Possibly a scan problem? for Velocomp please.

bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Possibly a scan problem? for Velocomp please.

Post by bex »

I added a post to another thread in the board but I thought I would start another thread.
First a question:
Over what distance can the ibike/aero/pro pickup the wireless signals from cad, speed or HR.
The following has only started to happen since loading f/w 4.02 into both our units.
I went for a ride last week with my wife. She has an Iaero. I use a wireless Ipro.
I powered up her unit making sure mine was well away from hers (and it was off anyway) it found her cad and speed and there was no HR strap.
I then powered up mine and my unit found my HR Cad and speed.
We started the ride and I noticed my watts were somewhere around 60% less than expected. I assumed it was because I was in the first 5 minutes of the ride, but it continued.
Then I got a speed and cad fail. I stopped, my wife went on. I repaired my unit by using the scan option.
I started again with no problems then as I caught up with my wife I got the speed and cad fail again.
I went back into scan and noticed that the number 4 on the screen. I re scanned again and set off, and there were no more problems.
Next day was on my own and when I powered up the unit I go no find message. I did scan again and found the sensors and went out. About 10 minutes and I got the fail message again on cad and speed. I did the scan again and everything was OK.
Today, I went for another ride with my wife. My unit was on my bike outside about 20 feet from my wifes (hers was in the kitchen). I powered up her unit and found cad and speed (no HRM was used)
I went outside and did mine and found HR Cad and Speed.
We went out and I noticed my watts being under reported by more than half. I waited the five minutes but it continued.
I stopped to re scan and noticed a number 4 in the display. Did scan and then set off again. No problem untll I caught up with my wife and then the watts started to under report again.
As she moved away from me, about 15 feet or more, my watts came back up. I stopped, went back into scan and there was 4 in the display again.
I also did a scan on hers.
We set off and it looked ok for 10 minutes then the under reporting started again. She went ahead and my watts came back up.
Whats going on then?

Bex
coachboyd

Re: Possibly a scan problem? for Velocomp please.

Post by coachboyd »

If you are doing a scan while in the vicinity of other iBikes you can easily pick up their signal.
The best thing to do is have your iBike all by itself. Get all your sensors paired and then the wireless codes will be written into you profile. There should be no reason to do a scan anymore, and it will only look for the sensor IDs that you already have paired.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

If you do a scan - in an isolated situation - and you have an iBike Pro or Aero, download the profile, then reload the profile. you will store the ids of the sensors. This may be a part of what is going on - the ids you have in the iBike do not correspond to your sensors and a search becomes necessary. Get the correct ids saved and this may solve your issue.

Tom
bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Post by bex »

Thanks Guys. I will give that a try.

Bex