How to add new wireless IDs to old profiles

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: How to add new wireless IDs to old profiles

Post by Velocomp »

Suppose you have a good profile stored in iBike 2 but you change the battery in your one of your sensors (for example, you change the battery in your speed sensor).

Or, you decide to put a Garmin sensor on your bike instead of your iBike sensors. NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING GARMIN SENSORS WITH YOUR IBIKE YOU MUST HAVE "IBIKE G" FIRMWARE INSTALLED ON YOUR IBIKE.

Or, suppose for whatever reason you do a new pairing of your wireless sensors (either iBike or Garmin).

Each time you change a sensor battery, change sensors or do a new pairing procedure the wireless IDs stored in your iBike will change. Your iBike will continue to work just fine.

However, when you first created a Profile in iBike 2 the original profile stored (among other things) the wireless IDs that were in the iBike at the time you created the profile.

So as a consequence of the new pairing there is a mismatch between the wireless IDs stored in your iBike and those stored in the corresponding iBike 2 profile.

Until you update your iBike 2 profile, any time you upload the "old" profile stored in your computer into your iBike you'll put the OLD (and WRONG) wireless IDs back into your iBike. Your sensors won't talk to the iBike and you will get the dreaded WLS FAIL message.

CONCLUSION: whenever you do a new pairing procedure you must update your OLD profile with your NEW wireless IDs.

This posting will tell you the simple way to update your iBike 2 profile so that the wireless IDs stored in the profile are correct and most current.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE RUNNING IBIKE 2 VERSION 2.0.4 OR BEFORE THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS POSTING WON'T WORK. UPDATE YOUR IBIKE 2 SOFTWARE TO VERSION 2.0.6+ AND THEN FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN THIS POSTING.

The iBike 2 software version 2.06+ has an automatic checking routine that identifies and corrects changed wireless IDs automatically.

Your iBike's memory stores both your drag coefficients and your wireless IDs. Effective with version 2.0.6 of iBike 2, each time you download a ride the iBike 2 software checks your drag coefficients and wireless IDs stored in your iBike, finds the profile stored in iBike 2 that matches the drag coefficients, and then compares the iBike-stored wireless IDs with the wireless IDs stored with the corresponding iBike 2 profile.

If the wireless IDs stored in the iBike are different from those stored in the iBike 2 database, the software will say: "Found new wireless IDs in the iBike unit. Would you like to save these in your matching profile "xxx xxx"? where "xxx xxx" is the name of the profile you created.

If you answer "Yes" to this question your wireless IDs will be updated automatically and you're all done.

Just another reason to keep upgrading your iBike 2 software to the latest version. :D
John Hamann
tyhaar

Post by tyhaar »

Reading these instructions (I just posted in Gen III troubleshooting forum) and did say yes to finding the newer ID's for all three of my profiles on 3 different bikes. They all have a separate Garmin speed/cad. sensor on each but when I change profiles it goes through the same process over and DFPM list comes up to choose from? I checked the ID numbers for each profile and they were all different? I'm wondering since you can store 2 profiles on the Gen III its trying to load those numbers for the empty spot? The DFPM menu coming up tho is confusing when I don't have one on any of my bikes.
Ty
heith

Post by heith »

I'm having trouble getting my iBike to communicate with my garmin spd/cad sensor after i take a few days off the bike. Every time I download a ride I get new DFPM IDs found but I have no DFPF. Am I suppose to click save anyways because it's really trying to save my garmin speed cad sensor to get rid of my problem? DFPM is off too so I don't understand why it's even looking for DFPM ID's.
tyhaar

Post by tyhaar »

I'm still having the same problem myself. I don't have a DFPM and I did save the ID's to see what happen's and just comes up with a DFPM menu to choose one. Everytime I change my profile for another bike it does the same thing over and over.

When I do save the ID's an change over to another bike with a new profile I have to go into setup and have click that SPD/CAD found which it was and then it finds the sensor.

I just now cancel that message as not to keep going through the process of re-finding the SPD/CAD sensor for each profile. When I do that it connects no problem with each of my profiles on my bike's....
Ty
heith

Post by heith »

Mine just loses the Garmin speed cadence sensor ID or my garmin sensor just changes them after a few days, I don't know but my Garmin 305 picks it up right away if I turn it on so I know it's working and I don't have any problem with the heart strap. i just have to re pair the spd/cad with the iBike. But when I download and save ID's I get this DFPM thing. It's not that big a deal but sometimes it takes like 15-20 minutes for the thing to pair. I do ride with people that have power taps maybe it's just picking up their stuff but then again mines off.