that eliminates the need for battery removal and reversal (the reset button initiates the internal change necessary to transmit the pairing code; for our sensors the battery reversal initiates the reset function that causes the pairing signal to be sent). Furthermore, with their combined sensor they need to transmit only ONE pairing code for the complete sensor.

We do NOT make our speed and cadence sensors; Dynastream, a division of Garmin, does. These sensors do NOT include the convenient "reset" button; that is a design decision that Dynastream made. Also, each sensor uses its own pairing ID so there needs to be two separate pairing processes, not the single process of the combined speed/cadence sensor.

The "rescan" button in the Garmin is the equivalent of the "press center button" of the iAero. We require 3 rescans because we have 3 separate sensors (speed, cadence, HR); Garmin requires two scans because they have two sensors (speed/cadence and HR).

Garmin will NOT sell us their combined speed/cadence sensor (I asked). Dynastream will not create a combined speed/cadence sensor for us (I asked).

In fact, if you look at the PT wireless sensors you'll see that they are identical in appearance and functionality to ours...

Richard is correct; sometimes the owner keeps the best goodies for themselves...
John Hamann
mlennox

Post by mlennox »

Rich and John, understand what you're saying, and since I'm using the iAero G and the Garmin combined sensor, I actually found the speed/cadence sensor pairing quite easy. I just did a reset, triggered the sensors by rotating the cranks and presto, iAero found it not problem.

Where I'm confused is the HR Belt, which is from what I understand identical to the iBike HR belt. With the 705, if I want to pair a heart rate belt, I simply moisten it, put it on my chest and navigate the 705 to the "ANT+Sport" menu, do a rescan, and it finds it no problems.

With the iAero, this did not work, I had to go through the battery removal and reversal procedure first, which then required me to do a re-scan on all my other Garmin units (Edge 305, Edge 705, Forerunner 305, Forerunner 50)... I use the same HR belt for 4 different computers, so if it's possible to do the iBike pairing without battery removal like with the Garmin units, it would be fantastic.

Perhaps as Rich suggested there is something Garmin is not telling you guys, but it seems pairing can be done without forcing the HR to transmit a pairing signal?
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

I've seen this happen a lot, and it's still a mystery to me. The best thing is to call John during the week and walk through it. Once you get the signal, however, stop, go in to the software, go to profiles, edit profiles, advanced, and then click 'get from ibike' to get the 5-digit signals. Write them down somewhere safe, and if you ever have a problem, just 'push' the sensor values in to the profile you're using, and you SHOULD be good to go.

The only other thing I can think of is that we've maybe had more HR straps show up DOA than speed or cadence sensors. Speed/cadence sensors are almost NEVER bum, but HR straps, I think I've seen maybe a handful that were bad from the beginning.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Marc:

Your reply is helpful. The first time you paired your HR strap to your Garmin the HR strap sent its wireless ID to the 705. Any subsequent "rescan" simply awakens the 705 and instructs it to look for the previously determined ID.

Since your iAero doesn't know the wireless ID of the strap (the iAero wasn't there the first time the HR strap sent the code) it can't pair to it. It does not know what ID it is looking for.

The purpose of flipping the battery in the HR strap is to re-initiate the pairing sequence, forcing the HR strap to send out a new code.

I agree that re-pairing everything is a bit of a pain, but you're unusual in having 4 Garmin units!

I'll check to see if there is something hidden in the protocol that will help us with this issue, too.
John Hamann
mlennox

Post by mlennox »

Velocomp wrote:Marc:
I agree that re-pairing everything is a bit of a pain, but you're unusual in having 4 Garmin units!
I'll check to see if there is something hidden in the protocol that will help us with this issue, too.
Let's just say that I'm a "hi-tech athlete"... :-)

Thanks John.
AndrewK

Post by AndrewK »

Hi

I have the iAero with the Garmin firmware. I have everything paired but want to pair to the Garmin speed/cadence. Currently the Aero is paired to the HR strap, the iBike cadence and iBike Speed sesnor and Power out to the 705.

How easy is it to pair the Garmin GSC10? I am a little worried because if I fiddle I am sure to lose all the other pairings and thus will need to redo the batteries etc. :-( Is it as easy as go to wireless cfg, turn on the Garmin sensor and turn the cranks or do I need to remove the battery from the Garmin combined sensor???

Thanks

Andrew
mlennox

Post by mlennox »

You need the "G" firmware in order to pair with the Garmin combined speed/cadence sensor.

Also, I've discovered a little trick (thanks to racerfern) with the 705 where you can get the pairing codes and then simply enter them into your iBike 2 software profile and upload to the device... no pairing required. And since the pairing process on the Garmin is much simpler/easier than on the iBike, you can save yourself a lot of headache. I'd love to see an iBike firmware to change that would allow you to manually enter pairing codes right on the device itself.

Anyway, if you hold down "enter" on the 705 (push the joystick) while powering on the device, you enter the debug screen. Press the mode button twice and now you are on the device pairing screen which will show you the pairing codes. Enter these in your iBike 2 profile and upload... voila.