Wireless failure after changing battery in iPro.

aytchkay

Wireless failure after changing battery in iPro.

Post by aytchkay »

I put a new battery in my Gen 3 iPro and now wireless pairing fails - everytime!! I go to 'setup', SCAN, Yes...and it fails every time.

My iBike has been working flawlessly for the past few months too! I have firmware 4.02 installed. I read many previous posts regarding wireless failures and it seems that I should change all the batteries -sensors & mount - wait 1 minute and try again...

I also saw a post which resulted in firmware 4.03, which I also installed...still failures..

I will try again today after changing all the batteries - cad, spd and hr. Should I also 'reset' each battery unit, prior to installing the new battery?
By the way, am I correct to assume that the way to check the battery level is to install any battery in the iPro and go to BATT? and they should all be a minimum of 2.85v?

Any other suggestions before I go thru this later this evening? I had to ride with a blank iPro yesterday (Sunday)
I have been using my iPro for 'fitness training' and it's been just great!! I've already advanced 2 levels in 1 month!!

thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wireless failure after changing battery in iPro.

Post by Velocomp »

Aaron will email you.
John Hamann
aytchkay

Post by aytchkay »

I found the problem!
I had washed my bike Saturday in preparation for my Sunday ride. The iPro was not on the mount. It appears that the mount is NOT waterproof!
I went to reset all the sensors and the mount and discovered moisture in the mount and the battery was dead...probably shorted out.
So I will be careful in the future when I wash my bike.
Would it help to have the iPro mounted when I wash it?
I hope this helps someone else....

howard
pjboyle

Post by pjboyle »

I had a wireless mount fail due to a corroded contact from water getting in the battery door. With the new mount, I have basically been covering it with plastic if I don't have the iAero mounted to it, unless the bike is in the garage. If you are spraying your bike with water the mount is definitely vulnerable if not covered. I think my problem previously was from transporting the bike on the rack on the back of the car. I got caught in the rain a couple of times coming home after the ride. Today I finished a ride and the skies were threatening, and my plastic baggie had disappeared, so I used a nitirle glove I keep in my seat bag. I use a velcro strap and cinch it tightly around the circumference of the mount to hold the plastic (or glove) on. If there is excess sticking out (as with the glove today), I put another strip of velcro around the stem to hold it from flapping. This has been holding even at highway speeds. Sure enough 10 minutes into the drive today it poured, but the mount was secure and dry.

PJBoyle
lungbuster

Post by lungbuster »

I noticed the mount was a bit exposed when I wash my bike the other day. Thanks for the tip about covering the mount.
Regards
Wayne Gebert

http://www.coburgcycling.com.au
arkiejon

Post by arkiejon »

Now that is helpful information. :D

I'm going to put an extra zip lock bag and a couple of twist ties in my saddle bag.

Thanks for the tip
aytchkay

Post by aytchkay »

I let the mount dry out for 2 days....put a new battery in it....tested it and it sync'd just fine...
The next day, Sunday, during a ride in the burbs...my iPro would NOT sync...so another ride went iPro-less! :(
When I got home I tested the mount battery in the iPro, and it was dead again! Hmmmm...is my mount toast cause it got wet once? It looks fine in there. I can't figure this one out. Do I have to get a new mount now - those are pricey!

Velocomp, please advise... :?:

howard
jparker

Post by jparker »

Howard, I had a similar problem with a mount ,that for some reason, would kill the battery in 2 days without even being used. Luckily mine was still under warranty but if your mount is using up the battery it will need to be repalced because there is no fix for this problem. :(
KevinM

Post by KevinM »

Can a Velocomp rep please answer the following questions:

1. is the mount water proof when the iBike/iAero is not attached;
2. is the mount water proof when the iBike/iAero is attached;

Following is the only refererence regarding water exposure in the instruction manual:

"IS THE IBIKE SUITABLE FOR RAINY RIDES?
Yes! Your iBike was designed to be water resistant so don’t worry if you get it wet. If the
front port becomes filled with water your power readings may be wrong. To correct this
problem, remove your iBike, blow the water out of the front port, and dry your mount and
underside of the iBike with a dry cloth. Replace and continue on your ride."

Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We've learned the hard way never to believe that ANYTHING is waterproof...

When your Gen III iBike is fastened to your mount there is a clear gasket that prevents water from entering the mount area. We've had good success with this design and very few problems with water penetration.

When the iBike is removed the mount can be exposed to water. There is a small o-ring that should prevent water from entering the mount area; however, if that o-ring is missing, or the battery door is not attached tightly,or if water sits on the mount top for a long time, water can seep into the mount.

We've had some customers, who expose their mounts regularly to water, put tape over the battery door. Also, we recommend that the mount be wiped-dry if water is on it.
John Hamann
heith

Post by heith »

I've noticed that some Energizer batteries have power numbers on the iBike above 310. When I use one of these in the wireless mount I will get a fail. They work in all other parts; such as, iBike head unit, cadence, speed cadence, HR strap,etc. but when I put one in the wireless mount I'll get that wireless fail every time. I like these batteries for the head unit and everything else because they last a long time but I buy cheaper batteries or slightly used batteries for the mount.