intermittent erratic speed problem

gordon5m

intermittent erratic speed problem

Post by gordon5m »

I have a wireless iBike Pro, w/ the latest firmware, and it's been working great until now. I am now getting erratic speed readings, but only intermittently. I went for a ride today, and my speed was spiking downward as much as 50% for about the first 20-30 minutes. Then, it smoothed out and acted normal. Then, in the last 20 minutes or so of my ride, it started getting erratic again. I have checked the batteries (all above 290 on the batt level), and the magnet/sensor spacing is perfect. Also, I ride w/ a wireless Garmin Edge along side my iBike, and it doesn't show any erratic speed behavior, so I know that the speed/cad sensor is fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can also post a ride file showing this behavior if anyone thinks it would help.
Thanks!
Gordon Moore
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: intermittent erratic speed problem

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file
John Hamann
gordon5m

Post by gordon5m »

OK, here's the ride file. Notice the noise from ~5 min to ~35 min, then again from 1hr 30 min to almost the end. The noise at ~1hr is due to the flat that I had.

Thanks for having a look.
Gordon
Attachments
iBike_10_31_2010_1229_27_Miles.csv
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 413 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You do have a lot of speed spikes. This is likely caused by your speed/cadence sensor.

I would replace the battery from your combined speed/cadence sensor. When replacing it, put it in backwards for a moment so that you'll reset the sensor. Then, put it in normally, wave a magnet past it, then wait one minute before pairing it with your iBike. You'll likely need to pair it with your Garmin too.

Your ride file shows that you're still using firmware 4.0 and iBike 3.0.5 software. This is ancient stuff! You should install the latest iBike software, available elsewhere on the ibikeforum, then install the latest ibike firmware (424).
John Hamann
gordon5m

Post by gordon5m »

OK, I will give that a try. And thanks for the heads up on the new software!
Cheers,
Gordon